C1 Loop Line

United States
Wasilla, AK
Yes, as a matter of fact I have probably played way too much Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3.

Untitled-1.jpg

Green line is the C1, light blue is the existing Tokyo track in GT. Either direction is acceptable to me. Credit for the image goes to GTP user "twitcher" AFAIK.

The Yokohama loop seen in TXR3 would be cool (and a lot faster) but unless a couple new onramps have been added between Daikoku and Yokohane lines, there's no way to actually make it a loop.

That's a lot different from asking for another track.

In any case, if they're going to do that, they'd better add some surface streets too, because there are a lot of "dead ends" (i.e. expressway line endpoints with no connection to other expressway lines) in the Tokyo-Kanagawa expressway network, and it gets even worse if you add Saitama, which is on the same expressway network. And at that point, you're becoming very vulnerable to the slippery slope - "as long as we're adding Tokyo, and Kanagawa Prefecture, and possibly Saitama Prefecture (both of which are at least as big as Tokyo itself, if not bigger) surface streets for free roam, why not go all the way out ot Okutama, since that's sort of part of Tokyo. There are some great roads up there (if Google Maps is to be believed). Hey, there's another excellent road right over the border in the next prefecture, Yamanishi (again, if Google Maps is to be beleived), so why don't we add some of that... hey, wait a second, how much of that? Where do we even draw the line here?" And by then you're well past the point where non-Japanese players will accuse Kaz of trying to model all of Japan while leaving their own country/state out in the cold.

Last edited:
And by then you're well past the point where non-Japanese players will accuse Kaz of trying to model all of Japan while leaving their own country/state out in the cold.
Hey, I wouldn't complain if Gran Turismo gave me free roam of all of Japan, I would be a very happy boy. :D
I've been playing a lot of the original Tokyo Highway Challenge (TXR) on the Dreamcast, I can definitely see why something like this would be awesome.

Edit: And now I find out that TXR3 wasn't released oustside of Japan and US... :(

Last edited:
Actually, now that I think about it, I'd probably be happy if Kaz started modeling his own country to the expense of others too. Because, at least according to Google Maps, Japan is covered end to end in the kind of roads I go driving around for hours to find.

Guess you got your wishes GT Sport has Tokyo Expressway
Yeah nah, the setting is close but it's not the 14km loop we're looking for, but hey, if they keep adding more variants... GT7 could be very interesting. Good necrobump, though.

I thought that the Special Stage, Clubman Stage, and Tokyo Expressway courses all take inspiration from various Japanese highways already. (Sans SS Route X, being set in the USA.) Between these and the actual layouts of these highways, I think the big thing that I'd prioritize, in any track design based around Japanese highways, would be to have a good track width. Those other three locales can feel quite narrow, although I do love both layouts of Tokyo Expressway South. But it feels like the other locales (including Tokyo Expressway East & Central) limit themselves to ideally accommodating lower classes of cars - though I think that can still be fine. With this in mind, I think all these designs could still stay in the series, but get slight redesigns much like an actual circuit does, such as potentially adding more run-off areas, or removing some of the barriers to widen the track. (EDIT: Now that I see you've mentioned R246, I think that's one course that could also use some more of those sorts of modifications.)

For all tracks in general, I would especially add a "suggested option" listing for each track layout, and it'd include metrics like the preferred maximum amount of cars, and the strongest class (and/or Gr.X cars) that'd be ideal to use on the course. It wouldn't prevent you from doing something outside those metrics if you wanted (e.g. Gr.1 @ Tsukuba), but it'd be more of a guide. I consider this not unlike how you can get a tourism book on the best restaurants in a town, but nothing will stop you from just going to the local McDonald's if you truly want to.

EDIT: We also should consider that it would appear that many of the Special Stage courses may have a potential to be merged (or otherwise recombined) into a broader complex, including Route 7 from the PS3-era games. I recall that there were some exit ramp signs indicating directions to other layouts, as well as off-circuit sections of at least one Special Stage course being available to be driven on, via hacking.

Last edited:
Back