Bump stops when doing TT's (and differential question)

• Thread starter ODB
  • 2 comments

ODB

CAR_ODB
If I'm just trying to push as fast of a lap I just can should I always just get rid off bump stops altogether to keep the car as responsive as possible?? My knowlenge of setting up the car is quite poor and it really is based on what I've learned playin DRVING simulator and now for past 4 months in Pcars so there's a ton of stuff to learn, but just comes to mind that are bump stops ONLY used just so that the driver won't brake hes back and for the suspension to last longer??

Also it seems to me that I don't know how to use the LSD :D I almost always end up having zero decel lock and zero slip preload for otherwise the car feels too stiff... Something just makes me think I could benefit from the LSD a bit more, if I'd actually used some values for it... Any ideas how I should change my approach on tuning/driving to be able to use higher values for LSD? OR does the LSD setting really matter that much if I just feel OK with it?? With higher slip preload and decel lock I think I could be able to brake deeper in to the corner, but does even this matter if I just catch it with some throttle when rear starts sliding??

Here's few examples of my tunes and driving, if someone has some constructive critic or tips to give please do so!! Always looking for ways to improve my performance so it really is all welcome :) (I'm not that sensitive either so go ahead ;))

Times should be quite competitive already but going faster wouldn't bother :D

(Ride height at rear is different on each side by mistake!)

On lotus 98t increasing the preload and decel lock only seems to make me loose the control easier when coming down from high speeds... Almost like the car won't start turning before rear tires get a bit loose...

So there might be quite a lot if things I could do differently but only having so little experince it's hard to even imagine what all I should/could do differently...

Oh yeah does the camper work? :D

Last edited:
The diff part is easy to explain.

Preload controls how the diff behaves when you´re coasting (or braking/accelerating very lightly). A higher value will increase understeer, which is very useful if you have lift-off oversteer (that´s the stuff that happens when you need to stay on the power mid corner to avoid the rear spinning). A lower value will increase oversteer, which is helpful if the car used to understeer when you´re off the throttle. Try driving for a while the BAC Mono on the lowest and highest preload setting and you´ll understand perfectly what it does, in the minimum setting you´ll need to accelerate a bit all through the corner to avoid the rear sliding, with higher values you´ll be able to actually coast a bit without losing the rear.

Decel lock controls how the diff behaves when you´re braking. It will only come into play when you brake and turn at the same time, like in these evil corners at Snetterton. If you increase the value, the rear will become a bit more stable at the cost of agility. If you reduce it, you´ll be able to turn harder as you brake, but the rear might become a bit more unstable. Use it together with brake bias adjustments to control the balance INTO corners.

Bump stops are not that easy to set. They are pieces of rubber that stops springs compressing when they´re almost running out of travel. They´re used to keep the car off the ground and/or avoid hitting the end of the suspension travel very hard. You should use shorter bump stomps if you have no issues with the car bottoming down, use taller bumpstops if your current suspension setup makes the car bottom down in dangerous places.

There are many ways to go about this, some people like sticking to their favourite ride height and springs settings and use big bumpstops to help them avoid bottoming down. Others prefer raising the car a bit or using stiffer springs instead of adding big bumpstops.

Bump stops give your suspension two different stiffness levels, at first the springs compress at a certain rate depending on how you set them, and once they compress enough, the bumpstops come into play and stop the compression going further. At that moment your suspension will behave as if it was VERY stiff.

PS: Your driving is INSANE, congrats:tup:

Last edited:
PS: Your driving is INSANE, congrats:tup:

Hahahah yeah insane is the right word :D heheh naah thanks and I have to say your work on the videos is remarkable!! I mean may be that I already know how important trail braking etc. is but it's never too bad to remind oneself how important these things are when trying to race full speeds... I mean after watching your video about entering the braking zone (or was it about braking in general...) it really reminded me how important it really is to start braking as late as possible and then I remembered that I can cut off some braking distance IF I lift off a tad earlier (I miss my braking points a lot because I'm still on the throttle when starting to brake, I would actually love adjustable pedals to get bit shorter movement on the throttle, I really have to get off throttle a bit early because of this I think,... T300 stock pedals... not the best on the market lol :D ) so it really is valuable work you're doing and even tough there's few more obstacles in the way when trying to become one of the best (alien :dopey: good word for it, out of this world, literally :lol: how in the F they do it :eek: :eek: :lol: ) you're thread certainly provides a good starting point for young guys and girls out there just starting their SIM-racing career :) 👍

But yeah, keep it up and I'll get back to the actual content of your post post later :)

:cheers:

Back