Buying used vs new cars?

• Thread starter ebadevil
  • 9 comments
United States
Atlanta, GA
EBA_Devil
So the arrival of the CTR3 in the used dealership has made me consider this topic. Typically the savings of used vs new aren't significant, but for some more expensive cars like the CTR or the Lambo that's in the UCD right now, the savings add up.

Which brings me to my question: is there any downside to buying used? Like will I need to replace the engine or something soon?

The one downside is that I gotta fork over 800k for the CTR now vs 900k whenever I actually want to buy it later on. And with credits being tight, it's a real consideration. But I'm just generally wondering what y'all think about buying used cars that can also be bought new? Upsides, downsides? What's your preference?

Last edited:
I haven't seen mileage high enough to warrant permanent damage to the cars (even that is repairable by the "new engine" and "new body" options), and they all (for me, so far) come with excellent quality oil/etc., so the only thing you're losing out on by buying used is choice of color and lack of a 0 mileage odometer.

Unless there is no chance of buying the car new, then IMHO I wouldn't buy a used car if the value difference was less than 30%+...
Yeah it's interesting, I definitely feel like the discounts aren't worth it for most cars. Like the Viper I think you're saving something along the lines of 10k or around there. I'm not gonna bother. But the CTR and the Lambo are about 200k worth of savings together, not small. I do have to grind for nearly 2 hours to buy both though.

I wonder how much you actually need to drive to warrant a replacement body or engine over a rebuild. Irl both of those would go way into the 100,000s of kilometers :scared:

replacement engines and bodies are to remove permanent modifications and engine rebuild and chassis straightening is for wear and tear, as I understand it

Unless the car is over 30% cheaper, it's not worth it for me to buy used.

And to add here that the engine + chassis you buy in the tuning menu is simply to replace all the modifications you did (which also does rebuild the engine and chassis and put it like new). When it comes the time to "fix" engines or chassis, you go to GT Auto instead, which is much cheaper and retains all the modifications you did.

Back