• Thread starter GBO Possum
  • 6 comments

GBO Possum

Not quite the oldest member. Yet.
Premium
United States
Massachusetts
GBO-Possum
Having grown up in a British Commonwealth country with quite a few BRG cars (MGs, Healeys, Jags etc), I’m a little obsessed with getting the British Racing Green colour correct.

And the in-game Jaguar BRG you can buy is definitely not a real British Racing Green. Not even close.

Should you share my obsession, here is my best attempt…

Set the Color Picker to H149, S100, V014 and Paint Type “Pearl”.

Here’s the difference… the first photo below is the one you’ll pay credits for in the game, the second one is the formula above, and is free 😉

To verify, try searching online for photos of “British Racing Green MGB” or similar.

Your opinions will be valued, maybe it needs some slight tweaking yet.

7E4CBEF6-A609-4CD7-BAD2-88086D686C52.jpeg
4242A268-818F-43B8-90FD-D7235767CAAE.jpeg

Last edited:
There is no single definition of 'British Racing Green'. The colour was used/abused by multiple manufacturers during it's hey-day, Vanwall, Lotus, Bentley, BRM, Brabham, Aston Martin and even Bugatti to name a few and each of them had a slightly different variation. There were no variations that included any type of pearl or metallic finish.

Personally I prefer the variants used by BLMC on the MGB as in your bottom picture and if I fancy some sparkle then the metallic variant used by Aston Martin on the DBR9 (which I guess is technically Brunswick Green)

Good job on the free version you mixed though :cheers:

There were no variations that included any type of pearl or metallic finish.
I started with the "solid" finish paint, and just wasn't satisfied that it reflected light as I remember it, and as photos such as the MGB one confirm my recollection.

The Hue was, to my eye, perfect. Messing around with the "V" setting didn't seem to fix it, so with great reluctance, I added "pearl". Pearl didn't sound right, but satisfied my eyes.

@daan, your ERA photo kind of appalls me! Don't take this personally, I appreciate the interesting post, but that colour...! I might just have to try to reproduce it for fun.

The 1st one is almost a teal color to me. I think the 2nd hits it much better IMO. I will try you combination later on as love green cars especially BRG :lol:

BRM seemed to use a much darker shade, although the very light green one in the bottom corner is also a BRM.

brm1 (Large).jpg

Aston DBR1
astondbr4 (Large).jpg

Alta GP1.
DSC00274 (Large).JPG

Note also that the Donington GP collection is quite dark and I didn't have a decent camera then.

Back