Buying Electric.Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter MagpieRacer
  • 4 comments
  • 2,279 views

MagpieRacer

Moderator
Messages
19,458
England
Wymondham, Norfolk
Messages
Seagull_Racer
Well, I have thought about doing it for a long time, but now I have decided to push on with it and in my next months pay, I am going to purchase an electric guitar. However I dont really know much about them and the differences between expensive and cheap and so on. Im setting my budget at £200 but I would rather not have to go that high. Price should include the Guitar of course, an Amp and anything else that could be useful.

So far these are the suggestions I have had:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Elec...oryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - Advantages, price is good considering everything that comes with it. Disadvantages, perhaps at that price due to lack of quality?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Encore-KC3-el...ryZ47074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - Same reasons as the above one.

And at the higher end of my budget, Fender Starcaster: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ical+instruments>C$cip=1500011412.Guitars.htm - Advantages, been told its a great one to start with, recognised brand. Disadvantages, slightly more costly, but its a small price to pay if the quality is significantly better than the other 2.

So, what do you guys think of those suggestions above and do you have any other sub £200 suggestions?
 
I personally wouldn't buy any of the Strat copies.

If you want a Strat type guitar, go for a high end Squire Strat. Squire is owned by fender, and make some good value for money stuff.

If you go in to a local guitar/music store, they should be able to help you as to what a good one would be. Not to be of any offense to any Indonesians here, but avoid the Squires built there.

Another option is a Fender Stratocaster from either Mexico, or Japan.

The Mexicans are the more expensive of the two, but the Japanese are much better in my opinion. All depending on the model of course. (and if the Japanese ones are available where you are...)

If your music store of choice has lots of guitars, just play around with a few that you round the selection down to, and choose one that feels the nicest when you play it. Choosing an instrument is a very personal thing. It has to feel and sound right to YOU.

Final thing. Ask what type of wood is used, and where it comes from.

Here is a Fender build quality list. Descending in general build quality.

(Fender only)
USA
Japan (Depending on model, wood could be from anywhere... Check on this one.)

(Fender and Squire built here)
Mexico (Depending on model, built with either Mex or USA woods.)

(Squire only)
China
Indonesia (Check on woods with both of these)

That is all. Hope it is of some help, although I have probably just confused you more.
 
When I first started playing I picked up a full starter kit Squire Strat and Fender Frontman amp with the little extras (strap, picks, video etc) for £150. There's bound to be plenty of deals like that around, just try strike a deal with local music stores or even go to audio specialist shops that sell DJ equipment as they've been known to stock sets like this.
 
It doesnt really matter which guitar you get. Much more important is the setup. Learning how to set a guitar up and knowing how you like a guitar to be set up are the most important non-playing skills you need.

I have played a lot of cheap and expensive guitars and although they may sound and play different, I can get myself comfortable on nearly all of them with the right tools and a little time.
 
I bought the guitar 2 weeks ago, I didnt go with the squier because I got a better deal on a Yamaha and the guy in the shop said the difference between them is minimal, so I am the proud owner of a metallic blue yamaha pacifica.
 
Back