Can I play on UK server instead of USPS4 

United States
United States
Hello All:

I'm not sure if this is even a valid question...I play in the US and am wondering if the online experience is region based...I only see 20 games at any given time when I browse online games...I'm wondering if this includes europe, or just the US. If it is only US, is there anyway to play on UK servers instead? If it is a matter of switching somnething on my PS4, could someone kindly tell me how? Thank you very much for your help.

I don;t know how the PS4 does it. Steam version seems to be region based.
I checked it a bit yesterday and by default I was set to Charlotte NC and could see 6 lobbies. I changed it to Philly and could see 7 lobbies all different from the 6 I saw before. I then switched to London and saw 56 lobbies.

Hello All:

I'm not sure if this is even a valid question...I play in the US and am wondering if the online experience is region based...I only see 20 games at any given time when I browse online games...I'm wondering if this includes europe, or just the US. If it is only US, is there anyway to play on UK servers instead? If it is a matter of switching somnething on my PS4, could someone kindly tell me how? Thank you very much for your help.
Most (in fact all, as far as I'm aware) console games do not operate a client-server model. They operate a peer-to-peer model.

That means that there are no game servers (matchmaking ones, sure, but not game ones), because your console is both the client and the server - as is everyone else's. This means that your console connects directly to those of the other people in your lobby via the quickest route down the internet, rather than having all of you connect to a server farm. This also means that you're more likely to see people geographically close to you - because the quickest route is the shortest.

If you were somehow able to switch to the UK, you'd instantly introduce transatlantic lag to everyone you race with. Go to http://www.pingtest.net/ and compare your ping to your local server to that of one in the UK to see the magnitude of that lag... For me to the US east coast it's 0.1s...

Most (in fact all, as far as I'm aware) console games do not operate a client-server model. They operate a peer-to-peer model.

That means that there are no game servers (matchmaking ones, sure, but not game ones), because your console is both the client and the server - as is everyone else's. This means that your console connects directly to those of the other people in your lobby via the quickest route down the internet, rather than having all of you connect to a server farm. This also means that you're more likely to see people geographically close to you - because the quickest route is the shortest.

If you were somehow able to switch to the UK, you'd instantly introduce transatlantic lag to everyone you race with. Go to http://www.pingtest.net/ and compare your ping to your local server to that of one in the UK to see the magnitude of that lag... For me to the US east coast it's 0.1s...
Not sure this is accurate.

Not sure this is accurate.

Which part, the dedicated servers or the transatlantic lag?

If you're referring to the dedicated servers it's pretty accurate. COD Advanced Warefare was suppose to have dedicated servers but it turned out to only be matchmaking servers. I haven't seen a game (my horizons aren't that broad :lol:) that runs off of dedicated servers, only for matchmaking and the likes.

I have no problem racing with people in the UK on Forza and very little issues in GT5 and 6. One of my racing buddies on GT is in the UK and I have a few on Forza that are in the UK.

Even when I only had a 1MB connection it was fine so long as nothing else was hogging bandwidth. There would occasionally be issues when one or more people in the lobby on Forza, sometimes it was even the AI cars that seemed to be lagging rather than the players.

I know GT is peer to peer but I was under the impression that Forza is not as it has never seemed to make a difference as to who the host was.

edit; I should say that seemed to be the case with Forza 2. I am not sure about 3 and upwards as the user created public lobbies are almost non existant after Forza 2. On 2 I played with people from all over the world without many issues. There was one guy in Spain that must have had some issues as every time he would come into a lobby he would lag really really bad. I assume he must have had a poor connection as that was an exception rather than the norm.

Last edited:
e.g. Battlefield, Counter-Strike, Titanfall use dedicated servers, afaik.

If you select "fixed room ownership" in GT5/6 the room owner should be the server.
FM5 may use dedicated servers in the "cloud", I'm not sure.

Back