bzking's blog part 1: Grand Valley 300km

• Thread starter bzking23
  • 1 comments
United States
Chicago
bzking23
I got a message on my phone, it was from my crew chief, he said to report in to the garage tomorrow morning. My name is Will, i am the driver for a small racing team. I haven't had any major racing events, i would mostly run SCCA events but my crew chief was hinting at me running this very important Japanese event.

Testing day

I made it to the garage on time, when i got there, the was a white Toyota 86 gt waiting for me. It was brand new, it had a racing spoiler and other neat gadgets.
My crew cheif told me that i would be running in the grand valley 300km. I was very ecstatic, this could be my big break that i've been waiting for. The cheif said that the car would remain stock until he see's how it performs at the first 5-lap heat race. I would be given a quick test run of the car on the east circuit to see how i could control it. The test went good and i managed a lap time of 1.16.933. "The car felt great", i said. In two days i will have another test sessoin on the full track along with the first of two heat races.

Heat races

I had a 3-lap testing session on the full circuit. "go all out", my crew chief said. i could not dissapoint, i did in what i thought was a solid time of 2.14.845. The team still hasnt upgraded the car so i dont know how slower i might be than the field. the two heat races are good information and we aid the car accordingly.

race day​

Drivers
S. Pereira- NIssan Fairlady 300zx
S. van Leeuwen- Infiniti G35 coupe '06
M. Park- Nissan Silva spec-R aero(s15) '02
D. Savalas- Mazda Rx7 type Rs(FD) '98
M.Foerster- Subaru Legacy touring wagon gt-b '96
P.Molina- Nissan 300zx 2seater(z32) '98
me
K. Van der Heyden- Nissan skyline coupe 350gt '03
A. Lindholm- Toyota celica gt-four '98
Q. Wu- Toyota supra RZ '97
B. Conti- Subaru Impreza sedan wrx sti '90's
R. Santini- Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo MR '95

It is time for the race I get in my grid spot as we start the flying lap. i see the green flag wave and im off, immeadiatly i am passed by a blue infiniti right before the hairpin. i get retribution and pass him up at the end of turn 1. By the 2nd hairpin i am back into 7th when i out brake a nissan fairlady, not good for me as he doesnt see me and rams into the side of me. I keep on going and pass the soccer mom subaru legacy. I am up into 5th place when i try to beat the red rx7 on the bridge, i now notice that my car doesnt have enough acceleration. going into the esses i pass him and go into 4th place. on the front straight the red rx7 passes me again and he continues to lead me through the first few corners of lap 2.

The rx7 is getting slowed down by the 3rd place car. i take advantage of this and pass him off of turn 3. i then take 3rd by passing on the outside of the second hairpin. i pass the 2nd place Nissan silva on the bridge and continue my assault on 1st place. by the end of lap 2 i am 3 seconds down on 1st with the 3rd place silva right behind me.

The silva wastes no time and passes me, it doesnt last long as i pass him on the hairpined turn 1. going into the second hairpin i decrease the gap to 1.5 seconds. i pass the 1st place white fairlady through the first tunnel and begin my race domination. "you caught the lead", my race director said. lap 3 ends with me having a 1.3 sec lead over 2nd place and about a 2 sec lead on 3rd.

The two behind me are closing in, they may try to outbreak me on the hairpin. By the end of lap 4 i have a 5 sec lead on the three cars trailing me. "you are 7.5 seconds ahead", my crew chief says. Thanks the downforce in my rear wing, i can fly through the corners a lot faster than my opposition, as of now i am having steady lap times of 2.15. i expect 2nd place has lap times of 2.18.

"you have a new fastest lap, 2.14.664, great job", my crew chief said. This was my first lap below the 2.15 barrier. my tires are still good, i would say about 75%, but due to a bit of understeer the front tires are slightly more worn than the back.

Going to lap 20, i make a slight miscalculation on the chicane corner after the second hairpin, it is alright as i manage to keep the car under control. At the start of lap 21 i come across a slow group of five cars, i get ready to overtake them. i am 22 sec ahead of 2nd place as i complete lap 22. by lap 24 i have overtaken a blue supra. My lap times has dropped by about .5 to .75 sec due to tires. On lap 28 i overtake another lapped car, but as usual he passes me again on the front straight of lap 29, however, when i went to pass him before the hairpin he almost lost control of his car and was close to colliding with me. "are you alright, did he hit you", my crew chief asked. i replied saying he didn't.

By the halfway point,, i have overtaken another car and i have a comfortable lead of 40 sec. i notice that i will surely have to pit between laps 35-40 as my tires are at 50-40% and my gas hand is at 50% as well.i do not want to risk driving a oversteering car so that will more than likely be time of when i pit. On lap 33 i pass one of the top 5 leaders, he is apparently struggling as i noticed he begins to slide on corners.

"ok, we think it is time to pit, pit next lap, racing mediums, a couple gallons", my crew chief tells me. I have just begun lap 39 and will make it out lap 40, hopefully still in 1st position. after a short pit stop i made it out with a 26 sec lead still with 21 laps to go. with new and softer tires i began to improve on my lap times. "you have a new course record of 2.12.010, keep up the good work", my crew chief said. i felt the victory coming soon as i continued to increase my lead as only 15 laps remained. 10 laps to go and i have lapped the entire field except for 2nd place who is a 7 sec ahead of my position. on lap 54 i pass 2nd place rx7 and have officially overtaken the entire field.

5 laps to go and my heart is pounding. am i actually going to win this? my crew chief is telling me to pace myself and not to overdo it. After a while i heard my crew chief say: "this is your last lap". i was very nervous, i did not want to screw up, all i had to do was drive and i would get the victory. Then, i crossed the finish line, i was so ecstatic i could not believe it.

finishing positions
me
D. Savalas
B. Conti
M. Park
S. Pereira
K. Van der Heyden
P. Molina
Q. Wu
R. Santini
M. Foerster
A. Lindholm
S. Van Leeuwen

After the podium celebration my crew chief announced we had been chosen to go to the laguna seca 200 mile race, and that we needed to find a car to use. Until next time, im Will, peace.

Last edited:
Back