Can Racing Games Make You Better in Real Life?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by VBR, Apr 22, 2019.

?

Can racing games make you better in real life?

1. Yes, they can make you faster.

60.0%
  2. No, they can't make you faster.

15.0%
  3. Yes, they're good for learning tracks.

80.0%
  4. No, they're bad for learning tracks.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes, they're good for learning racecraft.

35.0%
  6. No, they're bad for learning racecraft.

5.0%
  7. Other, let me explain...

5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VBR

VBR Premium

A very well made short documentary about sim racing, & how certain aspects may apply to real life driving/racing. I really like how there are diverse people giving their differing opinions on the matter, & found it a great watch from beginning to end.

:tup:

2. kikie

kikie Premium

Without watching the youtube clip first:

• Yes it can make you faster if you don't have real life experience and you are willing to learn how to race.
    • Yes you can learn tracks (true laser scanned tracks like in iRacing), braking points, ideal line etc ... .
    • Yes you can learn to control high powered cars better, if the physics engine, tire model etc ... is super realistic.
    • No it can't make you faster in real life if you already have real life experience.

3. jflomario

jflomario Premium

You have more pre-emptive and fine control in real life. (stick sensitivity)

It's easier to be consistent in games. (less fatigue)

Brake fade is not really simulated in most games.

Track knowledge and confidence is what video games provide drivers with and do so well.

kembro likes this.
  4. kembro

kembro

Seems like most professional drivers are using them to keep in tune, learn tracks. I feel it helps with hand/eye/feet coordination and sensing where limits are url. As @jflomario said, better pre-emtive skills and fine control.
    I went charging through a bush track for a detour in our Fiesta Zetec after striking roadworks a few days ago, not advocating it though. I was amazed how comfy I felt, even though I've driven on gravel swiftly for over 30 years. I felt my sense of front end grip was better in the fwd, I'm putting that down to DR2, PC2 and SLRE. Simulators should be compulsory for driver training just like flying planes. To experience and practice the skills required in those 1% situations where, what you do next could determine if your family survives. Over reacting, hesitation and fear normally end in disaster. Get off the brake and back on the throttle is not a normal reaction but often required.

5. MXH

MXH Premium

Many years of lapping the Nürbürgring in various racing games certainly helped me as far as track knowledge goes when I drove on the track last year.

That previous virtual experience helped me with the braking points, racing lines and what to possibly expect if you're driving a 1.7 ton RWD car when it's on the limit. What the games never thaught me however was the g-forces that one experiences, especially during rapid elevation changes as well during cornering. Those two laps on the 'Ring felt like a roller coaster ride - a damn good one, I might add.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Dairyworker, Scaff, Wolfe and 2 others like this.
  6. PletdeKoe

PletdeKoe

It can make you also better in playing racing car games.....

7. Saidur_Ali

Saidur_Ali

All three yeses are pretty much fact...

Gr4ndy likes this.
  8. FT-1

FT-1 Premium

One of the options automatically make another true; if you learn an (accurately-modeled) track through a video game, surely you can judge the breaking points more accurately in real life, thus making you faster?

I'm not convinced games are good for learning racecraft though, experiencing G-forces in real driving creates a whole new learning curve compared to your average gaming setup which usually involves being stationary behind a screen.

jflomario likes this.
  9. GTV0819

GTV0819

The way you drive does not only depend on skills. It also depends on your habits, too.

10. PocketZeven

PocketZeven

Depends which games ofcourse. I dont think your driving improves by playing burnout, GTA or NFS.

That said. I have driven the nurburgring nordschleife a few years back and my experience with it in games helped me a lot. I wasnt driving a competitive lap, but it helped me greatly.