Braking through a corner

• Thread starter oik01
  • 10 comments
So I learned a good part of racing technique from a youtube video series : and practice on project cars.

One of the things they talk about in that video series was breaking through a corner. They still taught to get most of the braking done before entry, but they argued for keeping a small amount of breaking to be done during cornering so as to minimize breaking distances and because the breaks would shift the weight of the car forward and help you steer in.

My experience with GT sport is that the game tends to prefer gliding in corners. I think I am faster through most corners when I don't leave any breaking for the corner at all. Is this everyone's experience? Should I change my racing style for this game?

There are times where braking through a corner, or trail braking, can be significantly faster than getting all of your done before the corner. When done right both your cornering speed and exit speed will be higher. Turn 4 at Interlagos is a good example. However, I’m finding that trail braking is kind of difficult and takes practice to master.

It depends, really. Not all corners are for trail braking (turn one at nurb gp), and some corners it's faster to glide that trail brake (first right-hander afterthe Schumacher esses in the same track), and some corners it's faster to trail brake (turns 1 and 2 at Suzuka)
It's all situational. Find the best technique per corner and you'll fly :)

It depends, really. Not all corners are for trail braking (turn one at nurb gp), and some corners it's faster to glide that trail brake (first right-hander afterthe Schumacher esses in the same track), and some corners it's faster to trail brake (turns 1 and 2 at Suzuka)
It's all situational. Find the best technique per corner and you'll fly :)

Do you guys agree though that you don't get as much turn in during braking as you do in other games like project cars?

Definitely a technique worth learning I think. I have tried occasionally to use it but haven't got the hang of it. Might do some sessions dedicated to learning to use it efficiently :)

It is a good technique if you get it right, for sure. I'm not very practiced in doing it so I prefer to brake in a straight line, but definitely at corners like Suzuka turn 1 I will try and trailbrake.

Definitely a technique worth learning I think. I have tried occasionally to use it but haven't got the hang of it. Might do some sessions dedicated to learning to use it efficiently :)

It's a tough skill to learn. Finding the balance of proper corner speed and trail brake takes time. I have found at times when I trail brake in I have scrubbed off too much speed, and end up applying throttle before the apex. There are also cars that by design allow more trail braking than others, as well as corners that trail braking is just plain bad.

Trail braking on non load cell brake pedals is also a challenge.

Have you got gold in all the circuit missions? You will find a way round quickly on each corner once you practice each corner to get gold. Sometimes trail braking can work the opposite and spin you out or slow you down especially on RWD cars if you turn in error as you are braking. It is harder on DS4 than the wheel. Each car is different. Maybe try the FWD or AWD cars first then the RWD cars and see the difference.

Back