Button Box with analogue rotary inputs?

• Thread starter MarkusK
  • 7 comments
Germany
~Hamburg
GTP_MarkusK
Hi folks,

if I understand correctly, the rotary encoders on most button boxes (aka the DSD ones) only trigger a digital input for both rotation directions, right?

I'm wondering why there are no button boxes or out there with potentiometers that act as an analogue input, like a pedal. Wouldn't that be super handy for all the "xxx Set" settings in iRacing, which actually accept a analogue axis? Or did I miss something?

Maybe this: http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/12-bit-controllers.html is the right circuit board for making your own button box with analogue inputs?

Thank You,
Markus

Hi Markus, I might be mis-reading you here so if I am, sorry, but I thought I'd try to respond.

I made a custom button box which I designed specifically for iRacing and because iRacing specifically allows for mapping the values Increase & Decrease and Next & Previous for things like Brake Bias, Roll Bar, Black Box Display, Volume etc... the rotary encoders work like a charm.

For instance, I have a rotary for Brake Bias. The rotary encoders have a slight click feel to them as you rotate them... and of course their rotation is endless. I can turn the knob to the right to move the Bias forward or left to move it to the rear. Same with many of the other settings I use, like Chat volume, Roll bar etc.

I guess I'm really not clear on what you are describing as "xxx Set" settings. Maybe I've missed your point or what you're trying to use a pot for?
:)
Bailey

Hi Markus, I might be mis-reading you here so if I am, sorry, but I thought I'd try to respond.

I made a custom button box which I designed specifically for iRacing and because iRacing specifically allows for mapping the values Increase & Decrease and Next & Previous for things like Brake Bias, Roll Bar, Black Box Display, Volume etc... the rotary encoders work like a charm.

For instance, I have a rotary for Brake Bias. The rotary encoders have a slight click feel to them as you rotate them... and of course their rotation is endless. I can turn the knob to the right to move the Bias forward or left to move it to the rear. Same with many of the other settings I use, like Chat volume, Roll bar etc.

I guess I'm really not clear on what you are describing as "xxx Set" settings. Maybe I've missed your point or what you're trying to use a pot for?
:)
Bailey

Hi Bailey,

ah okay, they have clicks. Thought they just trigger one event when started to rotate in one direction. That's what all the descriptions sound like, and it sounds quite useless to me. So that makes sense now.

iRacing allows you to also map an analogue input (that means a pedal or your wheel for example, something that is not just 0 or 1) to a setting, e.g. the brake bias. That's what the "Brake Bias Set" settings in the control settings are for, at least how I figured they work.

Markus

Ok, now I follow you and guess what, I never understood what that was for. lol
I asked a buddy about it because I thought it was the equivalent of an "Enter/Execute" key for applying a changed setting but as I have never needed that to apply a change I was lost to it's purpose.
Would love to read about it though. Got any links?
B

Would love to read about it though. Got any links?
B
I actually couldn't find anything useful on the internet when I was wondering what these settings are for. So I just experimented and it accepted my clutch pedal as an input for the Brake Bias Set setting, it always set the brake bias to the position of the pedal.

Wow. Now that's peaked my curiosity. I'd still be concerned that the pot could reach it's limit of travel before it reaches the value I want, but obviously, I dunno. lol
Can't see where this would be a better option than a rotary encoder, merely another option that would enable those with creative rims or other projects to fully utilize what they've created. :)

Is there something particular you have in mind? Like - are you trying to have a pot with a label which allows you to move a knob to a specific spot for a pre-determined value? Something like that?

I think it maps the inputs range to the controls minimum to maximum.

I'd say the only reason a potentiometer would be better than the rotary encoder is, like you said, you can move it to a known position (like straight up) and get the same value every time. You could also put labels for 0-10-20-.... on. Not sure how practical that is in a driving situation tho. I'm a little surprised no one ever really used that.

Markusk:

This is the exact reason I'm building potentiometers into my button box setup as well. If you are looking for a more diy approach you could do like I am. I've modified a wired Xbox 360 controller pulling out all the buttons and joysticks and wiring them to my own panel. With this setup I have 17 buttons available and 4 distinct potentiometers. The pots are easily wired to the up/down and left/right of both sticks. I might do a writeup when it's done but it is fairly straightforward.

Back