• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 4 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
This thread is devoted to British motorsports and the contributions thereof. I'd want to make this topic as a topic about notable marks in British racing history, to bigtime British names, British car makes... anything Britain has to contribute to international racing, let's talk about it.

A British topic I'd like to discuss is in my favorite motorsports subject, sportscar racing. You all know I love the 24 Hours of Le Mans, right? Well, imagine winning the big race five times within the first ten years of the race (1923-1933). What team are you if you win this race five times within the first ten years? You are Bentley. I have mad respect for Bentley when it comes to Le Mans. I mean, winning the race once is good. Winning several times over is impressive. And to go for an encore, they decided to re-enter Le Mans within 2000 and 2003. Of course, the beautiful green Bentleys won the race in 2003 and will never return. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to enter Le Mans in either 2023 or 2024, those are the 100th anniversary of the Le Mans classic and Bentley's 100th anniversary of their first win at Le Mans. In 1990, the white and purple (or violet) Silk Cut Jaguar of Brundle/Cobb/Nielsen (it was supposed to be Salazzar/Cobb/Nielsen that year) winning the race 14 years ago. Then as in my avatar, the McLaren F1 won Le Mans in 1995 in its first try, but not the specific one in my avatar. The F1 in question is the black Ueno Clinic F1.

Sounds simple, right? British in motorsport. Let's go!

You know the majority of F1 cars from every team are made in Britain, apart from Ferrari of course

neither is sauber

but most of the f1 teams are british based
mclaren
williams
jordan
BAR
Jaguar

plus a couple of ex-teams
benneton was british based, besides their french/renault relationship
arrows
minardi had a british based when stoddart first took over, if that still exists, im not sure

plus many other motorsport teams are british based as well as motorsport related manufacturers are based in the uk, for example Reynard (even though they have gone bust), lola and van diemans

the motorsport business is strong in britain thats for sure, plus there always seems to be more then 1 british driver in f1 every year (this year: DC and JB....in recent years Justin Wilson, Ralph Firman, Eddie Irvine, JOnny herbert, Marl Blundell, Martin Brundle, Damon HIll...list goes on)

Back