Can I connect 2 steering wheels to a PS3?

• Thread starter Embelle
  • 17 comments
Australia
Australia
hello!
I'm having trouble getting a definitive answer about this. I have a cockpit setup with a thrustmaster wheel on a PS3. We've stuck with a PS3 because it also has Sega rally and ridge racer for the kids (much easier for them to handle than a proper sim). Will o have any trouble if I plug two wheels into one console?
Thanks in advance!

I guess you want to do that for 2 player split screen? If so, I can't say as I've never tried it. I do have several wheels for PS3 so could test it & get back to you if you like?

Also, turn on all driver assists in GT5, & slap on some RS tyres; I'm sure the kids could handle it then.

👍

That would be fantastic if you could! I'd really appreciate it. I'm just concerned about them possibly not having enough power from the PS3 but the wheels have their own power supply so maybe I'm being overly cautious.

This is our little setup. I was hoping to grab another wheel and cockpit so the kids can race each other split screen and not argue over who's turn it is. It's argued over something shocking every day and I'm losing my mind :banghead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:
I presume it would work, as long as the game supports it. What game/s would you want to do it in?

I only have GT games for PS3, I'll test them sometime today & get back to you asap.

Nice set up by the way!

:)

If it works on gt I'd be happy. There's always attempting to get ridge racer to work as well. Daytona won't go split screen which is a shame because it's such an easy one for them. Thanks :cheers:

If it works on gt I'd be happy. There's always attempting to get ridge racer to work as well. Daytona won't go split screen which is a shame because it's such an easy one for them. Thanks :cheers:

I tested it just now with my Fanatec CSR & Logitech G29 (both set to PS3 mode) in GT5, & I can happily confirm that it worked a treat!

One down side was that I wasn't able to use the controller/DS3 as well as both wheels.

So, it works on PS3 with GT5, dunno about any other games though...

:)

Last edited:
I just got a reply from an official Logitech seller saying no! I'll wait for Logitech themselves to give me their answer. For such a simple question I wouldn't have expected this to be complicated. Bizarre!

I just got a reply from an official Logitech seller saying no! I'll wait for Logitech themselves to give me their answer. For such a simple question I wouldn't have expected this to be complicated. Bizarre!

Did you ask them if they'd tested it out for themselves? If they haven't, then they're probably talking out of their backside! Or maybe they said that to cover their ass if you bought a wheel from them & it 'wasn't fit for purpose'. Just to reiterate; my Fanatec CSR & Logitech G29 both worked in 2 player mode in GT5 on my PS3. That said, I can't confirm whether any other combinations of wheels from different manufacturers would work, as I only tested my two.

EDIT: If you're really that concerned, you could buy a dirt cheap second hand wheel & test it out for yourself. If it works then you could buy a new wheel, to see if that works as well, before spending even more money on a second cockpit.

👍

Last edited:
Yeah I'll do that. I'm not 100% happy with the thrustmaster so i don't particularly mind buying a Logitech to replace it anyway, even if they don't want to work together. Something with the ps buttons would save me some angst at the button guessing that happens every time a new kid gets on to try it out and gets confused. :banghead:

What model of Thrustmaster wheel do you have exactly? I can't tell from the picture as I'm not that familiar with those wheels.

Yep it's the t300!
This is the Thrustmaster response. I haven't heard from Logitech yet.

"We thank you for your choice of Thrustmaster products and for reaching us regarding your inquiry.

This possibility is not a feature of the wheel. In order to play a split screen game, the game should be able to read two USB wheels connected at the same time. We recommend to contact the game developer and see if the game has this possibility.

We rest at your disposal for any other inquiries."

Yep it's the t300!

I dunno if you've used one before but the Logitech G29 is very notchy compared to the T300. It's just not as smooth; T300 is belt drive whereas the G29 uses helical gearing. I suppose it might be OK for the kids, if they're not too fussy, but you might find it less than ideal. The G29 is also weaker, the T300 is stronger in the FFB it can deliver.

I might use the thrustmaster somewhere else just for me and grab two logitechs for the kids. Logitech have replied with some positive news.

"Regarding the inquiry, yes you can use two G29 in a PS3 for 2 players games."

I might use the thrustmaster somewhere else just for me and grab two logitech's for the kids.
Something with the ps buttons would save me some angst at the button guessing that happens every time a new kid gets on to try it out and gets confused.

As far as I know, the only Logitech wheels that have PS buttons on them are the Driving Force Pro, Driving Force GT, Driving Force Wireless, & Driving Force G29 (neither the G25 or G27 have PS buttons). However, the only one that can be bought new anymore is the G29.

Yep it's the t300!
This is the Thrustmaster response. I haven't heard from Logitech yet.

"We thank you for your choice of Thrustmaster products and for reaching us regarding your inquiry.

This possibility is not a feature of the wheel. In order to play a split screen game, the game should be able to read two USB wheels connected at the same time. We recommend to contact the game developer and see if the game has this possibility.

We rest at your disposal for any other inquiries."

I think I can offer some suggestions for a ps4 and 2 thrustmaster wheels.
First the game must support split screen and 2 or more players.
2nd racing games support only one wheel with force feed back. Your 2nd wheel must be a wheel without FFB.
3RD, In order to use a 2nd wheel for player 2 you must make the game think it is a controller. To do that on a T 80, plug it in to a usb port. Turn on your system.
Press the ps button on the wheel. Note the led. If constant, you must change it to flashing.
Press and hold the ps button while unplugging from usb port. Release the ps butt.
Re plug into usb port. Led should now be flashing. This means it thinks its a controller.
The wheel and pedals for player 2 will now work independantly from player 1 wheel.
Enjoy.

I think I can offer some suggestions for a ps4 and 2 thrustmaster wheels.
First the game must support split screen and 2 or more players.
2nd racing games support only one wheel with force feed back. Your 2nd wheel must be a wheel without FFB.
3RD, In order to use a 2nd wheel for player 2 you must make the game think it is a controller. To do that on a T 80, plug it in to a usb port. Turn on your system.
Press the ps button on the wheel. Note the led. If constant, you must change it to flashing.
Press and hold the ps button while unplugging from usb port. Release the ps butt.
Re plug into usb port. Led should now be flashing. This means it thinks its a controller.
The wheel and pedals for player 2 will now work independantly from player 1 wheel.
Enjoy.

Latest Posts

Back