Can basic reliable transportation hold it's value?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 40 comments
  • 1,836 views
any car that is mistreated is bound to be a nightmare twenty years down the road.
any old car should be bought on condition and maintenance.

i would buy a 200,000 mile mercedes or toyota that was mostly driven on freeways (commuter cars) and regularly serviced, with records, anyday. especilly if said merceds was a diesel.

that said, there will always be some issues with a 20yr old car.
 
if you mean newer (post 1985) diesel mercs, you are absolutely right. most people who buy em tend to hold on to em.

but older ones are availble. especially here in southern california.
 
Chevelle SS
As much as I like BMW's, you have to know what you're getting into with them.

My first 'real' car was a 1986 325 eta automatic. It was a hand-me-down car that I drove through college until it had near 140k on it. By the time I'd sold it, most of the front end was completely replaced, including struts, hubs, control arms, steering rack, pump and that was just the parts ahead of the firewall and doesn't include the parts bolted to the engine! NOTHING electrical worked right on that car. I should have taken up a cocaine habit, it would have been cheaper.

Like a appeasing a demanding, fickle mistress, I poured more money into that car than it was worth. So, you might say I am kneenly aware of the strengths and weakness in BMW ownership, and quite honestly, would not wish a high-milage E30 upon my worst enemy.


M
 
I've often thought of having an E30 as my first car, it's different from all the Civics and Corollas, looks good, and they're cheap in my area. They seem like the perfect alternative. Until you hit the reliability issue. Many of the E30's in my area are high mileage and used as daily divers by people who could care less about the car. If you want a low maintenence car, don't get a BMW. My teacher has a problem-free, low mileage E30 in excellent condition, and he loves it. But, as M-Spec said, an E30 can become a huge moneypit, especially in the electrical section. Then there's the mechanic issue, finding one is a problem, and once you do, they're expensive compared to mechanics of other more common cars.
 
neanderthal
any car that is mistreated is bound to be a nightmare twenty years down the road.
any old car should be bought on condition and maintenance.


that said, there will always be some issues with a 20yr old car.

needs to be said again.
 
neanderthal
needs to be said again.
I guess what I meant to say that a mistreated e30 will be more of a problem than the average 20 year old car, if that makes any sense.
 
Maybe if you can find a Ford Focus with the Ztec engine? The engine doesn't really matter much, just a tad more powerful, and a broader rev range..:) It's low maintenance, one of Fords most reliable cars, decent space I suppose, but for $6,000..I don't know; rarely find them for that much in Indiana, yet California?

Nevertheless, reliability sometimes depends on how the car was treated and cared for. I recommend you check out the car: fluid levels and conditions, body, test drive obviously. Maintenance receipts are necessary for high mileage vehicles in my opinion; records might be ok, but sadly they can be made up. Look stuff up online, or go find a book at a library if you are unsure of how to check a car; taking the car to a respective mechanical shop is a good idea also. If the persons yard and house are a mess, then they probably are also lazy to maintain there car.

There is a reason my daily driver 1992 Cavalier 4-cylinder has ran over 250,000 miles on the original motor with only a head gasket leak two years ago...maintenance: Synthetic oil changes every 3months, and every 1month now (since it leaks a tad, and burns it up). Transmission service, easy driving until the car warms up (10 - 15minutes), and more; besides, there is a red light ahead, why floor it? Plan luck also I suppose... :sly:
 
M5Power
I've driven at least five automatic 240SXs. I will never drive another 240SX unless someone's life depends on it. Like if there's a kidney inside and it must be driven to a hospital. You know, that happens all the time. Point being, it's not a bad drive, it's depressing. Or maybe I'm expecting too much.


Have you driven an SR20DET powered one? Because I'm not kidding when I say it's a BLAST!
 
A 1986 Corolla Coupe. lol. Well i think a 1992- 1996 Accord Ex would do nice. or any 95 honda. Its light weight and i think its got some ok gas mileage.
 
Yes, an AT Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe made around 1986, white&black would not be so bad after all......130hp and 1.6l economy, plus that InitialD aura :)
 
Back