Bring Auto Modellista on Nintendo Switch

• Thread starter IchbinTim
  • 8 comments

Auto Modellista on Nintendo Switch

• Nah it’s ok I’m happy with the shockingly bad driving games on the Nintendo Switch...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Germany
Germany
After watching a YouTube Video titled “5 Underrated Racing Games Worth Revisiting”, Auto Modellista came out as number 1.

This prompted me to tweet Capcom to ask them to bring this game back for the Nintendo Switch, as the Switch is lacking decent driving games.

Who else thinks now’s the time to dust off this game and pester Capcom to remake it or release a remastered port of the GameCube version?

If you do then let’s start a campaign on hear or Twitter...

What they said. But a new Auto Modellista game might not be a bad idea, especially one that is as JDM-oriented as the original, because there's kind of a gap in the market for that kind of driving/racing game these days. Not that I expect Capcom would do it.

And your second poll option reads like you haven't actually looked at what's on the system beyond the budget title dregs of the eShop. Not much to choose from, but a few that are anything but "shockingly bad".

They won't even bother because of Licencing.
Why would licensing get in the way in re-releasing a classic game where all the content has already been licensed? They should simply be able to re-release it without any problems if they wanted to, right?

Re-releasing Automodellista as is, on the Switch, it better be the "US-tuned" version with all the extra cars, tracks and features. Hopefully I could get used to the game's physics as well.

Or this makes me hope that Nintendo would make their own original racing simulation game one day...

Last edited:
Why would licensing get in the way in re-releasing a classic game where all the content has already been licensed? They should simply be able to re-release it without any problems if they wanted to, right?

Re-releasing Automodellista as is, on the Switch, it better be the "US-tuned" version with all the extra cars, tracks and features. Hopefully I could get used to the game's physics as well.

Or this makes me hope that Nintendo would make their own original racing simulation game one day...

License doesn't last forever, which is why GT and a bunch of others never came to the PS Classic.

It sucks.

Grid Autosport is coming to the Switch, yet the system has no pressure sensitive buttons anywhere. I just think the Switch isn’t a good candidate for racing games in general.

Unless they want us to use the other joystick as a dual purpose accelerate/brake input, which will be incredibly awkward to get used to.

I supppse if you’re on the go it’s not a bad option, but I can’t ever imagine wanting to play at home regularity with controls like that.

Grid Autosport is coming to the Switch, yet the system has no pressure sensitive buttons anywhere. I just think the Switch isn’t a good candidate for racing games in general.

Unless they want us to use the other joystick as a dual purpose accelerate/brake input, which will be incredibly awkward to get used to.

I supppse if you’re on the go it’s not a bad option, but I can’t ever imagine wanting to play at home regularity with controls like that.

Nintendo has never been good with racing games.

Some of us grew up playing PSX/PS2 racing games that way. ;) When Project CARS was promised for Wii U, I intended to play it that way. Now I am playing Ride 3 that way, because of split braking and the way controls are laid out on a bike.

The majority of racing games hardly need that level of control anyway, and dampening can be employed to smooth the input instead of it being abruptly binary. Even Live for Speed isn't too realistic to be controlled that way. Check the green and red bars in the lower right-hand corner if you're unsure what I mean by dampening the buttons:

For what it's worth, Nintendo has a reason not to use analog triggers. The Gamecube controller got targeted by a patent shark company who sued Nintendo over the analog triggers. If I've got the story right, Sony and Microsoft were also implicated but settled with the company, but Nintendo fought back and won. Since then, I suppose Nintendo doesn't want to bother with it again. It's not an isolated incident, either, as the Wiimote and Joy-Cons have also been challenged in court by no-name companies.

So you can thank patent sharks for the Switch's digital triggers.

Nintendo has never been good with racing games.
Only since the Wii, after a decline on the Gamecube and the notable absence of real-world-oriented games like NFS or Gran Turismo on N64. I grew up with Super Off-Road, Al Unser Jr.'s Turbo Racing, Micro Machines, F-ZERO (X, GX), Top Gear, Stunt Race FX, Lamborghini American Challenge, Test Drive II: The Duel, SF Rush and Rush 2, Wave Race 64, the Cruis'n series, Extreme-G, Re-Volt, Hydro Thunder, and more.

Back