Campus Cup 2005

  • Thread starter Thread starter GeGuy
  • 18 comments
  • 1,203 views
Messages
22
Who participated in this Cup?
It's a 2 lap race at Laguna Seca in arcade mode where they record your fastest lap. Almost everyone used the 2003 WoodOne Toyota Supra.
Well, that was from what I saw at Concordia.

2005 Tour Date and Time

University of Western Ontario
Centre Spot
November 21
11:00am to 6:00pm

McMaster University
Quarters
November 22
2:00pm to 7:00pm

University of Guelph
University Centre Courtyard
November 23
11:00am to 6:00pm

Queens University
JDUC, Main Level
November 25
11:00am to 6:00pm

University of Waterloo
Great Hall – Student Life Centre
November 28
11:00am to 6:00pm

Wilfred Laurier
The Hub
November 28
11:00am to 6:00pm

Ryerson University
Student Campus Centre (SCC)
November 29
11:00am to 6:00pm

York University
Student Centre
November 29
11:00am to 6:00pm

McGill University
Gert’s Pub
December 1
11:00am to 6:00pm

Concordia University
Main Hall – Mezzanine
December 1
11:00am to 6:00pm

Carlton University
Commons Grill
December 2
11:00am to 6:00pm

University of Ottawa
Agora –Jock Turcot Building
December 2
11:00am to 6:00pm

I got 3rd place from Concordia University.
I met T13R there. He won 1st place at Concordia.
So who else got 1st so that we can see who goes to the Inter-Univiersity Championship.
 
I wanted to make a thread about this... was trying to think where would be the most suitable place to post. So I went to the GT4 forum and I see it's already been made hehe. I'm also curious to know if anyone else from GTPlanet may have been present at one of these events or even won them. It was cool to be able to meet you GeGuy, always nice to put faces to names :)

It's an inter-university tournament between 12 universities of Ontario and Quebec, and as the thread title indicates, it's called Campus Cup 2005.
 
WHAT?!!!! oh god damnit, i missed my turn. Where can i get the list of winners btw?
 
Sniper596, which university are you in?

I made a few runs an hour ago:
-Lister Storm V12 - Man that car is heavy...
-Takata Dome NSX - It turns out that the NSX is 1170kg. Heavier than the Motul Z and WoodOne Supra.
-WoodOne - Man, this car is quick. Was able to run in the 1:20
-Motul Z - Little bit lighter and little bit less powerful, this car runs 1:19.

So, I conclude that the WoodOne and the Motul Z are the best choices avaliable. But it really depends on ones driving style. To me, the Z was more my style than the Supra. Hence, I could've gotten 2nd if it wasn't for that little mistake that locked my my rear wheel and bleh.....

Good job T13R 👍
I wonder who you'll be racing against.
Wonder if he's on GTPlanet.net
 
hey guys, I took 4 shots at it at Concordia...my time was first for a good part of the afternoon but I knew it would never hold because I never played any of the Gran Turismo games with a steering wheel and I wasn't adapting fast enough.
I pulled off a 1:21.82 in the woodone supra.
The leader had a 1:20.5flat when i left 15min before the end.

I gave it a shot when i got home and i hit 1:19.1 on my first lap with a dualshock2.
I just shut off the ps2 then.

It was really cool to see this kind of event take place and I hope there are more to come!
 
I attend University of Waterloo. Still bugs me that I missed it. Were they using steering wheels or regular ds 2's? if it wasn't a steering wheel, I would have lost. I have no experience on the ds 2.
 
hrm, it's too bad the event didn't include Manitoban universities as well. My roomate and I at the UofM defintiely woulda been up for something like this. We do a lot of 2-player lan races in our dorm suite when neither of us are busy with studying or lady-ing.

very cool idea
👍 Easterners
 
So that makes three GTP members who have won ;)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73278

I did the YorkU one on Tuesday. A lot of people were running the Pitwork Z or a GT-R, but I had been practicing at home in the WoodOne, since I found it to have a better p/w ratio than the Z. It seems people started using it more often after my first run ;). Though it's down on torque, I found it faster on Laguna. Anyways, got to campus around 2:30, and running on a weekend crash course with me new DFP, I put in a 1:19.1 my first attempt. Second one was hardly faster (1:18.9), third I was well on my way to a low 1:17 when I went off very badly on the turn after the corkscrew (ended with a 1:19.9), then my last attempt was a 1:18.2. Still a ways off of my fastest I managed at home, but I wanted to drive a bit safer there, with limited tries.

It was really cool to meet people from school who enjoy the game. Other than about an hour, I was there from 2:30 to 6:00, and I only met one other guy who had DFP experience. 2nd place was a 1:20.0, but when he came up 20min before the end and mentioned "DFPro", "The Green Hell" and "fully modified 787B" all in one sentence, I was worried. Unfortunately (for him ;)), his experience with Laguna wasn't as good as his Nurb knowledge, and the Supra wasn't what he was expecting to have to use. He still posted a pretty darn good time though, a 1:22 or high 1:21.

Fastest of the universites so far (unless it's been lowered since Tuesday) was a 1:17.8. IIRC, it was done in the Z... with an auto transmission.

Any news on when/where the finals will be held? It'll be like a mini GTP meeting if this continues ;).
 
animal
hey guys, I took 4 shots at it at Concordia...my time was first for a good part of the afternoon but I knew it would never hold because I never played any of the Gran Turismo games with a steering wheel and I wasn't adapting fast enough.
I pulled off a 1:21.82 in the woodone supra.
The leader had a 1:20.5flat when i left 15min before the end.

I gave it a shot when i got home and i hit 1:19.1 on my first lap with a dualshock2.
I just shut off the ps2 then.

It was really cool to see this kind of event take place and I hope there are more to come!
I dropped the 1'20.5 to a 1'20.338 towards the end, but like you I have no experience with a wheel. I've always used the ds2. You should stop by in the Weekly Race Series forum sometime along with GeGuy, it's amazing what some people in there can do. Wanna know something freaky? T13R stands for Tier, which is german for animal. Notice a similarity? heh

Hey SlipZtrEm did you know before hand what the combo was going to be? Also the guy, or one of the guys in charge, was saying that the best time was in the 1'16s. But personally, I hate Laguna Seca. I was also told that the finals would be in Toronto around January and that we should get phone calls early January for it.

Edit: Nevermind, read the first post in your link. Would have been nice to know the combo before hand. Went for some laps just for fun with ds2, dropped my fastest lap T3 by 3 seconds on first lap (messed up right after), and after 5 laps I was down to 1'16.3 (always Woodone, and abiding by WRS rules)
 
Yep, I happened upon that other thread, but figured they might've been doing different setups for each school. A friend from Waterloo informed me on Monday that no, it was the exact same setup each school. So I knew it was a 2-lap setup against AI on Laguna with only the cars from the beginning of the game available, but I practiced with tire wear.

My 1:16's were unofficial, but with a DFP. I bought it a week ago, but my DS2 time was a 1:16.8. I love Laguna, only because it was my default "testing" track until the 'Ring showed up in GT4 :).

I'm wondering what the finals will be like. They probably won't announce it until then (or maybe the phone calls), but what bothers me about it is that, according to the site, it's a one-shot deal, head-to-head with the other finalists. I'm really hoping nobody decides to drive dirty and ram people off on the first turn. Also, the four fastest finalists of the 12 skip the first round of the finals, so I'm hoping my official 1:18.262 is fast enough to help me with that.

T13R, I knew you'd be faster than me with a DS2, judging by past Board Challenges 👍
 
SlipZtrEm
Also, the four fastest finalists of the 12 skip the first round of the finals, so I'm hoping my official 1:18.262 is fast enough to help me with that.

T13R, I knew you'd be faster than me with a DS2, judging by past Board Challenges 👍
This tournament will consist of a qualifying round to rank the twelve (12) winners of the Participating University First Prizes followed by head-to-head races between the contestants in a single-elimination format (with the fastest four drivers from the qualifying round being granted a bye in the first round of head-to-head competition) until only one driver remains.
I don't think our current times count for the ranking. It seems like there will be a qualification first, and then on to the head-to-head races, with the fastest 4 qualification time being granted a bye in the first round. Like you I hope everyone will be respectful on track. It would suck to be bumped off, like for example leading into the first corner of Laguna Seca, being hard on the brakes and the person slipstreaming behind you bumps you off into the sand.

Also don't forget one thing, that was GT3 and DS2... This is GT4 and DFPro, so unless I manage to get some practice somehow on a DFPro, I don't think I'll stand a chance.
 
My friend in UWaterloo competed and he won it i think...can't wait to see the finals
 
Man, I just tested again and damn am I off with the DFP compared to the dualshock.
Ran constant high 1m17s with the WoodOne Supra.
Ran constant low 1m17s with the Motul Z

Maybe I'm just used to lighter cars. The Z also has more torque.
 
Hey Tier!
So your the guy i shook hands with when I left?!?!?
Thats so f-ed up!
I gave it another shot in the Motul Z and i hit 16.668 in my third lap of a time trial.
I was to scared to waste one of my four tries with another car because all the fast guys seem to agree that the woodone is the car to take.
I think i will join the weekly races now that you have brought my attention to it.
 
The perfect place to hold such a competition would be Grand Valley State University. :D I wonder if you can see the campus from the first turn hairpin?

http://www.gvsu.edu/
 
animal
Hey Tier!
So your the guy i shook hands with when I left?!?!?
Thats so f-ed up!
I gave it another shot in the Motul Z and i hit 16.668 in my third lap of a time trial.
I was to scared to waste one of my four tries with another car because all the fast guys seem to agree that the woodone is the car to take.
I think i will join the weekly races now that you have brought my attention to it.
Yep, I'm the one you shook hands with. I hope I didn't seem like *what the f is this guy shaking my hand for*, it was totally unexpected and I sorta blanked. I'm sorry about that, I'm like that sometimes :ouch: It was really nice of you. It's also cool to know you're interested in joining the Weekly Race series. Get that qualifier run in and you're set to go 👍 Very nice on the 1'16.668 👍

While I was waiting my turn in line for the comp, I saw people looking through the list for cars and I noticed the Woodone. With ~500 hp and ~500 lb.ft of torque, and it being JGTC, I thought that would be the car to beat. After I took the car for the first run, everyone else started taking it. It was kind of funny. With only four tries I didn't want to change cars. I was almost tempted to run the Lister Storm, but I had my doubts about its handling. But it's interesting to look at GeGuy's testing. The Z actually seems faster than the Woodone. I think I read in the other thread that the fastest time was by an automatic Z.

I've been thinking for some time of trying to get people together for a GT4 LAN. Never was able to find many people from Montreal. Would be cool to find some more people and actually set one of these up.
 
T13R
Yep, I'm the one you shook hands with. I hope I didn't seem like *what the f is this guy shaking my hand for*, it was totally unexpected and I sorta blanked. I'm sorry about that, I'm like that sometimes :ouch: It was really nice of you. It's also cool to know you're interested in joining the Weekly Race series. Get that qualifier run in and you're set to go 👍 Very nice on the 1'16.668 👍

While I was waiting my turn in line for the comp, I saw people looking through the list for cars and I noticed the Woodone. With ~500 hp and ~500 lb.ft of torque, and it being JGTC, I thought that would be the car to beat. After I took the car for the first run, everyone else started taking it. It was kind of funny. With only four tries I didn't want to change cars. I was almost tempted to run the Lister Storm, but I had my doubts about its handling. But it's interesting to look at GeGuy's testing. The Z actually seems faster than the Woodone. I think I read in the other thread that the fastest time was by an automatic Z.

I've been thinking for some time of trying to get people together for a GT4 LAN. Never was able to find many people from Montreal. Would be cool to find some more people and actually set one of these up.

Haha thats great!
ya i saw you take a good look at the lister. I took a look at the Z and the Tom's Supra which posted much higher torque numbers than the Woodone but I didnt have the guts to do take them.

I have also always wanted to get good GT4 players together and have some actual decent races as I only have one freind who is as good as I am. I will definitly be up for any kind of meet up. Doesn't matter if its 3 or 15 people just as long as its after my finals :scared:
 
Too bad I already graduated. If I'd known, I'd have signed up for Con Ed, and tried to make my alma matter (Ryerson) proud!! :)

Good luck to all of you headed to the finals 👍
 
Well, id just to say i had a KILLER time at campus cup. Its me Ron, from Western. Got to meet fellow GT4 players, had a couple of drinks, and all around good time.
CONGRATS TO SlipZtrEm FOR WINNING IT! Good stuff man. I STILL dont understand how u pulled of that 1:16!
DAMMIT! I just realised i left that poster Noah gave me at his house! CRAP!
 
Back