The Masaryk Circuit (Commonly reffered to as Brno) is known as a 3.5 mile Grand Prix circuit that was created in 1986. However, prior to the Grand Prix circuit opening, there was a 20 mile street circuit, made entirely of public roads, in operation since 1930. In the 30's it hosted the Masaryk Grand Prix and was named after Czechoslovakia's first president (Tomas Masaryk). The original layout ran for 19 Miles ran entirely on public roads east of Brno, including the villages of Bosonohy and Zebetin. The Masaryk Grand Prix ran from 1930 to 1937 and attracted top teams and drivers. The renamed Czechoslovakian Grand Prix in 1949 was run clockwise on a shorter 12 Mile layout around Kohoutovice. In spite of a crowd in excess of 400,000 people, this would be the last Grand Prix for cars on the old circuit. Beginning in 1950, the circuit played host to the Czechoslovakian Motorcycle Grand Prix, which became a world championship event from 1965 to 1982. The circuit had been again reduced in length to 9 Miles in 1964. The European Touring Car Championship visited in the 1980s, by which time the circuit had been finally reduced to 7 Miles in 1975. The street circuit closed in 1986 when the modern Grand Prix circuit was finished.