• Did not vote/abstained - May's Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - No Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - Second Referendum

• Voted Remain - May's Deal

• Voted Remain - No Deal

• Voted Remain - Second Referendum

Results are only viewable after voting.
A few more could do with growing up and accept it. :rolleyes:
And yet you condemn Tusk for making digs at people......

...irony just died a little.

So I'm going to say no, if I don't agree with something I'm going to say so, and if its something with the degree of impact of Brexit I'm going to do so repeatedly and loudly (you know like Brexiteers have been doing since the '70s).

Last edited:
And yet you condemn Tusk for making digs at people......

That doesn't even make sense, unless your insinuating that me pointing out that his comment was childish was in itself childish... was it really?

That doesn't even make sense, unless your insinuating that me pointing out that his comment was childish was in itself childish... was it really?
"A few more...." is aimed at a wider group.

The inference in your post was rather clear, those who voted remain and still wish to discuss/revisit it should 'grow up and accept it'.

Last edited:
Brexit, probably a hard one, looks almost assured from here. But, on the other hand, it's not over until the fat lady sings.

Ok, since we went back to Tusk …. I guess it is time for accuracy. There has been a lot of false reporting and obviously intentional sensational headlines that amount to stirring people up. If people WANT to take offense nothing is going to persuade them otherwise but I think it is worth looking at what Donald Tusk actually said and the context in which it was said.

There are 50 days left until the UK's exit from the European Union, following the decision and the will of the UK authorities. I know that still a very great number of people in the UK, and on the continent, as well as in Ireland, wish for a reversal of this decision. I have always been with you, with all my heart. But the facts are unmistakable. At the moment, the pro-Brexit stance of the UK Prime Minister, and the Leader of the Opposition, rules out this question. Today, there is no political force and no effective leadership for remain. I say this without satisfaction, but you can't argue with the facts.

Today our most important task is to prevent a no deal scenario. I would, once again, like to stress that the position of the EU27 is clear, as expressed in the documents agreed with the UK government – that is the Withdrawal Agreement and the Political Declaration – and the EU27 is not making any new offer. Let me recall that the December European Council decided that the Withdrawal Agreement is not open for re-negotiation. I hope that tomorrow we will hear from Prime Minister May a realistic suggestion on how to end the impasse, in which the process of the orderly withdrawal of the UK from the EU has found itself, following the latest votes in the House of Commons.

The top priority for us, remains the issue of the border on the island of Ireland, and the guarantee to maintain the peace process in accordance with the Good Friday Agreement. There is no room for speculation here. The EU itself is first and foremost a peace project. We will not gamble with peace; or put a sell-by date on reconciliation. And this is why we insist on the backstop. Give us a believable guarantee for peace in Northern Ireland, and the UK will leave the EU as a trusted friend. I hope that the UK government will present ideas that will both respect this point of view and, at the same time, command a stable and clear majority in the House of Commons. I strongly believe that a common solution is possible, and I will do everything in my power to find it.

A sense of responsibility also tells us to prepare for a possible fiasco. The Taoiseach and I have spoken about the necessary actions in case of no deal; I know that you will also be discussing this shortly with the European Commission.

By the way, I've been wondering what that special place in hell looks like, for those who promoted Brexit, without even a sketch of a plan how to carry it out safely. Thank you.

By the way, I've been wondering what that special place in hell looks like, for those who promoted Brexit, without even a sketch of a plan how to carry it out safely. Thank you

That "by the way" has the effect of partially divorcing the remainder of his sentence from the context of the earlier paragraphs. Personally I don't have a problem with him saying that and it probably won't surprise you that I agree with him... I'm just pointing out that Tusk himself stood that statement on its own.

The UK Government's laughable/infamous deal to provide extra ferries in the event of a No Deal Brexit (you know, that deal with a company that has no ferries) has collapsed.

In other news, it turns out that bears 🤬 in the woods.

The UK Government's laughable/infamous deal to provide extra ferries in the event of a No Deal Brexit (you know, that deal with a company that has no ferries) has collapsed.

In other news, it turns out that bears 🤬 in the woods.

I don't see what could have gone wrong, even if they had no boats, no berths, no planning application to build the berths, and no apparent experience as a shipping company. On that basis my biggest regret is not applying for all that money myself.

They also copy and pasted their T&Cs privacy agreement from a pizza delivery company.

As hilarious as that is, it really does highlight how inadequate the government selection process is or, more cynically, how readily they'll just hand these contracts over to their mates.

Since the government is democratically elected, I can't see how any decision they could make, could be wrong!?!?
Democracy has its drawbacks. A defective society can elect a defective government.

I think you may have been depradated.

Last edited:
I don't mind the current system for the most part, I just don't like the fact that the public has little to no say in who the Prime Minister is.

Democracy has its drawbacks. A defective society can elect a defective government.

I think you may have been depradated.
Humans are not perfect. Defective society is inevitable and gets worse as more time passes without corrective measures. Getting the same party forming Government after Government is the worse thing democracy can do. That's why disinterest in the voting process is so dangerous.

Humans are not perfect. Defective society is inevitable and gets worse as more time passes without corrective measures. Getting the same party forming Government after Government is the worse thing democracy can do. That's why disinterest in the voting process is so dangerous.
Yes, that's bad enough, but in this case a drifting and confused society & government may have been preyed upon by outside organization and money. I'm referring to reports the leave campaign was systematically supported by Americans.

Last edited:
disinterest in the voting process is so dangerous.

Disinterest in politics is a good thing; disinterest is impartiality. Uninteresting is boredom or apathy.

I agree with your point though.

Someone has to do it. Sorry

Saw this somewhere else and had to share.

The deal we should be aiming for: Germany ++

Including:

- Seat in all major EU Institutions, vote and even veto power in most of importante decisions.
- Participation in all major EU agencies, we could even have some based here in the UK
- Free movement for everyone from the UK within European borders
- Free trade within the EU
- Access to the same conditions set in all trade deals the EU celebrates (and we can even have a say in their negotiation)

But we want more. Specifically, this:

- We keep control of our borders, staying out of the Schengen agreement on free movement
- We send people from other countries home if they can’t support themselves
- We stay out of the Euro permanently
- We block Turkey (or anyone else) from joining the EU
- We stop the creation of a European army
- We vote on how our government spends our Money.
- We pay contribution fees for all this as any full member of the EU does, but 1/3 of it gets returned
- We even get money from the EU to spend in the UK

I guess this would be an excellent deal. But somehow I don't see how the UK could possibly get it!

;)

_105644256_mediaitem105644254.jpg

I am so SCARED!

Wow...

European Commission president Donald Tusk just said (at a joint EU-Irish press conference):

That closing comment is likely to infuriate a good many people, and is really pretty shocking coming from the president of the European Commission.

Meanwhile, Tusk and Irish leader Vardakar have categorically ruled out any possible changes to the Backstop, and EU leaders have repeated their call for the UK to abandon the idea of leaving the Single Market (and basically giving up on Brexit in all but name).
I just want to revisit this.

I'm not sure how I missed it at the time, but it seems that the European Parliament's Brexit steering committee (six MEPs and Guy Verhofstadt) has told Ireland (not the UK) that it must set up a hard customs border in the event of a no deal Brexit, or face being ejected from the customs union itself - effectively stating that the integrity of customs union overrides the Good Friday Agreement.

Elmar Brok, of the steering committee said:
“We would have to set up a customs border with Ireland. The defence of the internal market is the basis of our economic success in Germany. If we destroy the Single Market, the EU is finished.”

Philippe Lamberts, also of the steering committee said:
"The British would have a 500km backdoor into the single market. If Ireland refuses to protect the border with Northern Ireland after a hard Brexit, we would have to relocate the customs border to the Continent."

Original German article here:
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausla...ohen-irland-mit-zollkontrollen-a-1251148.html

Reported in the UK by the Express and Telegraph.

Ireland doesn't want a hard border. "Great Britain" doesn't want a hard border. Northern Ireland doesn't want a hard border. No part of the British Isles wants a hard border. The European Parliament says Ireland has an obligation to set up a hard border or it gets kicked out.

So either the EU forces Ireland* to break the Good Friday Agreement, or the EU ejects a member state.

That's a rather interesting change of tack from the EU which seems to have always insisted the UK would be responsible for such a hard border - and quite a distance from Tusk's comments later the same day:

The top priority for us, remains the issue of the border on the island of Ireland, and the guarantee to maintain the peace process in accordance with the Good Friday Agreement. There is no room for speculation here. The EU itself is first and foremost a peace project. We will not gamble with peace; or put a sell-by date on reconciliation.
Right now it seems to be **** Good Friday, because our customs union.

I suspect more movement on this issue is to come.

*Like it forced Ireland into a crippling bank bailout package in 2010

I noticed this the other day too... and no doubt it will cause ructions.

Of course, it would set a disastrous precedent for the EU to effectively expel a member state who haven't actually done anything... it is also hugely ironic that the EU are demanding that the UK stay in the Single Market and Customs Union despite a public and parliamentary votes to the contrary, but are now threatening Ireland with the exact opposite!

I noticed this the other day too... and no doubt it will cause ructions.

Of course, it would set a disastrous precedent for the EU to effectively expel a member state who haven't actually done anything... it is also hugely ironic that the EU are demanding that the UK stay in the Single Market and Customs Union despite a public and parliamentary votes to the contrary, but are now threatening Ireland with the exact opposite!
So basically not all nation's are equal is what they are saying?

I am thrilled to find out that there is a very real chance that I will have to take a driving test in Slovakia in order to maintain having a valid driving licence.

I cannot exchange my UK licence until June (reasons), after Brexit, at which point the licence will not be a valid EU licence and therefore not eligible for exchange. My only out is that a Brexit deal includes recognition of previously valid licences (unlikely) or I get an extremely helpful clerk (absolutely super zero possibility) at the KCOU who will do it anyway.

How do I know there is a super zero possibility of getting a nice clerk who will sympathise with my plight? When I went there to find this out, she looked at the licence and thought I was from Ukraine because "UK" was on the European flag on the photocard... :indiff:

My genuine sympathies. Your Piccolo facepalm avatar is looking more and more super-apt with each successive post on this subject.

Fortunately I don't currently own a car but that's not the point. The principle is outrageous; I have successfully proven that I am qualified to operate an automobile with a licence that satisfies the criteria of 28 countries and now that right is (almost certainly) being taken away from me.

I shouldn't have to retake my test or apply for an IDP.

Back