Cake - Stick Shifts and Safety BeltsMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 20 comments
  • 1,270 views
Messages
10,687
United States
Everywhere
Cake - Stick Shifts and Safety Belts

Stick shifts and safety belts
Bucket seats have all got to go
When I'm driving in my car
It makes my baby seem so far

I need you here with me
Not way over in a bucket seat
I need you to be here with me
not way over in a bucket seat

But when we driving in my Malibu
It's easy to get right next to you
I say "Baby, scoot over please"
And then she's right there next to me

I need you here with me
Not way over in a bucket seat
I need you to be here with me
Not way over in a bucket seat

Well alot of good cars are Japanese
But when we're driving far
I need my baby, I need my baby next to me

Ah..well

Stick shifts and safety belts
Bucket seats have all got to go
When I'm driving in my car
It makes my baby seem so far

I need you here with me
Not way over in a bucket seat
I need you to be here with me
Not way over in a bucket seat​
 
It's a good song! Great for singing along to. You should buy the album (or at least download the song).
 
LoudMusic
(or at least download the song).

Prediction: daan will be here within ten minutes.

Baffled? I was berated by the bloke for mentioning that I happen to download music on this forum...
 
I don't think it's a good thing, but I'm guilty of it myself.
 
Have you heard No Phone by Cake? Good song as well. 👍
 
That song is from the Fashion Nugget album, right? "Stick Shift" is one of the best songs from that album, but there is also a cover of "I Will Survive", and song called "Distance". Those three songs are classics, rest of the album's good too.
 
Whoever wrote the lyrics to that song clearly isn't a true gearhead :p

But I doubt I'll give the song a listen, unless it's different from their other stuff. I've never liked the band's sound that much.
 
Ev0
Whoever wrote the lyrics to that song clearly isn't a true gearhead :p

But I doubt I'll give the song a listen, unless it's different from their other stuff. I've never liked the band's sound that much.

I guess they are kind of love it or hate it type music to some. To those who never heard Cake, they are funky mix of Jazz, Country, Rock with nice bass and horns. Their songs are not always serious(as you can tell from the lyrics), but highly unique, kind of like "They Might Be Giants".
 
LoudMusic
I don't think it's a good thing, but I'm guilty of it myself.
It's also against the AUP:
You will not use these forums to violate any laws nor to discuss illegal activities.
 
While it's an OK song, I see "Satan is my Motor" as one of their finest "automotive" songs :-)


I’ve got wheels of polished steel
I’ve got tires that grab the road
I’ve got seats that selflessly hold my friends
And a trunk that can carry the heaviest of loads

I’ve got a mind that can steer me to your house
And a heart that can bring you red flowers
My intentions are good and earnest and true
But under my hood is internal combustion
Satan is my motor
Hear my motor purr
Satan is my motor
Hear my motor purr
Satan is the only one who seems to understand
Satan is my motor

I’ve got brakes
I’m wide awake
I can stop this car at any time
At the very last second I can change directions
Turn completely around if I feel so inclined

I’ve got a mind that can steer me to your house
And a heart that can bring you red flowers
My intentions are good and earnest and true
But under my hood is internal combustion

Satan is my motor
Hear my motor purr
Satan is my motor
Hear my motor purr
Satan is the only one who seems to understand
Satan is my motor
Satan is the only one who seems to understand
​
 
I like "she'll come back to me" from that album best. Awesomely pathetic.
 
GTJugend
I like "she'll come back to me" from that album best. Awesomely pathetic.
But that's not really in the "automotive" spirit ;)
 
Flerbizky
But that's not really in the "automotive" spirit ;)

So, that's what you want..

Hard to please you are, my friend. :)
 
GTJugend
So, that's what you want..

Hard to please you are, my friend. :)

Blame me not, - Started it was, by LM....
 
On the mind, some people Star Wars have. ;)

I'll have to listen to some more Cake. I like what I've heard. 👍
 
Jimmy Enslashay
It's also against the AUP:

He didn't say he was downloading it illegally. Napster is just one example of a legal music download service.



-Mark
 
That's called file sharing. Downloading is a whole different thing.
 
Jimmy Enslashay
That's called file sharing. Downloading is a whole different thing.

It's not really a whole different thing. You're still downloading music. You're just downloading it from another person or persons. Besides, nobody says "I file-shared this awesome song yesterday."

They say "I downloaded this awesome song yesterday."


-Mark
 
Yes, but that's a general term, thrown around loosely. Essentially it's a whole different thing, but I see what you're saying. Anyway, I don't think an argument here about it is a good thing. If you wish to argue some more, PM me, but I think we've reached an understanding. :lol:

Anyway, back to Cake...speaking of which, I'm hungry.
 
Back