Building a new computer [2K AUD limit]

• Thread starter Shoogar
  • 21 comments
What are your plans for the machine? Based on the 760 I'm going to assume gaming but I just want to clarify.

Assuming gaming is the primary focus, I'd go with the i5 and I'd also kick down the 16Gb or RAM to 8 and use the price difference to upgrade the GPU. If you're going to be doing a lot of video editing with it, the i7 and extra RAM will serve you well but they're really not necessary for anything short of that.

TB
What are your plans for the machine? Based on the 760 I'm going to assume gaming but I just want to clarify.

Assuming gaming is the primary focus, I'd go with the i5 and I'd also kick down the 16Gb or RAM to 8 and use the price difference to upgrade the GPU. If you're going to be doing a lot of video editing with it, the i7 and extra RAM will serve you well but they're really not necessary for anything short of that.

Thanks for the advice. It's looking like that will be the final build as my local store has confirmed having all the parts available! Planning to get building in the next 2 weeks, will post pictures of before and after!

Last edited:
What kind of GPU would you suggest upgrading to if I down-size the RAM?
That all depends on what kind of person you are. There are some that are fine with low resolution, integrated graphics quality. Conversely, others want the latest and greatest. Three of them. :lol:

Only you know what you're looking for, what you're willing to spend and if you have a preference with Nvidia or AMD. That said, I'd suggest looking at stats on GPUBoss. Throw a pair of cards in there and see how they stack up. Personally, I'm partial to Nvidia and when the time came to buy the GPU, it was a toss up between the 760 and 770. The 770 was $130 more but then came with a $60 game, which to me justified the cost. Without that game I likely wouldn't have done it. I've been nothing but happy with the 770 but, like anyone building rigs, I'm concerned with how long the 770 will age. Thankfully I'm not one that's super concerned with needing all the eye candy turned on to enjoy a game. :)

TB
That all depends on what kind of person you are. There are some that are fine with low resolution, integrated graphics quality. Conversely, others want the latest and greatest. Three of them. :lol:

Thankfully I'm not one that's super concerned with needing all the eye candy turned on to enjoy a game. :)

Honestly anything upgraded from the iMac i've been using would be a nice upgrade. I've bought a laptop for work and can now splurge on something nice to muck around on.

A GTX780Ti will be more than enough for the next 3 years.

You can save from $100~$300 by stay away from water cooling.

You can save from $100~$300 by stay away from water cooling.

I've had a lot of mixed opinions about water cooling. What kind of alternative would you suggest that would have similar results?

A LCLC(Low Cost Liquid Cooling) is an easy to use water cooling setup.

You install heatblock to the CPU and mount the radiator/fan then plug it in.
It is most simple to use watercooling, it has no maintenance needed.

Or you could go for a full water cooling loop,
Some companies make full water cooling loop kits
Which come with the piping needed, radiator, pump, heatblock, tank and coolant.
It need retinue maintenance such as coolant replacement, flushing the whole system.

A custom loop is the best IMO.
You can choose your own heatblock, own pumps. own tank, own coolant, own radiator, own piping.
It need retinue maintenance just like a full loop, but you can customize it to suit your tastes and may have better performance since you can get the best from each company.

But I am no pro on water cooling.
You're better off going to a PC forum and asking what kind of water cooling setup you should get.

Here is my loop.

1x XSPC Acrylic Single 5.25 Bay Reservoir $39 each
1x Black Ice GTX 280 Radiator $120 each
2x Koolance Fluorescent Blue Liquid Coolant 700mL $19 each
2x Koolance NZL-V13-19KG 1/2 Silver Compression Nozzle $8 each
2x BitFenix Spectre Pro 140mm Black Fan $16 each
1x Koolance Drain Valve VLV-XTSPLB $15 each
2x Bitspower Luxury Tube Clamp Black $5 each
1x Swiftech Apogee HD CPU Waterblock Black $79 each
3x PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing Black 1/2ID 3/4OD $7 each
1x Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump $99
6x Koolance NZL-V13-19KG-BK 1/2 Black Compression Nozzle $8 each

Total $523

Instead of the 770, I personally would suggest an R9 290, for example the Sapphire Tri-X.

For the almost $300 price difference GPUBoss only rates the R9 290X 0.1 above the 770. I don't know if I could justify myself spending that much extra on a card for 2GB more.

Grayfox
You could use a full water cooling loop

So the liquid one I've got is easy to set up, just not as efficient? From what the store I'm purchasing it all from has said, the one in the build is out-dated but hasn't been updated to the new model yet. I'd prefer to keep the build simple as it's my second time putting one together.

For the almost $300 price difference GPUBoss only rates the R9 290X 0.1 above the 770. I don't know if I could justify myself spending that much extra on a card for 2GB more.

So the liquid one I've got is easy to set up, just not as efficient? From what the store I'm purchasing it all from has said, the one in the build is out-dated but hasn't been updated to the new model yet. I'd prefer to keep the build simple as it's my second time putting one together.
I am not talking about the 290X, I am talking about the R9 290 WITHOUT an X. I don't know many things about GPU boss, what I know is that the 290 is not that much more expensive than the 770 and it is just between the 770 and the 780 in terms of power... I also do not know much about AUD, but here in Austria they are about the same price :)

I am not talking about the 290X, I am talking about the R9 290 WITHOUT an X. I don't know many things about GPU boss, what I know is that the 290 is not that much more expensive than the 770 and it is just between the 770 and the 780 in terms of power... I also do not know much about AUD, but here in Austria they are about the same price :)

I've found an R9 290 for $20 more. Going to do a little bit more research into the two now. Thanks for the suggestion :)

I've found an R9 290 for $20 more. Going to do a little bit more research into the two now. Thanks for the suggestion :)
GPUBoss gives them both an 8.6 out of ten and they both trade blows back and forth depending on the category. The trump card to me is the 770 is cheaper. Although if you found one for $20 difference, that makes the decision tougher.

TB
GPUBoss gives them both an 8.6 out of ten and they both trade blows back and forth depending on the category. The trump card to me is the 770 is cheaper. Although if you found one for $20 difference, that makes the decision tougher.
I would go for the 290 because it has the higher raw power output. The downside would be the heat, because 290s get very hot without a decent cooler. That is why I suggested the Sapphire Tri-X.

However, as I am just an amateur regarding computers, I may be wrong.

The LCLC ones are small.

A full kit comes with a larger tank, larger radiator and a better pump.

LCLC type kit, just plug and play.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22308&cPath=23

Full kit, you need to put it together, parts are from the company(in this case XSPC), you may need to get coolant.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_45&products_id=27264

You make it using parts you want.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_160

Last edited:
Welp! I was talked into getting the $479 GPU by the computer salesman in return for free assembly. Have ordered and paid for it all.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Lachieaj/saved/gHjNnQ is my final specs list. Having to pay a bit more for the keyboard since it's discontinued now :nervous:

Final costing is $2010. Picking it up on Friday. Will update original post with pictures & set up!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Welp! I was talked into getting the $479 GPU by the computer salesman in return for free assembly.
How much was the GPU you were planning on getting and how much do the charge for assembly? Fairly close to a wash but with the benefit of better hardware?

TB
How much was the GPU you were planning on getting and how much do the charge for assembly? Fairly close to a wash but with the benefit of better hardware?

Was planning to get the $409 one. They didn't have it in stock and said that I could either get a lesser model or a more expensive one. They wanted $70 for assembly, so it would have been the same price anyway!

Have everything together, they sent me a white keyboard instead of a black one but it will do!

Currently having one issue though: My internet speed has dramatically dropped. It took me ages to get my wireless connected and my laptop gets speeds 15-20x faster than my tower. Should I get new drivers for my wireless adapter?
(ASUS PCE-N15):
3692219410.png
Just bought a Netgear USB receiver and connected to my Wifi via it and pulled these speeds:
3692428173.png
Much nicer.

Also i've chosen my SSD as my boot device and now my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing my 1TB regular hard drive. Little bit worrying.

IMAGES TO COME

Last edited:
Have everything together, they sent me a white keyboard instead of a black one but it will do!

Currently having one issue though: My internet speed has dramatically dropped. It took me ages to get my wireless connected and my laptop gets speeds 15-20x faster than my tower. Should I get new drivers for my wireless adapter?
(ASUS PCE-N15):
3692219410.png
Just bought a Netgear USB receiver and connected to my Wifi via it and pulled these speeds:
3692428173.png
Much nicer.

Also i've chosen my SSD as my boot device and now my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing my 1TB regular hard drive. Little bit worrying.

IMAGES TO COME

The first check was at 1630 as business traffic normally begins to peak, I'd do a comparative same-time check... but in fairness you're not going to pull that difference back.

How does the tower perform wired, are the locations of tower/receiver exactly as they were previously (small adjustments can hugely alter reflection problems)?

One more thing to check, is everything getting the power it should?

The first check was at 1630 as business traffic normally begins to peak, I'd do a comparative same-time check... but in fairness you're not going to pull that difference back.

How does the tower perform wired, are the locations of tower/receiver exactly as they were previously (small adjustments can hugely alter reflection problems)?

One more thing to check, is everything getting the power it should?

Managed to fix the hard drive issue thanks to Grayfox.

Internet speed wise, nobody else was in my house at the time connected to my router, so I couldn't comprehend why it was so slow. I also did tests at 3am and 10am and yielded similar results. Previously i've had issues that I haven't been able to fix regarding the new power meters that were rolled out in my country a few years ago, it created a total black spot in my room and when the front door is open speeds are significantly slower.

I believe it is just the location of the receiver and its signal strength. I've moved my net gear USB receiver around and gotten speeds varying from 20MBp/s to 80MBp/s.

Back