• Voted Leave - Second Referendum

• Did not vote/abstained - May's Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - No Deal

• Did not vote/abstained - Second Referendum

• Voted Remain - May's Deal

• Voted Remain - No Deal

• Voted Remain - Second Referendum

Results are only viewable after voting.
We've been pummled with anti-EU headlines for decades (often lies), if you think you're not going years of headlines about how leaving is a bad idea, I think you'll probably be mistaken.

edit:

The following list is shamless taken from here: https://community.giffgaff.com/d/22645246-20-years-of-fake-anti-eu-headlines

It's almost funny... except people fell for it.

EC regulations to ban playgrounds – Daily Express

Rolling acres outlawed by Brussels – The Telegraph

EU to scrap British exams – Sunday Express

Obscure EU law halting the sale of English oak seeds – Mail on Sunday

EU may try to ban sweet and toy ads – The Times

EU to tell British farmers what they can grow – Daily Mail

EU ‘Bans Boozing’ – Daily Star

Light ale to be forced to change its name by Eurocrats – Daily Mail

EU fanatics to be forced to sing dire anthem about EU ‘Motherland’ – The Sun

British apple trees facing chop by EU – The Times

EC plan to ban noisy toys – Sunday People

EU to ban bagpipes and trapeze artists – The Sun

Children to be banned from blowing up balloons, under EU safety rules – Daily Telegraph

Straight cucumbers – The Sun

Curved bananas banned by Brussels bureaucrats – The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express

Brussels bans barmaids from showing cleavage – The Sun, Daily Telegraph

Rumpole’s wig to scrapped by EU – Mail on Sunday

Church bells silenced by fear of EU law – Daily Telegraph

Motorists to be charged to drive in city centres under EU plans – Daily Telegraph

EU to stop binge drinking by slapping extra tax on our booze – The Sun

Brandy butter to be renamed ‘brandy spreadable fat’ – The European

British loaf of bread under threat from EU – Daily Mail

Truckers face EU ban on fry-ups – The Sun

EU to ban Union Flag from British meat packs – Daily Express

EU seeks to outlaw 60 dog breeds – Europa News Agency

Double-decker buses to be banned – Daily Telegraph

EU bans eating competition cakes – Timesonline

Now EU officials want control of your CANDLES – Daily Express

21-gun salutes are just too loud, Brussels tells the Royal Artillery – Mail on Sunday

Brussels threatens charity shops and car boot sales – Daily Mail

Plot to axe British number plates for standardised EU design – Daily Express

Women to be asked intimate details about sex lives in planned EU census – Daily Express

British cheese faces extinction under EU rules – PA News

EU meddlers ban kids on milk rounds – The Sun, The Telegraph

British chocolate to be renamed ‘vegelate’ under EU rules – Daily Mail

EU to ban church bells – Daily Telegraph

British film producers warn of new EU threat to industry– The Independent

Kilts to be branded womenswear by EU – Daily Record

EU to ban double decker buses – Daily Mail

Cod to be renamed ‘Gadus’ thanks to EU – Daily Mail

Brussels to restrict drinking habits of Britain’s coffee lovers – Daily Express

EU responsible for your hay fever – Daily Mail, The Times

Condom dimensions to be harmonised – Independent on Sunday

EU wants to BAN your photos of the London Eye – Daily Express

Corgis to be banned by EU – Daily Mail

EU forcing cows to wear nappies – Daily Mail

Eurocrats to ban crayons and colouring pencils – The Sun

Smoky bacon crisps face EU ban – Sunday Times

EU outlaws teeth whitening products – Daily Mail

Domain names – ‘.uk’ to be replaced by ‘.eu’ – Daily Mail

Brussels to ban HGV drivers from wearing glasses – The Times

New eggs cannot be called eggs – Daily Mail

EU to ban selling eggs by the dozen – Daily Mail

UK to be forced to adopt continental two pin plug – Daily Star, Daily Mail

EU targets traditional Sunday roast – Sun on Sunday

English Channel to be re-named ‘Anglo-French Pond’ – Daily Mail

Brussels to force EU flag on England shirts – Daily Mail

EU orders farmers to give toys to pigs – The Times

Firemen’s poles outlawed by EU – Daily Mail

Euro ban on food waste means swans cannot be fed – The Observer

Noise regulations to force football goers to wear earplugs – The Sun

Traditional Irish funeral under threat from EU – Daily Telegraph, The Times

EU to ban high-heel shoes for hairdressers – Daily Express

Commission to force fishermen to wear hairnets – Daily Telegraph

Brussels to ban herbal cures – Daily Express

Bureaucrats declare Britain is “not an island”– the Guardian

EU bid to ban life sentences for murderers – Daily Express

New EU map makes Kent part of France – Sunday Telegraph

EU tells Welsh how to grow their leeks – The Times

EU to ban lollipop ladies’ sticks – News of the World

EU plot to rename Trafalgar Square & Waterloo station – Daily Express

UK milk ‘pinta’ threatened by Brussels – The Sun

EU bans ‘mince’ pies – Daily Mail

Eurocrats say Santa must be a woman – The Sun

Now EU crackpots demand gypsy MPs – Daily Express

Brussels to outlaw mushy peas – The Sun, Daily Mail, Telegraph, Times

Brussels says shellfish must be given rest breaks on journeys – The Times

Pets must be pressure cooked after death – Sunday Telegraph

EU puts speed limit on children’s roundabouts – Daily Express

2-for-1 bargains to be scrapped by EU – Daily Mirror

EU madness: chat up bar girl and pub will be fined – Daily Star

Queen to be forced to get her own tea by EU – The Sun

EU tells women to hand in worn-out sex toys – The Sun

British rhubarb to be straight – The Sun

EU to ban rocking horses – The Sun

Scotch whisky rebranded a dangerous chemical by EU – Daily Telegraph

Brussels ban on pints of shandy – The Times

“High up” signs to be put on mountains – BBC

Euronotes cause impotence – Daily Mail

EU to ban under 16-year-olds from using Facebook – Daily Mail

Strawberries must be oval – The Sun

EU orders swings to be pulled down – Daily Express

Tea bags banned from being recycled – BBC

British lav to be replaced with Euro-loo – The Sun

Unwanted Valentine’s cards to be defined as sexual harrasment – Daily Telegraph

Bosses to be told what colour carpets to buy by EU – Daily Star

EU says British yoghurt to be renamed ‘Fermented Milk Pudding’ – Sunday Mirror

EU to ban zipper trousers – The Sun

After reading the summaries of a few of these, it does indeed appear that they are "fake" or distorted views of reality. But also in the sampling that I picked, none of them were outright false either, they were always a misleading representation of a truth (though I'd bet at least one of these has absolutely zero substance to it). Given how misleading it is, I like the characterization of it as "fake" instead of "true but misleading" or simply "technically accurate" (at least in some cases).

But, it's important for everyone to remember that this sort of thing is very susceptible to selective rigor. If you bring an agenda to the discussion, you might call these "fake", and then when you see a similar article distorting the dangers of Brexit you might call those "true" or "technically true" or "true but misleading" instead of "fake".

I give myself license to call things like this "lies" instead of beating around the bush, but then I worry that I'm giving myself a hypocritical escape hatch for my own preferences too.

If any of you on the east coast of Britain are available on the 31st, I've tricked the missus into joining me to drive to Zandvoort to wave you guys goodbye, so maybe we can wave at each other.

:lol:

If any of you on the east coast of Britain are available on the 31st, I've tricked the missus into joining me to drive to Zandvoort to wave you guys goodbye, so maybe we can wave at each other.

:lol:
I am, but my line of sight from the beach at the end of the street is Hardbakke in Norway.

I give myself license to call things like this "lies" instead of beating around the bush, but then I worry that I'm giving myself a hypocritical escape hatch for my own preferences too.

I believe the intention is to deceive, so I'm happy with calling them lies. Lies with a germ of truth perhaps, but still.

It's not really.

The point is that the UK is now about to formally enter the 'transition period' (as per the Withdrawal Agreement) but this does leave the UK in the historically unique position of being subject to the full gamut of EU law while having no representation within the EU.

This is exactly why Johnson is intent on ending the transition period as quickly as possible, because it is an unusual and potentially precarious position for the UK to be in - it also is one reason why hard Brexiteers would have been happy with no transition period at all.

Of course, back on planet reality, no transition period would likely have come at a catastrophically high price, hence why even Johnson recognised the need for it, but that doesn't mean that it is entirely beneficial or indeed welcomed, particularly by the Eurosceptics who suspect that the EU may now take advantage of the situation.

Interestingly, this is exactly the situation that opponents of a 'Soft Brexit' (myself included) are warning about - a situation where the UK still obeys all EU law but has no control over what those laws are is potentially very damaging to the UK, hence why it is wise to avoid this outcome and, as is the case with the transition period, keep it to an absolute minimum.

I know there's the future relationship between the EU and UK and that will be difficult and awkward but in principle that's not entirely dissimilar to EU relations with any other country such as, for example, EU-Ukraine relations, EU-Russia relations or EU-Albania relations.

It's the ignorant temerity (or intentional dog whistle) of the Brexit MEP talking about the UK having no representation within the EU, on EU internal commissions and committees.

I know there's the future relationship between the EU and UK and that will be difficult and awkward but in principle that's not entirely dissimilar to EU relations with any other country such as, for example, EU-Ukraine relations, EU-Russia relations or EU-Albania relations.

I'm not sure. Politically it's in the interest of the EU and it's member states to see the UK suffer economically. As this only boosts the Blocs political and economic power while sending a clear message to any other member states thinking about leaving.

I'm not sure. Politically it's in the interest of the EU and it's member states to see the UK suffer economically. As this only boosts the Blocs political and economic power while sending a clear message to any other member states thinking about leaving.

in principle that's not entirely dissimilar

I know there are differences but it's still EU relations with an outside nation, rather than representation within EU meetings which was insinuated by the Brexit MEP.

It’s not the future/permanent EU-UK relationship they’re moaning about (although they will also moan about that separately), but the transition period specifically.

Unlike the EU’s relationships with all other non-member states, the UK will be in the uncomfortable position of still being subject to EU law while no longer being represented at any level within all EU political institutions... that’s a BIG difference. As @Scaff points out, though, it is a bit rich for Brexit MEPs to complain too loudly for a variety of reasons, but the fact is that the UK will be in a uniquely awkward position for as long as the transition period lasts, which is why the UK Government (and Brexit supporters in general) are uncomfortable with the whole concept of the transition period.

One doesn’t need to look far to see how this story has been misinterpreted/mischaracterised as ‘Brexit MEP complains about leaving the EU!!1!’ when in fact it is a (much) more legitimate point about the forthcoming period* of being subject to laws without any say in how they are made. It’s actually quite alarming to read many of the comments underneath some of these articles, criticising the Brexit MEP for her apparent stupidity, when it is quite clear that some of the commenters don’t really understand what she is saying.

*Note: The length of the transition period is still not set in stone legally. As it stands, it lasts for 11 months (1 Feb to 31 Dec 2020), but the Withdrawal Agreement allows for the possibility of extension of up to 2 more years (but this needs to be agreed by July 2020). That leaves open the possibility of the UK being subject to EU law (present and future) for a month shy of three years, with no guarantee of a trade deal at any point.

Last edited:
I know there are differences but it's still EU relations with an outside nation, rather than representation within EU meetings which was insinuated by the Brexit MEP.
True, but I feel like it needs saying every time haha because on the lead up to Brexit and after the vote it was claimed they'd NEED to give us good deals and countries would be falling over themselves to deal with us... when the reality isn't that simple.

.. the forthcoming period of being subject to laws without any say in how they are made.

Shouldn't be a problem for leave voters.... this isn't really any different to the situation before the vote as far as they are concerned.

upload_2020-1-23_13-6-31.png

the forthcoming period* of being subject to laws without any say in how they are made

Shouldn't be a problem for leave voters.... this isn't really any different to the situation before the vote as far as they are concerned.

The real irony is that we did vote for our representatives before Leave. Now the final legislature is the House of Lords, a place we don't vote for whose members we can't remove.

View attachment 885627

Lidl also no longer giving a **** anymore. :lol:

I'm surprised that Brexit is still news outside of the UK?

To us in the UK it still has a degree of impact on daily life as it's uncertainty has influence on most aspects of it. But to Europe and the wider world, outside of the inner workings of European politics and perhaps anyone directly connected with trade with the UK, i would have thought Brexit would be largely forgotten by now.

To us in the UK it still has a degree of impact on daily life as it's uncertainty has influence on most aspects of it. But to Europe and the wider world, outside of the inner workings of European politics and perhaps anyone directly connected with trade with the UK, i would have thought Brexit would be largely forgotten by now.

Seeing how the UK is quite a large economic partner to a lot of us Continentals, it is still in the (financial) news on a pretty much daily basis.

Indeed. Raw onion rings in a fry up?

Gammon, egg and chips would have been far funnier.

i would have thought Brexit would be largely forgotten by now.

I'm sure most nations have an anti-EU contingent that is keen to see how well the UK do, free of the shackles imposed by unelected european bureaucrats and their silly rules and regulations. I'd bet that any positive economic indicators the UK sees after this week will be touted by such people as a reason why their nations should join us in 'taking back control'.

Gammon, egg and chips would have been far funnier.

I'm sure most nations have an anti-EU contingent that is keen to see how well the UK do, free of the shackles imposed by unelected european bureaucrats and their silly rules and regulations. I'd bet that any positive economic indicators the UK sees after this week will be touted by such people as a reason why their nations should join us in 'taking back control'.
Which is why the EU will leave us to wither on the vine for as long as possible before signing a trade deal.

A Wall Street analyst I just watched on CNBC said that Brexit ranks with the situations in Iran, China and Kashmir in having the potential of becoming a (Black Swan) event that causes serious disruption should it go wrong.

Indeed. Raw onion rings in a fry up?
And not enough (or indeed any!) distance between the beans and the eggs... they could/should have used a couple of sausages as a breakwater.

-

@Dennisch In all seriousness, Friday is going to be a tough day for a lot of my closest friends and colleagues, many of whom work in the UK by virtue of our previous membership of the EU. These amazing people have been treated appallingly and are not comforted at all by the ‘reassurances’ they’ve heard from the UK Government... it is, sadly, no laughing matter - yet even they still joke about it because otherwise it would be too depressing for words.

Friday night is going to be very interesting, not least because at 11 pm the UK formally quits the EU... and, by virtue of celebrating no less than 6 birthdays (?!) and 3 new job offers on the same night, the chances of us all being in the pub at 11 pm are 99.9999% (Coronavirus outbreak notwithstanding). I expect the moment will be marked with genuine sadness and a tonne of alcohol - and probably a great deal of anger and irritation too... not a great combo for 11 pm in Glasgow... on a Friday night.

Luckily, all of my friends and pretty much everyone I know in Glasgow is opposed to Brexit, and I think the atmosphere in the pubs on Friday night will be something worth seeing - and yet, paradoxically, it is also something the vast majority in Glasgow don’t want to see (note that EU citizens did not get to vote in the referendum...) With the likely exception of some of Partick’s less salubrious bars (and it has a few), I would imagine that this sentiment will be shared across the city, and indeed across the whole country.

Meanwhile, here, deep in Toryshire, pretty much everyone in my local will be cheering the success of Supreme Leader Johnson over our European enemies, singing the praises of democracy, and hoping it never actually becomes democratic enough to unseat the blues. I'll probably give it a miss... or alternatively, I could just go along, and play the 1-shot-everytime-someone-says-"I'm not racist but..."-drinking-game... it wouldn't be the first time I'd cleaned 'em out of rum and brandy.

It's been shunted from the front pages over here, much to the chagrin of our PM who's seeking re-election next Saturday. For starters, it took attention away from the spiralling cost of living here.

Back