Buying new tags in Kansas

Have any of you heard about the new sales taxes law in Kansas. When you buy or get a car a you don't pay taxes on what you paid for the car you pay taxes for the top dollar blue book value of the car. I bought my car for $1900 (a 94 mx-6) and paid sales taxes for a $3600 car :eek: and this law only lasted a very short time. I happened to buy tags for my car just ONE day after the law was over turned so had to pay taxes for a $3600 car. They said sometime in the spring they will send me a check back for the money they owe me. They also take intrest out of it for holding my money!

pimp racer
Whoa that sucks but this kinda sounds like some BS any way you can prove this law existed?

I'm sure I could look it up some how it was a pretty big deal here pissed off a bunch of people. I know I paid like $270 or so just for sales tax.

Just found it HERE

I assume if the seller leaves it blank the buyer - if he's smart (and morally questionable) - writes in "$1" or something. Right? So that's why they're pissed. Their own fault - Kansas has long had some of the lowest car taxes in the nation.

You think that sucks?
I wanna get personalized plates. But as this year KS is going to a new plate I can order them in January, but I'll have to wait till my tax month comes (October) to actually get them.:irked:

Gil
You think that sucks?
I wanna get personalized plates. But as this year KS is going to a new plate I can order them in January, but I'll have to wait till my tax month comes (October) to actually get them.:irked:
WHOA so you are gonna have to wait until October of 2005 to get those plates! Man if so then that does suck! BTW We have two custom plates. and got them in like under three months.

RRRGGGGGG. Kansas sucks. flat, boring, uninspired, the chiefs suck (ok, they're actually in missouri) K- State Sucks, KU Football sucks, THe religious conservative schoolboard sucks We have to go to missouri to get cheap gas....

Gil
You think that sucks?

You know what I never got? (because it makes no sense)

In Kansas, there's a contest every seven years to determine the next license plate design. And people send in designs and there's some voting process to determine the winner. The design that comes in second is used on personalized plates. The winning design is the general issue. So basically, the people who actually pay extra for plates get the worse of the two designs!

On the current design, though, it's pretty clear that the personalized one is better-looking than the ugly general issue. That state capitol - ick!

Back