Buying a used wheel (G29)?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by 6nin36, Sep 25, 2018.

1. 6nin36

6nin36

Hey guys, a neighbor has me convinced to buy his G29 + shifter + table for $350. I only play GT Sport.

What should I look out for in a used G29? (he's also willing to let me test it out)

2. syntex123

syntex123 Premium

Hello, and welcome to :gtplanet:!

You should post this here instead, as this isn’t very GT related. :)

3. Riptide

Riptide

First thing is the price I think. A brand new one with shifter should be around $300. Not sure what the "table" is though.

4. Krypton78

Krypton78

I don't know in $ but in € you get a new one for 200 meanwhile. I think you do not really need a shifter for GTS.

Why don't you google the prices for used G29? And does it have warranty?

But in general, yes, a G29 is agood wheel. Not so good at force fedback like the Thrustmasters, but for sure higher at quality as the T150.

And according to the forums, some T300 have bugs with their inside of the plug inside the wheel

5. gapper59

gapper59

My first G29 lasted 9 months before it started pausing when I turned the wheel, it's usually a pretty dependable wheel but this one turned out to be a lemon. Overtime there is wear and tear so I would suggest a new one.

I bought another new G29 online at Amazon-(I think) for $239 with a 3-year unlimited warranty for and additional $29, total $270. I think it was the right choice

6. Donnced

Donnced

Well, that's a personal opinion... I got a T150 Pro and a friend of mine a G29, so I've tried both quite well

I prefer the T150 (pro) above the G29 ..
    With the belt added the T150 gives smoother and a little more detailed ffb than the G29.
    On the T150 you can change manually on the fly the degrees of rotation.
    T150 goes up to 1080 degrees meanwhile G29 stay at 900 degrees.

Visualy the G29 is nicer, and with símil leather.
    But I prefer better feeling, better optional Shifter and ability to change on the fly the degrees of rotation

As for the Shifter... The one of Trusthmaster is quite a huge step better than the one of the G29.

To the guy of the thread..

I really don't recommend an second hand wheel, more without warranty, you don't know how the first owner treated the wheel ....

You can find a T150 Pro or a G29 new easily between 180€ and 200€ in internet promotions and with warranty

PirovacBoy and Janifourc3 like this.
  7. kilesa4568

kilesa4568

I'd get something with a warranty for peace of mind. Black Friday isn't too far off and if memory serves me right, the G29 is often discounted. Likely other select wheels are too.

8. Krypton78

Krypton78

@Donnced

I had a T150 before. Yes, as I wrote, the force feedback is much better than at the G29 at GTS, I guess because Thrustmaster is the prefered brand by PD, they provide more detailed data to the wheel perhaps.

But what I didn't like was the low quality of the (standard) pedals, after a few month the spring of the throttle pedal broke and I exchanged the wheel by warranty with a G29. Meanwhile I use a T-GT.

Donnced likes this.
  9. Jamie Bbbbb

Jamie Bbbbb

Well, the main thing is that you don't feel like there's anything wrong with it. Just make sure the clamps work and all the buttons and pedals feel good (the pedals should be smooth (the brake is pretty stiff) and the buttons should be crisp. I got a used G29 in April and it's been perfect the whole time.

10. Sick Lenny

Sick Lenny

Price too high. You can get one new sub 300(minus the shifter, but it is lame in gt sport anyway, i have it) and a good rig for it for 100 on amazon.
    If you do go for his, check thw paddle shifters. Early models and the first one I got had issues with them not registering OR registering multiple clicks when you only do 1. I sent mine back and so far the replacement was fine.

11. Donnced

Donnced

The ffb is not only better in GTS, in other games as the Pcars games or Assetto the T150 is also better than the G29 ..
    They offer also more detailed FFB.

Yes, the standard pedals are a bit crap.. I agree with that point, that's why it's better to go for a T150 Pro.
    The wheel comes with T3PA pedals out of the box (same pedals as the T-GT )

Krypton78 likes this.
  12. 6nin36

6nin36

Thanks for all the info guys, appreciate it.

Donnced and Krypton78 like this.
  13. wtrain77

wtrain77

I once owned a G29 and it is an excellent first wheel. I also owned the shifter and I cannot say I recommend it. It feels very cheap and flimsy. I would recommend using the paddle shifters as it gives, at least to me, a better experience. It is also faster. The wheel and pedal can be had for $200 on Amazon when on sale. There is a sale right now, not on Amazon, that includes the shifter for $250.