Building A Gaming PC

United States
United States
TurboJunky34
This thread is for anything related to building a good gaming PC and helping others with building a PC. If you have any suggested pieces of hardware you use or have heard about please share it below. I am also going to be building my own gaming PC once I get some money saved up and what not. That is the main reason I made this thread. To see what you guys would suggest. I have been looking around on newegg.com for all the hardware so far and I came up with a list of hardware that I might buy once I get the money so could you guys help me and tell me if they would function correctly together. I am not the smartest person with building a PC so I need some input on what to look for and how to properly build the PC without having any problems with the hardware.

Well here are the parts I was looking at so please let me know if I will run into any problems using them together.

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2774-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LG Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner WH16NS40 - OEM

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

So there is that is the parts I was looking at but I am mostly confused about the Disc Drive to use. I wasn't sure if that is the one I want or is there a suggested Disc Drive to use.

Just going to post my reply here as well!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($151.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($344.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1233.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-01 14:20 EDT-0400)

How come you've gone from a 770 to a 780ti?

Do you have a budget in mind or what style of PC you want like flashy expensive parts or bang for buck, do you need dual graphic cards or the option? All seems a bit random at the moment.

The 8350 is 2 years old now, adding a $120 cooler is not worth doing, just get an i7. GTX 770 is a keplar 680 from early 2012.

If you don't care and just putting down some pocket money then cool but if this is a big deal then I'd go with less bling, smaller PSU, no $200 mobo or $160 ram. If you can sit tight the next wave of stuff is coming. Much of this will be old hat soon with DDR4 coming as well as graphic cards. i'd wait to see how console ports fare. 2gb of vram is crappy for a new super pc going forward. Fine in 2010-13.

As for DVD writers or bluray writers, yeah most go lite on or LG, or whatever, no big deal just make sure its SATA and not IDE. Are you ever going to burn or play a bluray in your PC?

PS4 games will use 2.5-3.5gb vram typically. They have a 5GB pool and games video will use up half or more, up to the devs really.

Last edited:
I am looking for a PC that I can play games on Ultra settings and have no frame drop or lag. And the whole budget thing is I am going to be buying everything myself so I am going to save up as much as possible (Preferably $1,500-$2,000).

When will you have the money? PC market can change quickly sometimes so suggestions might be invalid later.

It's a good budget for a top of the line PC. Nvidia have been poor on the amount of vram over recent years. 780ti for around $700 with only 3gb of ram is not good value in my opinion and I think future nvidia cards will be much better. Still the 780ti is great for most things right now but depends if more games soon are up in that area.

Any of you guys have any notes on the Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti? I found an Asus card on Amazon with very good reviews, and using GPUBoss I saw that it was very good for my price range. I was just wondering if you guys had any good/bad experiences with it.

Any of you guys have any notes on the Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti? I found an Asus card on Amazon with very good reviews, and using GPUBoss I saw that it was very good for my price range. I was just wondering if you guys had any good/bad experiences with it.

750ti is very good performance for the power consumption as its on the new maxwell design. You don't even need a pcie cable on your PSU, runs from the pcie slot, making it a great card for those with cheap prebuilt systems or very small builds.

The R9 270X is the same price for much better performance in many games. You get near GTX 760 power at 750ti price with the 270X. 7870 beats it well, as do 660 650ti to a lesser extent. Still a very good card if you must go nvidia and the pc outlets in your country don't carry much stock selection.

750ti is very good performance for the power consumption as its on the new maxwell design. You don't even need a pcie cable on your PSU, runs from the pcie slot, making it a great card for those with cheap prebuilt systems or very small builds .
The R9 270X is the same price for me was much better performance in many games. You get near GTX 760 power at 750ti price with the 270X. 7870 beats it well, as do 660 650ti to a lesser extent. Still a very good card if you must go nvidia and the pc outlets in your country don't carry much stock selection.
I was going to use the card for that - a pre-built system. I'm on my phone right now, but I would link it here. 4GHz AMD processor, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450 and AFAIK a 500watt PSU with all power cables used, so I may want to upgrade that later in life as well.

Latest Posts

Back