Building My New PVC Cockpit

• Thread starter Mapnapkin
  • 21 comments
Hey All.
Just thought I would make a post to follow my progress.
So... I am building an adjustable cockpit. The seat slides back, wheel slides up and out.
PVC is 2 inch.
pvc on wheel stand is 1 1/2 inch

so heres some photos

01.basiccar.jpg 03.toeclose.jpg 04.wheeladjust.jpg 05.seatadjust.jpg 07.router.jpg

08.wheelstand.jpg 09.wheelstand.jpg 10.wheelstand.jpg 12.wheelstand.jpg 11.wheelstand.jpg

more photos to come.
Need to mount the seat and make final adjustments.

Last edited:
Nice. Keep updating. You have given me some good ideas. Few questions.

How is that board that the wheel clamps to adjustable? Is it only angle wise and tightened and held in place by that wingnut?

I'm also confused to what those U-clamps are for in Pic #10.

What wheel are you going to use? If it has a shifter, where are you mounting it?

Also like to see how you mount the seat when you get that done.

Thanks

I'm confused on the Height adjustment. Is that still 2" going in to that T? How does it slide in and out? More importantly, how does it stay up?

The top wheel mount parts are made out of 1 1/2 inch.
the bottom base parts are 2 inch
The top slides in and out of a size changing adapter.. cupling thing (not sure what the proper word for it is)
06.sizeadapters.jpg

The 1 1/2 inch PVC fit in that size adapter very snug but is easy to slide.
It just slides out and stays where you stop it. That may loosen up in the future so I may have to add a pin through it. So far everything is very sturdy.

Let me know if you need any close up pictures.

Last edited:
Ok. I've just been comparing the two rigs. It seems you mocked his pretty well. Is the 2 "U" bolts there fore more stability? Cause simul8r only has one but he said is wasnt very ridged.

The two Ubolts do add stability, that's one reason I put them farther apart but their main purpose is to adjust the tilt of the steering wheel.

compare these two photos

0826091432.jpg

0826091433.jpg

So far, including planning, screwing around thinking things through and trips to the store.. about 8 hours maybe.
Without all the standing around we could have finished the whole thing in half the time.
That's why I'm posting these pictures so it will help others.

I don't have a separate shifter, mine is on the wheel (Logitech DFP) but if I did I could mount it next to the wheel. In Soviet America we have shifters on the right side. :)

Also, here's my price list.
PVC pipes ~$15
PVC adapters and connectors ~$40
screws & hardware ~$10
Seat - $25 clearance at schucks.. or CSK depending on where you live
scrap wood laying around - free
Help from someone that knows what their doing - priceless

On my way now to finish the seat.
pictures later tonight.

The seats is now mounted and its all put together.
The seat box could be built any number of ways but this was fast.

So far the set up is very comfortable, evreything seems to be the right levels and distances.
Everyone that sits in it so far pushes the wheel all the way in.
Im six feet tall and I pull the wheel out about 2 inches

0827091958.jpg 0827092007.jpg 0827092020.jpg 0827092042.jpg 0827092052.jpg 0827092116a.jpg

even fits my kids

Thats pretty much what I'd want to do at for financial reasons. Very nice build.

The tools and garage set up is my friends, not mine unfortunately.
Had lots of fun building this.. going to go use it right now and test it out.

Just for reference, heres my old fake car. All wood, looks cool but does not adjust. The steering wheel was a little too high. I could have fixed it but I just built a new one instead. Im glad I did.

0613091505.jpg 0613091509.jpg 0613091510.jpg 0613091507.jpg 0613091549.jpg

I like the look of your PVC cockpit Mapnapkin.👍 I'm thinking about making something similar one day. Is it very ridgid? Does it flex much? I've seen a few cockpits that people have made out of PVC and they filled some of the sections in with concrete to keep it sturdy. Thanks, Cougar23

I just got done playing for a few hours and Its awesome.
When I was playing I didn't notice much shaking, it seemed sturdy. I am very happy with it.

I am going to have to put in pins on the steering wheel stand section. once in a while the wheel will go in a little but its easy to pull it back to the right position. that does distract from the game. However, that will need to be fixed.

Over all its very sturdy, I will not do anything to make it more sturdy. I'm very happy with it.

My seat is plastic so I will definitely get a seat cover/cushion

Thanks Schmo
First.. I got the idea from 'simul8r' this post
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55048&page=63.

Hey Mapnapkin, it's interesting how you changed a few things for your gear. To add, I noticed you didn't add a 'T' joint at the end of the steering pipe as I have with mine and rather drilled the pipe to hold the platform. Is the pipe showing any signs of collapsing while tightening the wingnut/bolt? Just wondering.

Ok. I've just been comparing the two rigs. It seems you mocked his pretty well. Is the 2 "U" bolts there fore more stability? Cause simul8r only has one but he said is wasnt very ridged.

The 'T' joint with the single 'U' bolt in my plans were designed to allow pivoting the steering wheel based on the players needs. It is quite sturdy during play even when cranking up the forcefeedback to max. It is, however, not meant to be leaned on while supporting all your weight has you climb in and out of the cockpit, as you would with a regular vehicle. I, instead, place one hand on the seat and one on the rig's frame while I entering and exiting the pod. This is what I meant by a slight flex when I first used it as support by mistake.

Thanks for your input simul8r. Havent started anything yet. Didnt get the ok from the project manager yet (wife).

Hey Mapnapkin, it's interesting how you changed a few things for your gear. To add, I noticed you didn't add a 'T' joint at the end of the steering pipe as I have with mine and rather drilled the pipe to hold the platform. Is the pipe showing any signs of collapsing while tightening the wingnut/bolt? Just wondering.

Hey Hey simul8r.. its the inventor. Sorry for the late response. First off, thanks for the awesome design.
The wing nut/bolt through the end doesn't get torqued down on. I only finger tighten it. The wood portion of the wheel mount is very sturdy itself.. but that bolt doesn't need to be super tight to do its job.
It just holds down the front of the wheel mount and allows it to pivot.
So I guess the answer is no signs of stress or weakening.

The 'T' joint with the single 'U' bolt in my plans were designed to allow pivoting the steering wheel based on the players needs. It is quite sturdy during play even when cranking up the forcefeedback to max. It is, however, not meant to be leaned on while supporting all your weight has you climb in and out of the cockpit, as you would with a regular vehicle. I, instead, place one hand on the seat and one on the rig's frame while I entering and exiting the pod. This is what I meant by a slight flex when I first used it as support by mistake.

Ya, I would never use the frame as a support to get in or out either.
However after the pvc bonding glue, this thing is very strong.

I could have used more pictures of your wheel mounting system. It was kind of hard to tell what you had going on. That required me to rethink what I thought would work, that's how I came up with what I did.

Only thing I need to add to this thing is a cup holder.

Hey Mapnapkin! Really good design, I actually just built my cockpit using your idea.
Here is a quick pic of the setup:
20434_276044416653_503101653_4539023_7161662_n.jpg

Only thing i have trouble with is the board mounting with the U-bolts. It's hard to make it not slip around.

Back