Bugged Ride Height, Improve Handling

United States
Fl
ItsLlamaLlama
Hey everyone,

I’ve noticed the ride height feels backwards, higher ride height feels more stable (reminiscent of GT6 bugged camber). I made a video to show visually what I mean. This won’t cure oversteering but it definitely has helped me.

Background: Played every title since GT3, I’ve autocrossed competitively, many car and motorcycle track days under my belt. Avid suspension tuner on sim and IRL.

Let me know what you all think and let me know what car you have tested.

Would be great if we could get this to PD, maybe tag them on twitter if you can. Is there a bug report feature in-game?

The first thing that stands out to me is the steering angle adapter - that upgrade has given me nothing but trouble as far as steering response, and it gets worse the lower the front ride height goes. Maybe the game is simulating tire rub on the fenders from the ride height being too low, but there's not enough info in the game to determine that. Lap times still seem worse with high ride height even if handling feels better, which makes sense, but I'll have to test this some more.

The first thing that stands out to me is the steering angle adapter - that upgrade has given me nothing but trouble as far as steering response, and it gets worse the lower the front ride height goes. Maybe the game is simulating tire rub on the fenders from the ride height being too low, but there's not enough info in the game to determine that. Lap times still seem worse with high ride height even if handling feels better, which makes sense, but I'll have to test this some more.
Higher ride height should technically lower top speed. It's possible that is sim'd separate from how ride height and how it affects handling is sim'd. Making it possible for one to bugged (handling) and one to be correct (lower speed due to air flow issues)
Could explain slower latimer but a better driving feel.

Last edited:
Higher ride height should technically lower top speed. It's possible that is sim'd separate from how ride height and how it affects handling is sim'd. Making it possible for one to bugged (handling) and one to be correct (lower speed due to air flow issues)
Could explain slower latimer but a better driving feel.
It negatively affects cornering performance, not so much straight line speed. The difference is obvious when racing a ghost.

Also, the rake affects your top end more than just pure ride height. If you crank up the front ride height and keep the rear low, you can get slightly more top end, but that's obviously bad for most cornering scenarios.

Ride height does simulate tire rubbing, bottoming out, under/overloading. Tires also simulate hydroplane, dirty tires, and potentially heat now.

In GT Sport (and real life) a TRUE and proper (not slammed) lower ride height should:
1) increase steering response
2) increase stability
3) Limits suspension travel

These are things being experienced with what the game calls tall height. TRUE tall height should have more roll and increase load to tires and overloading tires making it easier to lose traction.

Lap times can be subjective and are impacted by a lot and it by itself does not determine anything. You’ll have to retune the suspension and relearn to drive the car to determine if it’s helpful and that’s why I left out speed. Too many variables… and My lap times were faster. If the car feels better with a taller height than that at least is showing its not sim’d correctly.

Side note: in gt sport I could rake (-/+) almost any car and change handling dynamics. Because gt7 cars have a lot of front grip and rear ends don’t have enough grip, there are not as many cars where rake is helpful.

It doesn’t help that there are bugs for wheel users. I have not experienced any steering response changes using the angle adapter. What wheel are you using? What are your ffb settings? I’m using a g29.

In the in game manual for tuning it does say something about ride height being the most important thing and needing to find the proper ride height. Thought that was funny lol.

Last edited:
I just ran the Ford GT at RouteX, tall ride height lost 8mph but was actually driveable around the banking. Low ride height would slosh bad on a high speed slalom and spin. I’m assuming acceleration is lower with a tall ride height but we’re talking 220mph vs 230 on a looong straight, not very impactful to speed. I’ll make a video about that too.

I started experimenting with ride height, I'm finding 10-15mm above bottom is about the minimum I can run without handling issues. Lower than that and I start getting odd bottoming. Definitely notice a bit of a difference in acceleration and braking, so lower ride height is the way to go. I'm throwing the common sense approach of higher grip, higher spring rate.

The game is still way too snap oversteer happy, even working in a softer rear never gets rid of this issue.

Hey everyone,

I’ve noticed the ride height feels backwards, higher ride height feels more stable (reminiscent of GT6 bugged camber). I made a video to show visually what I mean. This won’t cure oversteering but it definitely has helped me.

Background: Played every title since GT3, I’ve autocrossed competitively, many car and motorcycle track days under my belt. Avid suspension tuner on sim and IRL.

Let me know what you all think and let me know what car you have tested.

Bam! You nailed it. I love tuning, but despite my best setup, I could not solve that problem. Great video, I hope someone from PD gets word of this. Man they are ugly that high

Wow, great find!

Cars behave much more natural (and respond to tuning in a predictable way) when ride height is high enough. The difference in a few cars I tested was night and day.

Not sure about the reverse thing, though. I previously found that making the cars super stiff made them easier to control, and now I think the reason is probably because of some wonky suspension travel/bump stop issue.

Edit: Tested some with the Alfa 4C and 130mm ride height was a threshold. 130 and up, the car handled beautifully. Any lower and it would just slide around like it's on ice.

Maybe related to how skittish some cars are on bumpy tracks. Feels to me like all grip is lost the moment a corner hits the bump stop-or something similar.

Last edited:
I’ve tried max/min the shocks and exaggerating the springs, bars, and rear toe but it makes the car really understeer and not fun to drive… and the cars will still over steer dramatically near max throttle.

I did see that cars on race tires and cars that generally have a lot of grip can handle lower heights. Also, most cars are sensitive to rake so I tend to level the height or reduce the rake from stock specs.

Unfortunately, the new physics has neutered the diff from being a strong tool. In Sport you could get away by just tuning the diff since it had a more pronounced affect.

I’ve tried max/min the shocks and exaggerating the springs, bars, and rear toe but it makes the car really understeer and not fun to drive… and the cars will still over steer dramatically near max throttle.

I did see that cars on race tires and cars that generally have a lot of grip can handle lower heights. Also, most cars are sensitive to rake so I tend to level the height or reduce the rake from stock specs.

Unfortunately, the new physics has neutered the diff from being a strong tool. In Sport you could get away by just tuning the diff since it had a more pronounced affect.
What do U do for diff settings?

Increasing body rigidity helped a lot with the 4C, but didn't quite fix the Z.

I think the diff works pretty well in GT7 to be honest.
But you first have to make sure the suspension has a workable range as it looks like nothing helps once the springs bottom out.

I also just found out that race cars don't suffer from any of this. All Gr4 and Gr3 MR cars I've tried handle beautifully, haven't tried FR yet though.

Ske
Increasing body rigidity helped a lot with the 4C, but didn't quite fix the Z.

I think the diff works pretty well in GT7 to be honest.
But you first have to make sure the suspension has a workable range as it looks like nothing helps once the springs bottom out.

I also just found out that race cars don't suffer from any of this. All Gr4 and Gr3 MR cars I've tried handle beautifully, haven't tried FR yet though.
Yup, race tires are sticky enough to mask or work with the lower ride heights.

As far as body rigidity I haven’t messed too much with it but everything felt sharper by a small amount

I think the lighter cars have issues creating enough load? For the z I dropped the rear height, 5 mm lower than the front.

Last edited:
First impression (very limited testing) is that today's patch may have fixed this issue.
Oversteer is much more controllable and less catastrophic now.
Tested at tsukuba with Z34 and '15 Mustang, stock and full custom suspension/diff.

Even with 40 accel lock and sport hards I was able to control the mustang pretty easily.
It wants to spin up the rears everywhere, but finds grip when I back off (which didn't really happen before).

Edit:
MR/RR lift-off oversteer also seems to have been fixed, as has force feedback around rear slip angle.
MR/RR cars feel really good now!
Since the only physics adjustment mentioned was for high downforce cars over kerbs, this leads me to believe that it was indeed related to bottoming out (some sort of overflow error that made the engine freak out maybe?)

Last edited:
I think there is no sag in the race suspension. Stock suspension has drop out and sag. But when I go with adjustable suspension it limits travel. I think there is a bug here and this is why rally tuning is off. Stock raptor suspension is better than anything I can tune to with adjustable suspension.

Back