British Sky Broadcasting = Con Artists?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RikkiGT-R
  • 9 comments
  • 2,463 views

RikkiGT-R

Premium
Messages
2,732
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Messages
RikkiGTR_NEW
Messages
IamValhalla
I've had a Sky+ HD subscription now for about a year (I've actually had Sky on and off for about 7 years but I'm talking about my latest 'package').
Anyway, I've always had Sports and Kids channels for me and my boys but last summer I got everything else switched on (Sky World). Towards Christmas I recorded a load of films before going back to my original package, as I found that everything was being repeated over and over again.
Then last night I went to watch one of my recorded films only to find that "to view this recording, please call 08442 414141 (or whatever) to upgrade your subscription..."

What in the name of 🤬???

Even though I paid a lot of money in good faith for Sky+ HD, paid for the movie channels, and have them stored on my Sky+ HD box's hard drive, I can't watch them unless I have a current movie subscription. Isn't that a bit of a rip off? What on Earth was the point in being able to record them?

I actually have Sky+ HD multi room, Sky phone line and Sky internet but last night I cancelled the direct debit. No doubt they'll be straight onto the phone to moan at me for that (how ironic!). It's a shame because Sky broadband has been the fastest, most reliable internet connection I've ever had (out of Talk Talk, AOL, Orange and now Sky).

Rant over. Any thoughts? Am I right to feel aggrieved?
 
Am I right to feel aggrieved?

Not really.

You only payed to view the programs for X months, why would you get to view it longer just because you put it on your DVR?
 
Not really.

You only payed to view the programs for X months, why would you get to view it longer just because you put it on your DVR?

Because it's Sky+ where I can record several hundred Gigabits of programs to watch at a later date. They allow you to record to an external DVD recorder and such, so why not let me view them any time I like direct from the box?
My HDD now has most of the memory taken up by programs which I payed for in good faith, but are now blocked from viewing.
 
Because if you could do that then people would just sign up for the package, record a load of stuff and then cancel their subscription to those channels within days of signing up to it.

I'd be annoyed as well, but can see why they do it.
 
Ring them up and tell them you want to cancel. They'll let you have it for next to nothing if you convince them you arent bluffing.
 
Ring them up and tell them you want to cancel. They'll let you have it for next to nothing if you convince them you arent bluffing.

Bingo, my dad got a shiney new Sky+ box because he was threatening to leave for Virgin. :lol:
 
Because if you could do that then people would just sign up for the package, record a load of stuff and then cancel their subscription to those channels within days of signing up to it.

I'd be annoyed as well, but can see why they do it.

Hmmm... that's a fair point 👍

Ring them up and tell them you want to cancel. They'll let you have it for next to nothing if you convince them you arent bluffing.

Maybe I'll do that.

Another thing that annoyed me was a few years ago, on a separate subscription. I was on a monthly contract; I pay on the 18th of one month, in advance, and I'm paid up to the 18th of the next month. So I phoned them up on or around the 10th of a month and told them I want to cancel after that month's viewing was up (8 days later).

Their response was that they would take another month's subscription on the 18th of that month and then my viewing would be switched off the following month. I explained that, no, I want to cancel immediately; I'm paid up for another 8 days and after that I'm done. But the operator went on and on about how it's their 'legislation' (or whatever word they used), and that I HAD to pay another month on the coming 18th and THEN my subscription would be cancelled.

Basically forcing another month of full Sky subscription on me even though I didn't want it. I told them I would be cancelling my Direct Debit that day. "You can't do that" they said. Yeah, watch me.

The funny thing about Sky is that I've cancelled my DD countless times and after an initial letter/bill I hear nothing for a few months. Then at the start of the football season they start sending me offers "Come back to Sky and we'll clear your outstanding debt!"

I normally do :D
 
Bee
Bingo, my dad got a shiney new Sky+ box because he was threatening to leave for Virgin. :lol:

My uncle's friend managed to get it for £3 a month for the next 6 months, then he rung up again :dunce:
 
So I phoned Sky the other day and explained my gripe. I told them I had cancelled the Direct Debit because I was really disappointed. But then I said I really do enjoy my viewing, as well as the fact that my internet is incredibly reliable so I didn't really want to cease being a customer.

After some wrangling, I got Sky World (every channel) half price for 6 months and unlimited broadband free for 6 months :D 👍
 
So I phoned Sky the other day and explained my gripe. I told them I had cancelled the Direct Debit because I was really disappointed. But then I said I really do enjoy my viewing, as well as the fact that my internet is incredibly reliable so I didn't really want to cease being a customer.

After some wrangling, I got Sky World (every channel) half price for 6 months and unlimited broadband free for 6 months :D 👍

And that good sir, is a win in my books. 👍
 
Back