Can anyone confirm?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SkreeMcgee
  • 16 comments
  • 2,080 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
11
Messages
Dufus8
Just saw this, has anyone else heard anything like it?

[qoute]
I know that the clutch was disabled for the Indy Time Trial. When I asked Kaz's Interpreter about the functionality of the G27 in GT5 last Wednesday at the GT Awards Party, I was told " The G27 will not be Fully Supported, but the DFGT will". Now what exactly that means is not clear to me. The Paddles did work on the Indy TT as well as the shift lights, for whatever that is worth. I would not be surprised if the clutch was not supported on the G27, but I do not know.

When talking with the highest levels of Polyphony Digital, they did indeed confirm that the fault for the G27 not being fully supported lies with Logitech. Logitech failed to code certain things with the G27 firmware that PD required, so it will only be partially supported. I too have a brand new G27, so I am in the same exact postion as every other G27 owner. I am a huge Logitech fan, but PD said that there were issues that gave the G27 an unfair advantage, whatever that refers to. I am just relaying info that I got from Kaz's interpreter. That's the most accurate and believeable info for me.

All I know about the Firmware issues are directly from the highest levels of Polyphony Digital. When I was asking them at the GT Awards Show about the G27, Taka told me:

" When we tested the G27, it had some functionality in the shifting process that gave it an unfair advantage over other peripherals. You were able to shift the G27 without losing any speed/ power. We repeated worked with Logitech to remedy this, but Logitech refused to alter their Firmware to our standards. Therefore the G27 will not be fully supported in G27"

I too, do not fully understand exactly what this means. I am just giving you the exact words, from Kaz's interpreter. That is the highest level of PD , as far as I am concerned. You cannot get any more direct info than this, in my opinion.

It is unclear to me if the paddle shifters will work or not. I certainly hope so, as I bought a new G27, and have been waiting to use it, like many others. I am hoping that the lack of full support is just having to do with the clutch function.
[/qoute]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24399741&postcount=3560
 
Just saw this, has anyone else heard anything like it?

[qoute]
I know that the clutch was disabled for the Indy Time Trial. When I asked Kaz's Interpreter about the functionality of the G27 in GT5 last Wednesday at the GT Awards Party, I was told " The G27 will not be Fully Supported, but the DFGT will". Now what exactly that means is not clear to me. The Paddles did work on the Indy TT as well as the shift lights, for whatever that is worth. I would not be surprised if the clutch was not supported on the G27, but I do not know.

When talking with the highest levels of Polyphony Digital, they did indeed confirm that the fault for the G27 not being fully supported lies with Logitech. Logitech failed to code certain things with the G27 firmware that PD required, so it will only be partially supported. I too have a brand new G27, so I am in the same exact postion as every other G27 owner. I am a huge Logitech fan, but PD said that there were issues that gave the G27 an unfair advantage, whatever that refers to. I am just relaying info that I got from Kaz's interpreter. That's the most accurate and believeable info for me.

All I know about the Firmware issues are directly from the highest levels of Polyphony Digital. When I was asking them at the GT Awards Show about the G27, Taka told me:

" When we tested the G27, it had some functionality in the shifting process that gave it an unfair advantage over other peripherals. You were able to shift the G27 without losing any speed/ power. We repeated worked with Logitech to remedy this, but Logitech refused to alter their Firmware to our standards. Therefore the G27 will not be fully supported in G27"

I too, do not fully understand exactly what this means. I am just giving you the exact words, from Kaz's interpreter. That is the highest level of PD , as far as I am concerned. You cannot get any more direct info than this, in my opinion.

It is unclear to me if the paddle shifters will work or not. I certainly hope so, as I bought a new G27, and have been waiting to use it, like many others. I am hoping that the lack of full support is just having to do with the clutch function.
[/qoute]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24399741&postcount=3560

Thanks for your update on this issue. Cross our fingers and hope that they will change their mind to make it fully supported 1 fine day.
 
Interesting!

So, it's basically a firmware issue rather than a hardware issue?

I guess the problem (from Logitech's point of view) is that the firmware will be global to all PS3 games rather than just GT5...
 
This is a pretty old quote. I think I saw it in January.

Because of the issues with the G27, I contacted Logitech. They wouldn't explain the problem, but did offer to refund my money.

I kept the G27 anyway. We also have a DFGT that my wife uses. If there's an advantage to the G27, I can't see it. Both shift the same, and pretty much drive the same. The G27 force feedback is different, and quieter.

Sometimes the G27 stick shift hangs in neutral, so I typically use the paddles. And, the buttons can't be mapped, but I've gotten used to it.
 
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Its a bit of a shame that instead of getting ontop of the issue it seems like Logitech and PD are just saying the other needs to make the first move in fixing it.
 
Here's the strange thing; they claim they won't fully support it because of some shifting issue. But all the shifting stuff works fine, the only thing not supported is being able to map the buttons. So basically PD supports the functions of the wheel that they claim to be a problem, but don't support the functions that have no effect on shifting or driving. It really makes no sense.
 
here's the strange thing; they claim they won't fully support it because of some shifting issue. But all the shifting stuff works fine, the only thing not supported is being able to map the buttons. So basically pd supports the functions of the wheel that they claim to be a problem, but don't support the functions that have no effect on shifting or driving. It really makes no sense.

+1
 
Here's the thing:
Logitech G27 users had noticeably faster lap times than other wheel users.
This was due to firmware issue in G27 - problems with the clutch which gave the G27 same ammount of acceleration during shifting as in red-line. PD said to Logitech to update their firmware to PD's demands, which Logitech refused. And due to that PD said that they won't fully support the G27.
Basically , the G27 has a "fault" which makes you faster. Fully supported G27 would be like cheating.
That's from what I've heard...
 
I just want to map my button I don't care about the clutch anymore.
 
I just want to map my button I don't care about the clutch anymore.

What more do you need?
You have high/low beam toggle and you have rear view. Why do people need horn? Seriously.
 
Yev
What more do you need?
You have high/low beam toggle and you have rear view. Why do people need horn? Seriously.

What I really want is a handbrake button on the wheel as it becomes a real pain (for me at least) having to hit the right button on the Shifter module every time I want to handbrake.
 
PD may not fully support the G27 but they also had no problem crippling it.

If you use the clutch and H-pattern shifter it's clearly, noticeably slower in shifting compared to using the paddle shifters. We're talking as much as 1, even 2 seconds per lap on longer tracks like La Sarthe. If you shift with the paddles, shifts are crisp, clear, instantaneous. No matter how fast you are, and which car you use, shifting with the H-pattern is MUCH slower. This was by design. Furthermore, it's very easy to 'miss' a shift, especially if you shift at the rev limiter or if the the rear end brakes traction while shifting. So one of the key selling points and features of the G27, it's clutch and H-pattern shifter has been effectively negated for any serious competition. If you use the clutch, you're at a considerable disadvantage.

The G27 with the H-pattern by itself is NOT any faster, but as we saw with Prologue, there was a way to physically modify the G25 to allow people to shift gears without letting up on gas and THAT's what gave people an advantage and THAT's what PD was trying to avoid and that's why PD wanted the firmware updated--to prevent people from performing this same or a similar mod on the G27. Admittedly, it would have turned competitions such as GT Academy into a cheat fest. But considering we still have no true leaderboards to speak of, a more elegant solution would be to simply eliminate the H-pattern specifically for these competitions, which they easily could have. I'm convinced this whole thing was corporate posturing by both companies and PD simply threw their weight behind the T500RS instead.

Aside from not being able to map the buttons on the G27, another way it's not supported is that changing the force feedback level seems to have no affect. If it's at 1 or at 10 it feels exactly the same.

So in this sense, it's not fully supported. But as a wheel, it still functions and aside from what I mentioned, it works quite well with the game.
 
PD may not fully support the G27 but they also had no problem crippling it.

If you use the clutch and H-pattern shifter it's clearly, noticeably slower in shifting compared to using the paddle shifters. We're talking as much as 1, even 2 seconds per lap on longer tracks like La Sarthe. If you shift with the paddles, shifts are crisp, clear, instantaneous.

Just a quick question about that. I was under the impression that gear changes could be speed up if you were to use the h-shifter in a car that had an h-shifter but if the car had paddle shifts there was no point using the h-shifter.

Thats what I understood from reading another topic on the forum at least.
 
jjaisli
PD may not fully support the G27 but they also had no problem crippling it.

If you use the clutch and H-pattern shifter it's clearly, noticeably slower in shifting compared to using the paddle shifters. We're talking as much as 1, even 2 seconds per lap on longer tracks like La Sarthe. If you shift with the paddles, shifts are crisp, clear, instantaneous. No matter how fast you are, and which car you use, shifting with the H-pattern is MUCH slower. This was by design. Furthermore, it's very easy to 'miss' a shift, especially if you shift at the rev limiter or if the the rear end brakes traction while shifting. So one of the key selling points and features of the G27, it's clutch and H-pattern shifter has been effectively negated for any serious competition. If you use the clutch, you're at a considerable disadvantage.

The G27 with the H-pattern by itself is NOT any faster, but as we saw with Prologue, there was a way to physically modify the G25 to allow people to shift gears without letting up on gas and THAT's what gave people an advantage and THAT's what PD was trying to avoid and that's why PD wanted the firmware updated--to prevent people from performing this same or a similar mod on the G27. Admittedly, it would have turned competitions such as GT Academy into a cheat fest. But considering we still have no true leaderboards to speak of, a more elegant solution would be to simply eliminate the H-pattern specifically for these competitions, which they easily could have. I'm convinced this whole thing was corporate posturing by both companies and PD simply threw their weight behind the T500RS instead.

Aside from not being able to map the buttons on the G27, another way it's not supported is that changing the force feedback level seems to have no affect. If it's at 1 or at 10 it feels exactly the same.

So in this sense, it's not fully supported. But as a wheel, it still functions and aside from what I mentioned, it works quite well with the game.

Um, I think yours might be broken. There is a very noticeable difference as you go ffb 1 to 10.
 
@ SkreeMcgee: No, that's not correct; there's no difference what-so-ever. If you're using a G27 with GT5, gear changes are always quicker when using the paddle shifters, no matter how quickly you shift with the H-pattern, and regardless of what car you use. And this was by design in GT5. It wasn't this way in Prologue.

If I'm driving a car in the game that using some sort of sequential gearbox in real life, I'm inclined to use the paddle shifters anyway. But if I'm driving, say, the 1965 Alfa TZ2 or the Shelby Cobra, being able to use the clutch and gear shifter is a boon and allows a much greater level of enjoyment and immersion. But if I'm taking part is an online race, I HAVE to resort to the paddle shifters or I'd be putting myself at a tremendous disadvantage.


Um, I think yours might be broken. There is a very noticeable difference as you go ffb 1 to 10.
I'll try it again. But I highly doubt it's 'broken'. It works fine with other games. I've had it set on 10 practically since day one and it's one of my biggest gripes. The FFB is far too weak, even at 10. The only clear exceptions are off-road (rally), which ironically should NOT have stronger resistance and the ridiculous X2010. No matter what you set the level, the game makes up it's own mind how much resistance to put through the wheel, depending on the car you've selected. If you compare it with games like Supercar Challenge or Ferrari Challenge, or even Grid, the G27 is capable of much stronger levels of resistance. Many people who have a T500RS for example, have had to dial their feedback level down to 2~3.
 
Last edited:
I have a G27 and everything works (Clutch, Paddles, Shifter-Knob etc.)
 
Sorry it took so long for us to notice this thread, but this has been discussed to death elsewhere.

"Did PD Intentionally Nerf the G27"
Which is a highly entertaining thread to say the least... and where all this information has been available for some time.

Locked. You can continue discussion in that thread. I'm sorry, the discussion is good, but this is a duplication.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back