Bring back championships

United Kingdom
Aberdeen
I really hope they bring back the championship races where you had five races I always won four out of five and hoped that the second place guy would not have enough points and when he did I still won the championship I think it was due to me winning more races than him

I don't understand why features like this get dropped. But, they added online time trials with the last update, so I can hope multi-race championships will return.

Wasn’t there not even an offline race mode at all when the game launched? Games are moving towards online multiplayer and away from offline single player. I thought most games don’t come with offline campaigns anymore? Racing against real people is where the fun’s at, AI competitors is boring and not nearly challenging enough.

Wasn’t there not even an offline race mode at all when the game launched? Games are moving towards online multiplayer and away from offline single player. I thought most games don’t come with offline campaigns anymore? Racing against real people is where the fun’s at, AI competitors is boring and not nearly challenging enough.

I think it definitely depends on the game (and especially genre), and I'd say a genre like racing games benefit more from having an online multiplayer bias, as would many FPSes. But even then, it depends on the vision for the game, and what it's trying to accomplish.

AI is almost as fun as online races in F1 games. Assuming that 90% of these races aren't wreckfests. Don't know what you're talking about.

AI is almost as fun as online races in F1 games. Assuming that 90% of these races aren't wreckfests. Don't know what you're talking about.

Who mentioned F1 games? We’re on a GT forum talking about GT. Sorry man, but AI doesn’t even come close to racing real people.

Who mentioned F1 games? We’re on a GT forum talking about GT. Sorry man, but AI doesn’t even come close to racing real people.
I know. I was just making an example that AI can actually be fun. We won't get fast but balanced AI anyways, I still remember the GT5/GT6 threads where people always screeched about the AI behaving like trains.

I know. I was just making an example that AI can actually be fun. We won't get fast but balanced AI anyways, I still remember the GT5/GT6 threads where people always screeched about the AI behaving like trains.

AI will always be AI though, always racing as close to their predetermined path as possible, even if they can avoid some obstacles along the way. They’ll probably never be able to actively think for themselves, or sometimes react poorly based on the emotions of a heated race instead of staying cool and calm and sticking to their plan, you can’t pressure them into mistakes or visa versa, you also can’t talk to the AI after the race, obvtheres even more but I’m sure you get the point. There’s just something truly enjoyable about having 15-20 individuals racing together that AI will never be able to match. :)

AI will always be AI though, always racing as close to their predetermined path as possible, even if they can avoid some obstacles along the way. They’ll probably never be able to actively think for themselves, or sometimes react poorly based on the emotions of a heated race instead of staying cool and calm and sticking to their plan, you can’t pressure them into mistakes or visa versa, you also can’t talk to the AI after the race, obvtheres even more but I’m sure you get the point. There’s just something truly enjoyable about having 15-20 individuals racing together that AI will never be able to match. :)
Fully agree, when it happens. However, the reality is, getting 15-20 like minded people together, who have the same schedule, stable internet connections, relatively similar skill, for something more than a 5 lap sprint race, is not as easy to do in practice as it is to say.

On top of that, in full human leagues, there is very little room for roll playing, or other ways of being creative aside from just trying to win/be as fast as you can.

Custom races and championships would open up a whole world of possibility for creative types who want to stage certain types of photos, or video clips.

I’ve been really getting into watching videos from DCS World on YouTube (Digital Combat Sim). From everything I’ve seen, a game like that does the best job of fusing different types of gameplay together. It has single player vs AI, co-op vs AI, PvP, PvP with AI mixed in, and more. And if Eagle Dynamics can get AI to fly an Su-27 Flanker in an aggressive, challenging, and semi-realistic manner, I don’t buy that PD can’t step their game up in terms of the quality of their AI. Oh, and DCS World is a free game (the base game at least) lol.

Fully agree, when it happens. However, the reality is, getting 15-20 like minded people together, who have the same schedule, stable internet connections, relatively similar skill, for something more than a 5 lap sprint race, is not as easy to do in practice as it is to say.

On top of that, in full human leagues, there is very little room for roll playing, or other ways of being creative aside from just trying to win/be as fast as you can.

Custom races and championships would open up a whole world of possibility for creative types who want to stage certain types of photos, or video clips.

I’ve been really getting into watching videos from DCS World on YouTube (Digital Combat Sim). From everything I’ve seen, a game like that does the best job of fusing different types of gameplay together. It has single player vs AI, co-op vs AI, PvP, PvP with AI mixed in, and more. And if Eagle Dynamics can get AI to fly an Su-27 Flanker in an aggressive, challenging, and semi-realistic manner, I don’t buy that PD can’t step their game up in terms of the quality of their AI. Oh, and DCS World is a free game (the base game at least) lol.
Agreed. I like my offline races those reasons too. Look at the RTC daily race. The field gets so spread out, it's worse than the Custom Races I race in. At least I have a battle working up from last place. I have multiple Custom RTC races where I've not been in the top 10(BoP On for my car, not the AI). Impossible to win at the high speed tracks.

The GT6 GT3 Championship race was my favorite, as well as the GT500 & GT300 races in Gran Turismo 1. It's cool to race in lobbies with other players. The different liveries, for one. However, there are still some players that act like the AI and divebomb, don;t have patience, etc. So, it's pretty much 50:50.

Codemasters seem to have given a number of AI differing personalities. Can't wait to see how that works in GRID. PDI are hiring AI programmers too. Should be good things to come.

I really hope they bring back the championship races where you had five races I always won four out of five and hoped that the second place guy would not have enough points and when he did I still won the championship I think it was due to me winning more races than him
It will be in the next GT game for sure.

Go read my 2nd post on page 6 , then tell me the AI are not challenging enough,:lol: it also works at any GT leaque event.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ostalgic-1979-professional-race.381291/unread

Agreed. I like my offline races those reasons too. Look at the RTC daily race. The field gets so spread out, it's worse than the Custom Races I race in. At least I have a battle working up from last place. I have multiple Custom RTC races where I've not been in the top 10(BoP On for my car, not the AI). Impossible to win at the high speed tracks.

The GT6 GT3 Championship race was my favorite, as well as the GT500 & GT300 races in Gran Turismo 1. It's cool to race in lobbies with other players. The different liveries, for one. However, there are still some players that act like the AI and divebomb, don;t have patience, etc. So, it's pretty much 50:50.

Codemasters seem to have given a number of AI differing personalities. Can't wait to see how that works in GRID. PDI are hiring AI programmers too. Should be good things to come.
If they were to add user created custom championships and events, I really hope they add a feature that allows players to share their events with other players online.

No prize cars, no qualifying, no grid starts... Truly don’t see the point in taking the same formulaic races and just chaining together 5 of them.

No prize cars, no qualifying, no grid starts... Truly don’t see the point in taking the same formulaic races and just chaining together 5 of them.
Other than making real money, it would be like real motorsports. They race for points. That's how the past Gt Championships work. As Twitcher mentioned, a player could calculate(very simply- it's not rocket science) winning the whole thing if you got enough points in three races. Not necessarily winning all three out of five, but sometimes AI slip up. MAking the last two races about finishing at the bottom of the points scale. Most times, I've had to finish high for all five races, to take the "cup".

In real life, racers DNF or finish out of the points. If a player can finish above the "rival" or lead AI, it makes the championship worth entering.

Other than making real money, it would be like real motorsports. They race for points. That's how the past Gt Championships work. As Twitcher mentioned, a player could calculate(very simply- it's not rocket science) winning the whole thing if you got enough points in three races. Not necessarily winning all three out of five, but sometimes AI slip up. MAking the last two races about finishing at the bottom of the points scale. Most times, I've had to finish high for all five races, to take the "cup".

In real life, racers DNF or finish out of the points. If a player can finish above the "rival" or lead AI, it makes the championship worth entering.
I found the trick to winning the championship early was to keep an eye on who was second in the championship and then get in the lead of the race and slow the second place championship guy down on purpose so then he ended up with less points call it cheating gamesmanship but it one way to win

I found the trick to winning the championship early was to keep an eye on who was second in the championship and then get in the lead of the race and slow the second place championship guy down on purpose so then he ended up with less points call it cheating gamesmanship but it one way to win
Try to use some punctuation in your future posts. Thanks.

• You will not use “textspeak” (“r”, “u”, “plz”, etc.) in your messages. Decent grammar is expected at all times, including proper usage of capital letters.

Why does GTPlanet have unusual rules?

GTPlanet’s Acceptable Use Policy applies across all areas of the website and is somewhat unusual on the Internet due to its request for “decent grammar” and the prohibition of “txtspk”.

Such rules are often met with confusion and contempt by some new users. However, GTPlanet is not just another disposable “video game forum” – it is a community and a home for thousands of like-minded people which has thrived for more than a decade. These rules have always been in place, and remind everyone to put a little more thought into what they’re contributing to the community. In turn, this creates a more pleasant and attractive place for everyone.

So really, the only entertainment value to be gained from this is the risk of losing the championship and having to start over. Which seems like it will just make players modify their cars even more, making the races even more dull.

I stand by my original comment, without a soft overhaul of the GT League structures, I just don’t see the point in this.

So really, the only entertainment value to be gained from this is the risk of losing the championship and having to start over. Which seems like it will just make players modify their cars even more, making the races even more dull.

I stand by my original comment, without a soft overhaul of the GT League structures, I just don’t see the point in this.
By all means, stand by it. Modifying a car to win is a non-issue. The issue here is, there are no options to string races and no Championships like from past GTs. There are players, including myself, that would like those type events.

Never mind that.. is no one going to mention that the GT league dosen't count towards the completion rate of the campaign?.

If PD had any sense they would have implemented the championship system again or at the very least realised they could "motivate"
us to play the events by giving a prize at the end of the championship like the old days, I've only done each race in campaign once because I see no reason to play it multiple times but if it were championship with a prize car roulette at the end...

And @GeorgeJakob yeah it's stupid that GT League doesn't count in overall completion rate...

Never mind that.. is no one going to mention that the GT league dosen't count towards the completion rate of the campaign?.

That’s because it wasn’t part of the original release, it was added after the fact as far as I know. GTS was originally intended to be online only. :)

I just want prize cars back for GT League, a free spin for completing a series would be enough for me to finish it off finally, that was always my Favorite part of past games, seeing what car I had one for clearing a series/events races. :)

That’s because it wasn’t part of the original release, it was added after the fact as far as I know. GTS was originally intended to be online only. :)

I just want prize cars back for GT League, a free spin for completing a series would be enough for me to finish it off finally, that was always my Favorite part of past games, seeing what car I had one for clearing a series/events races. :)
That as well although it would be pointless.

That as well although it would be pointless.

GT League is already pretty much pointless as it currently is, at least we’d get more free cars out of it and there would be at least a small sliver of incentive to complete it. :)

GT League is already pretty much pointless as it currently is, at least we’d get more free cars out of it and there would be at least a small sliver of incentive to complete it. :)
Only if they gave us one 20M car tho because the rest are pretty affordable but i much rather see it as part of the campign proper.

And why does that matter?.

Because then they can get away with leaving out a ton of features that normally would be included in a numbered title. GTS is light on a bunch of content and features because of this very reason.

GT League was a rushed in add on and was not part of the original GTS release. This is because PD quickly realized just how many people didn't support online only racing.

Back