BUILDS - Livery Timelapses, Cinematics, and Tuning

India
India
AfraidRacer
AfraidRacer17
full

Welcome to the the official BUILDS thread! If you're here from YouTube, sign up for a free GTPlanet account and join the discussion. If you've found this thread from the forums over here, check out the latest episode here:

Frequently Asked Questions

1)What is BUILDS?

BUILDS is a series where I test cars and their handling characteristics, create a tune based on my analysis, and then design a livery based on a particular concept. This all comes together to form one cohesive tune+livery, after which is a short cinematic showing the car in action.

2)OK, but why this thread?
I feel like an idea like this, of creating one single car based on a concept, has not been explored before and is something new for GTS. BUILDS is very much a community-supported project, and this thread will be place where people can get a behind-the-scenes look at the episodes, and even help out during production! I of course need ideas for future episodes, and fan from YouTube can suggest them here too. I will also need some drivers for the ending cinematics, as some of them might require custom liveries. I will publish every livery as soon as I am done, and some of GTPlanet's tuners can help out too! Moreover, you can help me find music for the cinematics too!

3)Will you consider my idea for a future build?
Sure! I have a few cars planned, including:
NASCAR Mustang Gr.3 Road Car
RX-7 Trackday(FD3S)
Castrol Tom's GR Supra Racing Concept/FT-1 VGT Gr.3

4)What's the schedule?
I'll try for one episode every other Saturday, but some episodes might be a bit delayed.

5)What parts do you need help for?
I'll post my liveries so you can help me see which areas need to be worked on, and I'm pretty unfamiliar with music so I'll ask for music that suits the 'vibe' of a particular build. I'll also need some drivers for the cinematics which require custom liveries.

Like this post to join the mailing list! I'll update you whenever a new video comes out!

This is very much a huge passion project of mine, please let me know if you like what you have seen till now!

Last edited:
Hey all, I think I've put a lot of effort into this video, but it's one of my my lowest ranked in terms of views and click-through rate. Any ideas on what I can do for the thumbnail or title? Should I promote it elsewhere?
Also, @fastone371 @Pigems You guys are in the US/Canada I believe, so I'm uploading an alternate version today which replaces DragonForce with 5OUL ON D!SPLAY.

Hey all, I think I've put a lot of effort into this video, but it's one of my my lowest ranked in terms of views and click-through rate. Any ideas on what I can do for the thumbnail or title? Should I promote it elsewhere?
Also, @fastone371 @Pigems You guys are in the US/Canada I believe, so I'm uploading an alternate version today which replaces DragonForce with 5OUL ON D!SPLAY.

I thought the video pretty cool. I have never created any liveries, I usually only log on for a couple hours on weekends and use that time to race. Creating liveries looks very time consuming and I dont know how to create anything but pretty much just a single color but I think I learned more from this video about creating liveries than anywhere else so far, so thank you for that. Im curious if you drive with a wheel or the DS4. I race with a Fanatec CSL wheel and V3 load cell pedals, I have never used more than 2 BB either direction and only then very rarely. I also run my diff setting at lower numbers, at high numbers it makes the car feel like it has a locked diff. I have noticed that stopping distances with the DS4 are much shorter and braking overall seems much easier than with pedals. I don't know if its like that with all pedals or just load cell pedals.

I thought the video pretty cool'. I have never created any liveries, I usually only log on for a couple hours on weekends and use that time to race. Creating liveries looks very time consuming and I dont know how to create anything but pretty much just a single color but I think I learned more from this video about creating liveries than anywhere else so far, so thank you for that. Im curious if you drive with a wheel or the DS4. I race with a Fanatec CSL wheel and V3 load cell pedals, I have never used more than 2 BB either direction and only then very rarely. I also run my diff setting at lower numbers, at high numbers it makes the car feel like it has a locked diff. I have noticed that stopping distances with the DS4 are much shorter and braking overall seems much easier than with pedals. I don't know if its like that with all pedals or just load cell pedals.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it! I'm using a T300, but the tune is a bit exaggerated because I just couldn't get it to not oversteer. Braking distances seem fine with ABS, I can usually brake later than the cones in Gr.3, haven't noticed much differences between Controller and wheel.
Also yeah, liveries take a lot of time, I usually take 2-4 hours for each one, for this project I had around 2 hours worth of footage.

Last edited:
I've been getting some feedback on Alpine F1, mainly about adding more commentary during the timelapse(so that was actually a successful experiment!) and adding a 360 view after the timelapse. Obviously these changes will carry over to future episodes, but I want to make a few changes to how I approach the cinematic of episode 2(Corvette GT4.R). So, I request you guys to watch these two cinematics and answer a few questions. Please help me out if you're reading this, I'm trying to make this series the best GT Sport content!

Cinematic 1-5OUL ON D!SPLAY

Cinematic 2-RX Vision GT500(skip to the end)

Questions
1)Which of these do you outright like more?
2)Are you able to distinguish which of the cinematics is recorded in chronological order?
3)Can you feel the 2nd one being like a 'race highlights'?
4)Do you prefer fast cuts and more shots, or less cuts and longer shots?
5)Did you notice any camera 'tricks' and if so which one did you like the most?
6)Lastly, are there any other changes you would make to these 2 cinematics?

Also, what kind of footage would you like to see in the pre-testing phase of Episode 1?
a)keep the current 'view car' footage
b)cockpit cam of maggiore
c)something else

Last edited:
I've been getting some feedback on Alpine F1, mainly about adding more commentary during the timelapse(so that was actually a successful experiment!) and adding a 360 view after the timelapse. Obviously these changes will carry over to future episodes, but I want to make a few changes to how I approach the cinematic of episode 2(Corvette GT4.R). So, I request you guys to watch these two cinematics and answer a few questions. Please help me out if you're reading this, I'm trying to make this series the best GT Sport content!

Questions
2)Are you able to distinguish which of the cinematics is recorded in chronological order?

Also, what kind of footage would you like to see in the pre-testing phase of Episode 1?
c)something else

The second video is blocked for me.

Questions

c)something else

My thoughts:

1) Both. I feel the first cinematic suits road cars better whereas the second racing cinematic suits racing cars better (GR.*)
2) No.
3) Yes, definitely, it has that race replay vibe
4) I prefer longer cuts because they allow more time to view the livery which seems to be what you are trying to achieve. They also remind me of the Scapes videos you get when viewing a car in garage
5) Not particularly, but then I'm not the most observant :lol:
6) Following on from 4) the balancing of shots in editing will be the toughest thing to get right. But, like with driving you will improve naturally with more practice. It's hard to give substantial feedback on a limited sample.

For a) b) c) my only comment would be to vary this part, to avoid over familiarity on the part of the viewer.

Overall, I am impressed with your first effort though 👍

My thoughts:

1) Both. I feel the first cinematic suits road cars better whereas the second racing cinematic suits racing cars better (GR.*)
2) No.
4) I prefer longer cuts because they allow more time to view the livery which seems to be what you are trying to achieve. They also remind me of the Scapes videos you get when viewing a car in garage
6) Following on from 4) the balancing of shots in editing will be the toughest thing to get right. But, like with driving you will improve naturally with more practice. It's hard to give substantial feedback on a limited sample.

For a) b) c) my only comment would be to vary this part, to avoid over familiarity on the part of the viewer.

Thanks for replying, I'll keep the race car/road car thing in mind! I'll also try for a few longer shots in the middle, but did you get any 'vibe' from the cinematics?

My thoughts:

2) No.

I agree with the above.

We are back with another episode of BUILDS, and this time it's about the Corvette Gr.4! Episode 3 will be out within the coming weeks, as I have already started working on it!

Mailing list:
@PirovacBoy @sirjim73 @fastone371 @Pigems @Timm Sheehan if you like the video then do share it with your friends!
If you would like to join the GTP mailing list, just leave a like on the top post of this thread!

Back