Breakdown of a Driveclub WR hotlap

• Thread starter Moto54
  • 5 comments
United States
United States
Thanks to MeanElf for inspiring this. He actually didnt seem all that Mean, IMO.

You need to know a track well to post a good hotlap in Driveclub.
Another issue is your laptime goals will shrink to absurd margins;
you eventually put a large value on a small fraction of a second.

But the payoff for effort is not just lap times. You learn more by going faster.
Some guys, for example, assume drifting is the quick way around a corner. Well it might be,
or it might not- the point is to know. By finding out you learn what kind of game Driveclub is.
Does Driveclub reward handbrake turns with low lap times, or not?
This is exactly where the game gets sophisticated.

Driveclub is actually strict about whats fast and what isnt! You cant change it.
On the other hand we all have the same car, we all have the same track.
There are no special tires or suspension setups or mods. You already have what you need.
This is a short guide of what I found useful to know about one car on one track. I'm not a
know-it-all. I'm just trying to show how attention to detail gets rewarded in Driveclub.

The car is the RUF GT8 and the track is Glenmorgan, India.
My best time is a 1:19.351, and at the moment the fastest global Leaderboard time is 1:19.681.
So if my PS4 was connected to the internet my lap would be ranked...? :-)

Glenmorgan, India / RUF GT8

Driveclub does not have FF sensations like PCars, but what it does have- and what you should pay
attention to, are dips and rises in the track surface. Driving these correctly is important. It matters.
An example happens just past the first corner, a fast right. The asphalt turns dark just before you get
on the bridge, and this change of surface marks a slight hump. You're trying to carry all the speed
you can onto the bridge, but the hump unweights the car that little bit. The answer is to take it into
account as you arrive, rather than ease off. At the end of the bridge theres a right hander
and the road dips down.
In general a dip will absorb your corner speed bigtime- if you handbrake through it.
The dip acts like a cup, and what fills the cup is your momentum. Heres the section:

Following that is a flat out left hander and a very unstable section of track (!) before two right handers.
Whats hillarious about the unstable humps and dips past the flat out left is that they cancel each other
out if you dont react to them individually. In other words if you react to the car when it first becomes
unbalanced, you're toast. Just let the road toss you around.. it ends up being quite alright.
The second of the right handers is important to nail in terms of exit line.
The fence on the left wants to suck you in. Heres that section:

Next is the most important section. Why? because its where I think most people miscalculate. It starts with a
slow left hander, but that slow left begins a fast run down to the second bridge nearly flat out the whole way.
The correct idea is to begin that fast run as soon as possible and in good order, and you cant DO that if
youre busy demonstrating your handbrake skills at the slow left and fish-tailing around.
Sacrifice corner speed at the slow left so you can maximize acceleration on exit.
The sooner you start that run to the bridge the better. When you get to the bridge use all the surface!
Heres the section:

Lastly comes a fast, and if you want 'scary' section. Scary because there are lots of dips and hollows and
they are big, and you are going fast, and the car does not feel stable flying over them. If you feel secure
here, its a sure sign you are not going fast enough. This is where you test your nerve.
Its where your perfect lap up to that point gets a taste of the 'Driveclub Treatment' which means
the very last corner takes on various personalities, depending on how badly you want that perfect lap.
In any case the last section is intense and wonderful. Here it is:

If it all went well you have a nice easy run down to the checker at the end of it.
If it didnt all go well.. then welcome to the club!
Glenmorgan is one of the jems of Driveclub. Overall the lesson from it is to pay attention to
track undulations, or whatever you want to call them. Thats one of the big lessons Driveclub teaches
you overall, in fact.

Full lap including the gear change HUD:

Glenmorgan leaderboard as of June 14, 2015:

GlenRUF.jpg

Last edited:
He actually didnt seem all that Mean, IMO.
This is a bad idea for a thread and he knew it all along.

Kidding, of course. Great read. It's a bit frustrating when those top times seem so unachievable and you just can't figure out what those 'aliens' did to go so fast, so it's great to have you sharing your 'secret' for us mere mortals.

This is a bad idea for a thread and he knew it all along.
Kidding, of course. Great read. It's a bit frustrating when those top times seem so unachievable and you just can't figure out what those 'aliens' did to go so fast, so it's great to have you sharing your 'secret' for us mere mortals.

The Codemasters Grid 2 forums before that game came out? Good to see you again.

I can boil a lot of Time Trial down to a simple formula: If you EVER see a green split-time
during a lap then your job is not done no matter if you end the lap with that advantage or not.
In other words if Im on a lap and I see a green .250 on the first split, but I finish the lap
being .400 red, then I know that place has at least .250 in it I havent captured yet.

Its not relevant that I capture the green time at the end of the lap.. the point is knowing
its there, and that I found it. Thats ground zero. Going from #99 on the Leaderboard to #9
is about finding ONE green split, again and again.

A mental picture might be: for the first 30 minutes a new track is a healthy fat cow heavy with green
split time bulk. After 2 hours there is much less bulk and you can even start to see the ribs showing.
By the second day of learning a track the cow is deceased. What easy green-splits there are barely feed
the flies hovering around the carcass. For Top 10 Leaderboard types there are only sun baked bones
where a cow once stood, but they persist. By then even the flies have long ago lost interest.
Top 3 Leaderboard in Driveclub means knowing how to locate and identify trace deposits of calcium,
and how to scan them for elementary green particles.

Does that help you?

:)

The Codemasters Grid 2 forums before that game came out? Good to see you again.

I can boil a lot of Time Trial down to a simple formula: If you EVER see a green split-time
during a lap then your job is not done no matter if you end the lap with that advantage or not.
In other words if Im on a lap and I see a green .250 on the first split, but I finish the lap
being .400 red, then I know that place has at least .250 in it I havent captured yet.

Its not relevant that I capture the green time at the end of the lap.. the point is knowing
its there, and that I found it. Thats ground zero. Going from #99 on the Leaderboard to #9
is about finding ONE green split, again and again.

A mental picture might be: for the first 30 minutes a new track is a healthy fat cow heavy with green
split time bulk. After 2 hours there is much less bulk and you can even start to see the ribs showing.
By the second day of learning a track the cow is deceased. What easy green-splits there are barely feed
the flies hovering around the carcass. For Top 10 Leaderboard types there are only sun baked bones
where a cow once stood, but they persist. By then even the flies have long ago lost interest.
Top 3 Leaderboard in Driveclub means knowing how to locate and identify trace deposits of calcium,
and how to scan them for elementary green particles.

Does that help you?

:)
The cow analogy is great. The split times are what I use to know if I can beat a record. Mind you I have a few tracks where my 3 best splits (each track is split into 3 fairly equal length segments) are still comfortably better than my best combined time, meaning, frustratingly, I am only around top 10 rather than the number one I would have if I combined my best split times!!! When you get a green there is also a little noise the game makes, and that for me says, "pressure don't cock up now boy"!!!

Back