BTW, how great is the snow racing physics on this update?!?

• Thread starter Tommy_D
  • 15 comments
United States
United States
I have to admit, the snow racing physics in this update is fantastic. I feel like it has just the right amount of grip vs slip. You can chuck the car in to a turn, have it drift in on entry and controllably modulate the throttle to maintain a perfect drift through the bend then hammer the throttle to shoot you out. And PD didn’t throw random bumps and crevices in to the track that throw the car off a cliff if you don’t hit it just perfectly. This is everything I wanted the rally racing to be like but the rally racing in GT7 sucks. So the addition of a snow track and this level of controlled chaos is a breath of fresh air. I really hope PD brings more snow tracks to the game in its next few updates.

The Celica license test was frustrating as the rear just slides around like mad under full throttle. Use lots of throttle control with steering on that one. But otherwise, yeah, it's super fun I enjoyed the CE too.

Jerome

As much as I'm not a fan of dirt and now snow in this particular game, I agree that the physics help give it a good feel. ...and funny enough, I was doing well on that track from the get-go. At least it's more fun than GT7 dirt tracks.

The physics are serviceable but just like the off-road, there's no differentiation between different kinds of surfaces. In dirt rally driving, there's no force feedback or traction difference between the dirt and the grass at the edge of the track. Similarly, there's no differentiation between the ice-packed groomed sections of track, and the lesser-used areas of track that should have more powder and less traction. The entire surface has the same level of grip and traction, unlike real life.

I don't know if it ever snows properly where the rest of you guys are from but it sure as heck does over here, and after 15 years with a driving licence I can say that PD's idea of snow physics has very little to do with the actual thing. Dry hardpack snow in real life with good tyres is easily grippier than gravel and often more predictable. Not to mention that take a look at any Swedish WRC footage and you'll see that the fastest way around definitely isn't to throw the car into an almost 90 degrees slide and floor it though the corner like PD wants us to think. The least accurate part of GT7 physics by a large margin.

The physics are serviceable but just like the off-road, there's no differentiation between different kinds of surfaces. In dirt rally driving, there's no force feedback or traction difference between the dirt and the grass at the edge of the track. Similarly, there's no differentiation between the ice-packed groomed sections of track, and the lesser-used areas of track that should have more powder and less traction. The entire surface has the same level of grip and traction, unlike real life.
I dunno if it's my setup or what but I totally disagree with this. It's easy easy to feel where you have traction (the groomed surfaces that look like lines in the snow) are way way more grippy. DDPro with random feedback settings for what it's worth is what I'm using.

Honestly I've felt since the update that my wheel is significantly better with feedback than before and maybe even more so for LL. Also I've been driving in snow since I could reach a clutch pedal and long before that on ATVs.

Last edited:
I don't know if it ever snows properly where the rest of you guys are from but it sure as heck does over here,
If it "snows properly"? What the hell does that mean? How does snow not fall properly?
and after 15 years with a driving licence I can say that PD's idea of snow physics has very little to do with the actual thing. Dry hardpack snow in real life with good tyres is easily grippier than gravel and often more predictable.
I would say this is exactly what I am experiencing on the snow track vs the dirt/rally tracks. Much more predictability.
Not to mention that take a look at any Swedish WRC footage and you'll see that the fastest way around definitely isn't to throw the car into an almost 90 degrees slide and floor it though the corner like PD wants us to think. The least accurate part of GT7 physics by a large margin.
Who said that's what PD wants us to think?

If it "snows properly"? What the hell does that mean? How does snow not fall properly?
So that there's more than half an inch of it on the ground for longer than a few hours. Try ten inches for four months straight.
I would say this is exactly what I am experiencing on the snow track vs the dirt/rally tracks. Much more predictability.
Definitely not my findings. The snow grip seems to be heavily dependant on the slip angle, a slight bit too little and it's understeer city, a slight bit too much and the car bogs down, another slight bit more and the car could as well have slicks on ice. Either the snow itself is wrong, or the tyre physics are messed up with the lateral grip.
Who said that's what PD wants us to think?
Considering that's how their own demo runs are done, I'd say it's what they want. Otherwise they probably would have done it differently.

I don't know if it ever snows properly where the rest of you guys are from but it sure as heck does over here, and after 15 years with a driving licence I can say that PD's idea of snow physics has very little to do with the actual thing. Dry hardpack snow in real life with good tyres is easily grippier than gravel and often more predictable. Not to mention that take a look at any Swedish WRC footage and you'll see that the fastest way around definitely isn't to throw the car into an almost 90 degrees slide and floor it though the corner like PD wants us to think. The least accurate part of GT7 physics by a large margin.
You’ll actually save a lot of time by not sliding the car like that. What you want is a small angle to get the car rotating and just enough throttle to keep the car going without breaking traction and starting to slide.

And yes it snows here. From November until May.

The Celica license test was frustrating as the rear just slides around like mad under full throttle. Use lots of throttle control with steering on that one. But otherwise, yeah, it's super fun I enjoyed the CE too.

Jerome
I moved the torque distribution forward to at least 35/65, too taily otherwise.

The snow track is genuinely good fun

Definitely not my findings. The snow grip seems to be heavily dependant on the slip angle, a slight bit too little and it's understeer city, a slight bit too much and the car bogs down, another slight bit more and the car could as well have slicks on ice. Either the snow itself is wrong, or the tyre physics are messed up with the lateral grip.
Since the snow tyres in GT7 are proper spiked tires (not road legal), the grip should be heavily angle dependant like it is.
Spiked tires cannot be compared to regular studded tires that can be used on road.

The snow physics feel weird, in that, (in VR anyway)the connection of wheels & direction give me the sensation I’m going to spin, but I don’t. If PD are simulating snow tracks, I have let go of the steering(DS5 user) and the car doesn’t break away. However, the steering of the wheels feel snappy. Probably the best way I can describe the sensation, for me, in VR.

The snow physics feel weird, in that, (in VR anyway)the connection of wheels & direction give me the sensation I’m going to spin, but I don’t. If PD are simulating snow tracks, I have let go of the steering(DS5 user) and the car doesn’t break away. However, the steering of the wheels feel snappy. Probably the best way I can describe the sensation, for me, in VR.
Man, for someone that enjoys GT as much as you, never thought about getting a wheel? Especially in VR, controller is simply no match...

Man, for someone that enjoys GT as much as you, never thought about getting a wheel? Especially in VR, controller is simply no match...
Oh, I have and am. Hasn’t been a priority. I’m pretty much done customising my daily and looking to set up a tv and PS5 slim in my bedroom. I’ll have space to set up a wheel now. My wife knows what I want for Christmas. ;)

I agree with Greycap

If you've ever driven with studded tyres then the physics are a bit different.

Personally I don't like the rally in general in GT and the fact setting the diff to 50-50 is faster than a rear biased diff is even at odds with the delta or evo of the day where they were rear biased.

But the snow is a nice change but tricky for me personally.

Latest Posts

Back