Camber and Toe in Plain Language - want to improve steering

  • Thread starter Thread starter S J B
  • 4 comments
  • 2,607 views
Messages
10
Hey Dudes,

I want to make my car turn better - ie: I want to take corners faster with a 62 Buick Special.

How should I set my Camber and Toe to improve the steering.

Your wise and experienced guidance is most appreciated 👍

SJB
 
There's no magic formula to fix a car's steering problems, every car is different. As a rule of thumb though, you want some negative camber, I usually start at -1.0.

Toe varies depending on if the car is oversteering or understeering.

Drop the ride height as much as you feel you can for the track you're on as well, a lower center of gravity helps everything.
 
for front camber I usually start at -2.0, and -1.0 for the rear. hasn't played much with toe settings, but feels like toe in is always better than toe out, car is more responsive when turning. Maybe losing some actual grip at some of the high speed corners
 
for front camber I usually start at -2.0, and -1.0 for the rear. hasn't played much with toe settings, but feels like toe in is always better than toe out, car is more responsive when turning. Maybe losing some actual grip at some of the high speed corners

toe-in also creates more under steer for the car, while toe out creates over-steer
camber creates more grip on turns, but decreases grip on straights
 
The camber shoul be relative to the weight on your fron wheels when turning.. a heavy car with a front engine needs more camber than a MR car but with the same weight.. A heavy car as your pick shoult have about -3 + if you ask me. Sorry for some poor english...
 
Back