Camaro RM and Challenger RM questions.

  • Thread starter Thread starter unit-one
  • 9 comments
  • 1,017 views
Messages
4,100
Estonia
Tallinn
san_galgano_abbey_1_by_unitoone-d5jra41.jpg


I have some questions about these two. ^

1) What kind of race cars are they?

2)Why do they have such short gears? Camaro's box is set to 210km/h and Challenger's is set at 180km/h. (What is the correct top speed?)

Please help. :3
 
I think they're meant to be PD's interpretation of vintage Trans-Am cars.

The top speed can be whatever you like, they are racing cars after all. Set them up in whatever way is best for the track you'll be using them at. 👍
 
Thank you for answering.

It's interesting why PD chose to set the gearboxes like this. I'm sure the race cars were faster than this.
By the way, what was the top speed of those Trans-Am Challengers and Camaros?
 
1) The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) races classic Camaros, Mustangs and other muscle cars. May be the same category or classification as Trans-Am, I don't know the exact details.

2) Back in the '60s-70s, factory speedometers on most American cars went up to 100-130mph (161-210kph). It is easy to re-gear the final drive for a different top speed, but the speedometer showed the same numbers. There is no "correct" top speed since you could bury the speedometer with some bolt-on power adders (supercharger, header/exhaust, etc).

Those are my educated guesstimations.
 
The gearing for the RM cars is the same as the default full racing tranny gearing for the regular versions, which basically makes the default gearing the same as the sport transmission for both of the road versions. They don't sync up with anything in particular, and indeed the real life Trans Am models would have had separate gearing for separate tracks (since back then Trans Am raced everywhere from Riverside to Lime Rock Park).


Based on how much the cars revved in real life, though, I'd say gearing for 170 MPH would probably be the most they'd have for any of the tracks. You have to keep in mind that the Z/28 has the right engine, but the race car made a lot more power in the top end (and even the road car is very conservative in its power rating in GT5 in that regard); whereas the Challenger doesn't have anywhere near the proper powertrain to be representative of the real life Trans Am race model and as a result really can't be made to drive like it.
 
Looks like 274km/h is a realistic speed for them.

Hmm... this reminds me.

I already had these cars once. They were listed as regular models (no RM letters). And their gearboxes were set at 270km/h.

But after the patch. (The one before the latest one) I noticed that when I bought another RM car, the name was fixed. I deleted all other RM cars and bought them again.


Thank you for all the answers!
 
Yes. That was something that was fixed a couple patches ago, but it doesn't apply retroactively if you already had the cars in your garage. All of my RMs are pre-patch, so they are just called the normal name without "RM" in the garage.


It was fixed a bit after PD closed the exploit that allowed you to RM a car without installing the racing exhaust, which also was not applied retroactively (so if you were able to take advantage of it when it was available, your cars will still have the stock exhaust and sound like the stock car even after the patch rather than whatever horrible racing exhaust sound PD put together).
 
I still have a couple left without the RM letters. (The Chrome Camaro SS and The Matte Black Lancer, both tuned to the max)

And I still have that NSX with stock exhaust you sent me. :3
 
Back