Campaign needs more books , therefore races.

• Thread starter tothesz
  • 52 comments
We really need to be well into the 100s of Menu Books for this to feel like a proper numbered GT.

I don’t even think 50 or 59 is going to be anywhere close to cutting it.

PD’s future strategy for growing the game is going to go a long way towards making or breaking their reputation among fans.
If the menu books remain tied to beginner level, catch the rabbit events where you only have to finish 3rd in one race I don't think many people are going to want too many more.

Instead they should just add another section dedicated to proper racing, with prize cars at the end for winning all races or the championship. I'd still have preferred they craft a proper racing career but even that old format is better than the menu format in its current state.

Last edited:
I have zero data to back this next claim up, but I would bet my paycheck that the vast majority of people who are playing this game, are nowhere near 100% completion yet.
You can see this in the trophy data. 10.7% have got to the end credits (completing the menus).

If the menu books remain tied to beginner level, catch the rabbit events where you only have to finish 3rd in one race I don't think many people are going to want too many more.

Instead they should just add another section dedicated to proper racing, with prize cars at the end for winning all races or the championship. I'd still have preferred they craft a proper racing career but even that old format is better than the menu format in its current state.

Yeah, I’d go with that. I guess PD can still change how the Menu Books work. Seeing “Finish 1st” on any new books in the future would be most welcome!

While I like the idea of the Cafe & it's menu books, I don't like how they are the primary system of progression. If they were retained as a secondary objective beside GT League events, where if you had completed any of the menu books you could return to the Cafe for rewards & to learn about the cars you have, that would be nice.

But if PD's plan is to expand the game with more boring menu books where each time you just have to finish 3rd in only 3 separate catch the rabbit races, that would be disappointing. I like this game, truly. But some of PD's decision making is unfathomable. Surely this cannot be the best they can do?

There are more races after the cafe is beaten and they are the best races by far in the game.
The WTC 800 races that pay out 75,000? (or currently 5,000(?) for Monza and LM)
Does anything unlock after that? At the moment it seems there's just the short 39-book campaign and then Fisherman's Ranch to buy cars until an update adds more to do.
I will say, the 20 minute Bathurst race mission was pretty fun, but I expected a GT League significantly larger than Sport's at launch, and we've got around one third as many events so far (GTS: 301 races, GT7 114ish?)

The WTC 800 races that pay out 75,000? (or currently 5,000(?) for Monza and LM)
Does anything unlock after that? At the moment it seems there's just the short 39-book campaign and then Fisherman's Ranch to buy cars until an update adds more to do.
I will say, the 20 minute Bathurst race mission was pretty fun, but I expected a GT League significantly larger than Sport's at launch, and we've got around one third as many events so far (GTS: 301 races, GT7 114ish?)
Yes the WTC 800 and Gr3 races among others. Did you beat them? They are terrific.

Last edited:
The full event list is here

There are just 8 events not part of the menu books.

So the game didn’t end with the ending credits? I think it very much did.

PD could still include post-release content if they had released a finished game. There are no valid excuses for the unfinished campaign.
Yeah, it did roll the credits. However, you're left with this message after the credits (second pic, btw).

PD knew exactly what they were doing with this.

See @Imari, I told you I’d be right 😜
Smells like desperation to me. I think it's a little sad how gleeful you are that you think a bunch of people are gonna have support dropped early for a game they bought, but some people are just like that I guess.
Trust me when I say that Sony and PD are businesses first, only accountable in the end to share holders. Companies like them…. Hire other companies to run the metrics to see what the cost vs returns of decisions like this will be. Clearly the numbers are in their favor to pursue this business model. Wether we like it or not
The numbers on the calculations they did are, yeah. Those don't necessarily match the real world if purchasers choose not to put up with their BS. I'm sure someone did the calculations for Anthem too.

It's a shame though. While all developers are out there to make money, it's not assumed that they'll all put short term profit over long term player satisfaction in the way that Polyphony seem to have chosen to do. Some see value in goodwill and player retention, and some simply see value in the brand being perceived as excelling from a design or technical standpoint.

Polyphony certainly see value in GT7 being a graphical showpiece, they didn't need to spend as much time and money making it look as pretty as it does.

Lighten up buddy, I’m just messing with you… hence the winky-face-emoji-thingee.

I think everyone is on the same team here when we all would like more content and true cross play. I’m hopeful that at least FIA will be true cross play. A bigger, and thus more competitive player base is a good thing. Although I did see the loading times being a problem for cross play from a practical standpoint, even before release.

Last edited:
Lighten up buddy, I’m just messing with you… hence the winky-face-emoji-thingee.

I think everyone is on the same team here when we all would like more content and true cross play. I’m hopeful that at least FIA will be true cross play. A bigger, and thus more competitive player base is a good thing. Although I did see the loading times being a problem for cross play from a practical standpoint, even before release.
Honestly, you were so vehement about it before that you can put as many emojis as you like and I still don't really believe that you're joking. You may mean it that way, but when someone puts as much effort into doubling down on their position as you did there's nothing you can really say afterwards that doesn't seem like the lead in to a gotcha.

Emojis don't change the message, and you've been pretty consistent in the opinion that the sooner PS4 players are cut off from support the better. I still think that's gross, no matter how many smilies you wanna put after it.

For the few of you here that said that there was content that was deliberately held back, or that there were pre–programmed books that didn't appear in the final game... any chance you can share your references? I'd like to see them for myself. Thanks!

For the few of you here that said that there was content that was deliberately held back, or that there were pre–programmed books that didn't appear in the final game... any chance you can share your references? I'd like to see them for myself. Thanks!
The only truly definitive proof is from a Jimmy Fallon video where he played GT7, and the video showed races on Daytona that don't currently exist in-game. A hyper car event and a Gr.1 event.

Honestly, you were so vehement about it before that you can put as many emojis as you like and I still don't really believe that you're joking. You may mean it that way, but when someone puts as much effort into doubling down on their position as you did there's nothing you can really say afterwards that doesn't seem like the lead in to a gotcha.

Emojis don't change the message, and you've been pretty consistent in the opinion that the sooner PS4 players are cut off from support the better. I still think that's gross, no matter how many smilies you wanna put after it.

Meh, I’ve never once said it would be a good thing to cut off PS4 players asap. Rather, I have consistently made estimations based on observations and general knowledge of how businesses work. Trust me, it’s not much effort for me to double down on anything. It’s a matter of a few thumb strokes, actually.

And fwiw, no one loves being the butt-end of jokes more than me. One of the qualities I most admire about anyone is a sense of humor, and by extension… a persons ability to give and take shot’s. It’s all in good fun, seriously 👍🏼

I’ve seen it referenced by the streamers who have inside knowledge of the game. In their streams and discords. 50 menu book items is the consistent number ive heard. “59” is a number I had not heard of.

Last edited:
Meh, I’ve never once said it would be a good thing to cut off PS4 players asap.
Not in those words specifically, but you've certainly said it would be ridiculous to support them any longer than they have to. Seems like a different way of saying the same thing to me - either way you're ending support at the earliest available opportunity.
Where I will differ from you though…is I think it’s absolutely ridiculous to support old hardware any longer than they absolutely have to. Sooner or later they have to move on bot the consumer, Sony, and PD alike. And it’ll probably happen when cross platform games start cannibalizing console sales…because the supply caught up to the demand. That makes financial sense. And financial sense is what these companies base all their decisions on. Not some “rose-colored-good-will-brand loyalty” crap of yesteryear. That business model went out the window decades ago. Right around when social media took off…and it was accelerated in 2009 when iPhones came out. That’s when you can trace back countless cultural shifts….MAINLY CONSUMER habits and all the associated advertising, ad targeting, profile-building, analytics, blah, blah, blah that goes with it. Companies are accountable to their stock holders and NO ONE ELSE. Nothing else matters. The only way we, the consumer matters is wether we buy the game or not.
This is you, right?
And fwiw, no one loves being the butt-end of jokes more than me. One of the qualities I most admire about anyone is a sense of humor, and by extension… a persons ability to give and take shot’s. It’s all in good fun, seriously 👍🏼
Good for you. I don't think "giving and taking shots" is a particularly pleasant way of showing admiration or really that funny, personally. I have no use for people who expect me to take their casual abuse and expect me to do the same to them. There are obviously many people who enjoy this method of relating to others. But I decided a long time ago that it made me uncomfortable and even though it's damn near a societal expectation in masculine western culture I simply don't have to play that game if I don't want to. No kink shaming, I'm just not into it.

If you say stuff that I think is offensive, I do not have to pretend that it doesn't make me uncomfortable just so that you can feel like you made a funny.

It doesn't matter how much and what kind of event they'd add. You'd be racing against dumbass AI in chase of rabbit format. PD is a lowkey failure in developing games. Not to mention all the events also have no variation other than the car participating and number of laps.

They won't fix anything but only making everything worse, that one is guaranteed. Don't trust the update plans it'd be lie because PD can't accomplish even most basic of the tasks.

Last edited:
Back