Can I do online play with a Japanese PS3 and an American game?

• Thread starter flyingkiwi
  • 14 comments
Hi guys,

Now that I have 100% completion on GT4, I am ready to purchase a PS3 console in Japan and then order Gran Turismo 5 from the States (my Japanese is okay, but I want to make this as easy for me as possible).

My question, as stated in the thread, is can I play online games with y'all if I have a Japanese PS3 but an American game?

I have heard that online racing is region-locked or that DLC (what does this mean??) is locked. But what does it all mean?

Can someone please give me a quick summary of what I can or can't do?

Cheers.

It doesn't matter where your PS3 is from, but make sure you create a US PSN (SEN?) account, because if your PSN account isn't the same region as the disk, you won't be able to buy DLC. :)

Just to clearer, if your account and disc are not the same region, you can buy but cannot access the dlc you bought. The account you buy dlc on must have the same region disc. Once that is done, all other region accounts on the same ps3 can install the dlc. In short, you are better off setting up an US account if you buy your disc there. You can use your Japanese account to play but do not use it to buy dlc unless you have region 3 disc.

Yes. Everything works including online play etc. The only thing to worry about is the dlc. You will have to make an American account to match with your disc to get dlc to work.

Dlc is downloadable content from the ps store.
You can create accounts for free on your ps3. Just create a new profile and sign in, add necessary info.

Most of the people have already stated it, but yes, you can play GT5 online with anyone else using your aforementioned Japanese PS3 and North American copy of GT5.

Before playing online, you need to make a Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account using your new PS3 (registration is free). During the registration process, you will be asked to state where you live. It is important to know this because:

If you choose Japan, you will be directed to the Japanese registration process for a Japanese SEN account.

If you choose a North American location (US, Canada, etc.) you will make a North American SEN account.

Downloadable Content (DLC) from the SEN is compatible only with games from its region. If you buy the NA version of GT5, you will need to purchase/download content from the NA SEN.

If you have two addresses (one in Japan, one in North America), then set up two users on your PS3, one for each SEN account.

In most cases, DLC is usable by anyone on that particular PS3 console, but only the account owner can download and install them. But note that each SEN account has its own Trophy List and Friends List.

In my case, I am primarily on my JP account only and hardly ever use my NA account, but this is because my copy of GT5 is Japanese.

Finally, if you decide to set your PS3's system language to Japanese, the XL edition of GT5 will run in Japanese and show its vehicle metrics in PS and kgfm. I do not know if the original GT5 discs do this.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you!

By the way, do I need to fill out a ligitimate American billing address? I don't have one, since I'm from New Zealand.

I just want to make sure I can race some of you guys online.

Sony requires you to have a valid, legitimate address. Many multi-account holders who are not expatriates use addresses of relatives, friends, etc.

Some people use addresses of lesser-known 7-Elevens or other convenience stores, but you still bear the risk of losing your account if it is discovered that the address is not yours (i.e. too many other like-minded people used the same "out of the way" 7-Eleven). Having said that, the address is only needed in case of account fraud/hacking and if they need to verify your identity. If you can protect your account, you'll be okay.

I would like to add something however:

If your goal is simply to play GT5 online (with anyone around the world), then you can register for a New Zealand SEN account, and buy a Kiwi copy of GT5. As for GT5 DLC, You also get the benefit of dealing in NZ$ with no foreign exchange involved. Unless you really want the Spec 2.0 discs (as of this point, Japan/North America only), staying local on both your account and discs is the easiest option. All prior players simply downloaded Spec 2.0 for free thru the game update process, even though it takes a while.

Of course, this is assuming that you are in New Zealand, but from the sound of it are you currently in Japan?

If you already ordered it and passed the point of cancellation, then unfortunately, you will have to register for a North American SEN account in order to use any DLC for it.

Just... find some normal-looking place in Canada (go Commonwealth!) and use that as your address!:D Again it is only really used in the case your account is hacked and you need to prove your identity.

A North American SEN account isn't a bad thing if you can get one. I've read many blogs and forums of Aussies and Kiwis who say that they always get the American editions of games (and their respective DLCs) for the special pre-order bonuses and because they are still somehow cheaper than local Australasian products even after shipping.

Problem sorted. I've now got a North American account. Entered an address of publisher of one of the books in my house!

Now all I need to do is wait for the game to arrive. Play asia are still waiting for the XL edition to be in stock, so it might be a while.

Maybe I should just cancel that order and go with the original game and just download the updates. But I really like the new feature of being able to save an endurance mid-race. Can you download that feature from the Network?

You can use the original discs and download all the updates (includes Spec 2.0, and the ability to save during endurance races whenever you pit).

But, since you are in Japan just get either the XL Edition or the Japanese Spec 2.0 package, as they include redemption codes for some of the earlier DLCs for free (1 circuit, 2 kart tracks, plus others).

If you can order from Amazon Japan, you could consider buying GT5 XL Edition from there instead. Near the upper right side of the site is an English-language option if you need it (but only the main parts of the site and the checkout process will turn into English). Standard shipping within Japan is free (usually 2 days), and no hassle with imports or customs.

I want the English language version, or could you change that on the disk?

You couldn't change it on GT4.

EDIT: Ahh, I see. My Japanese is sufficient to let me know that it says the imported, American version. Cheers, man. I might order from there, rather than wait for Play asia.

The American XL Edition*, as well as either Japanese version (original and Spec II) support both English and Japanese, based entirely on your PS3's system language setting.

*I don't know if the original American supports Japanese.

If you want you can easily get the Japanese Spec II, with the caveat that you need a Japanese SEN account for the DLC (but for you that is easily done).

Back