Can use some advice with cornering

United States
United States
I was at driver rating D sr S for a while, just last night going up to C. I've been working hard at the daily race B at Red Bull Ring. As I'm getting faster, one problem I've been encountering more is that when I take a corner well and the person or people in front of me don't, I've been having a hard time avoiding people who almost seem stopped on the apex, or braking a second time in the corner. This has led to me taking emergency action, leading to increased collisions both by me and to me. SR went down to A today. Some things completely not my fault, some things my fault, others not my fault, but could be avoided better by me.
Any advice on learning this skill better? Or a referral to a good video, perhaps?
Thanks for the help! Excited to have finally gotten to C, hoping to keep improving.

It’s hard to say without seeing video of your driving. Record some laps and incidents so we can get a better understanding of where you need work.

My first assumption, and could be wrong, is that you are entering the corner like you would if you were driving alone. This tends to be a problem for most drivers as they don’t realize you need to be far more cautious with traffic.

Also remember that everyone’s skill level are different and some use a different line. If they qualified ahead of you, it might be best to follow them for a lap to see what their line/style is and then attack on the preceding laps when you are more aware of what they will do in a corner. You might find that being slower at apex might be the superior line for some corners. Sometimes you need to sacrifice corner entry or mid corner speed to ensure a faster exit speed and ultimately faster lap time.

Best advice I can give, be extra cautious on lap 1 and plan your attack. Lap 1 you need to be on high alert and expecting idiotic moves, keep your nose clean and then attack on the next lap once the field spreads out. You don’t want to attack too much when the grid is bunched up on lap 1, you’ll slow yourself down and open yourself up for attack from drivers right behind you.

It sounds like you're more worried about your own line than the cars around you when it should be the other way around. Basically, a lack of awareness.

Avoiding collisions should always be your first priority, especially in the lower ranks where car control, skill and race craft (or all 3) could be lacking.

I was at driver rating D sr S for a while, just last night going up to C. I've been working hard at the daily race B at Red Bull Ring. As I'm getting faster, one problem I've been encountering more is that when I take a corner well and the person or people in front of me don't, I've been having a hard time avoiding people who almost seem stopped on the apex, or braking a second time in the corner.
Trying to drive behind someone who is much slower than you is a nightmare, because they will randomly be much slower in certain places but not others, and there's no way to know in advance which bit of the track they'll be bad at. When you watch a top player on YouTube doing a "start from last" race, it's not uncommon to see them hit someone from behind and shout "Why did they brake THERE?!!". The good news is that if you are consistently experiencing this, you are probably good enough to qualify on pole or thereabouts, and drive away from them all. Then your DR will increase, until you find yourself racing people who don't do what you're describing.

Thanks for all of the replies. Last night I really put my head down and tried to predict people's lines, and I'll continue to do so. Though I feel like I was worse at It than usual. It.was a tough night still, hoping to get back into S but had some setbacks. Looking back on my stats, I guess I can't complain because both my driver rating and SR are better than before, being 1 SR away from S.

Maybe it’s me or my controller but I find sometimes I hit deadzones where it just stops turning on the analogue stick with no more reaction like the Bluetooth has partially disconnected for a few ms.
I've been getting that a little too, but it hasn't been at a crucial turning moment, so I've been lucky

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my DR history, over 1000+ races:

Untitled.png

Around the time I started really taking the game seriously and playing it regularly (probably somewhere around the 100 days mark) I had a great race in Gr.4 cars at Interlagos. I was in a GT-R and fighting with a guy in a Megane Trophy. I spent the 4 or 5 laps going back and forth with him, eventually getting past him on the last corner to take the win.

I watched that replay back fairly recently and was appalled by two things. How slow I was and how much contact there was throughout the whole race. What I remembered as an intense, close and robust (but fair) race wasn't really that at all. What at the time felt like me having to drive at my best both in terms of pace and in response to someone else wasn't either of these things, or at least was a very clumsy attempt at it.

The only thing I or anyone else can really tell you is practice. The more you play the more you'll get used to how cars handle and how to drive them as close to their full potential as you can. The point I'm at in my GT Sport abilities is one where my consistency drives me insane. I might be able to do one lap that's within a second of the top guys, but that's one lap within a run of 20 others where I'm nowhere near. That's after 600+ hours of driving.

The more you practice, the more quickly you'll be able to take to different tracks and cars. The more quickly you'll feel comfortable and confident, and be able to put in relatively quick (or quicker than normal) laps. The main benefit of this in regard to your thread premise is that the faster you are, the less you'll have to contend with erratic or lower-skilled drivers online. Then as your DR goes up as your results improve you get matched against better, more consistent, more predictable drivers. By that point you've improved your own driving, so it becomes easier to learn how to control your car in relation to your competitors.

Ultimately you can't control what the people you race against are going to do. Some might be bad, some might make mistakes, some might be dirty. Or at least they won't try to be clean at all costs. As you're still trying to learn, focus on your own car control and placement. Watch videos on youtube from people like Super GT or Tidgney - you'll get advice from people much better at GT Sport than I am, and you'll be able to see them doing it at the same time.

If you want one piece of advice in response to your question, I'd have to give you two. Don't put yourself in dangerous positions, and focus on your own pace as much as possible. You can get better.

Maybe practice more offline against AI drivers. Start in last place and practice working your way up the field, making it your primary goal to avoid all contact. Don't worry so much about coming in first - just focus on making nothing but clean passes. This might help develop an eye for spotting when/where there are good passing opportunities, and when/where it's too risky to attempt a pass without incident. Good luck.

Any advice on learning this skill better?
So, one, always look as far ahead as you can. The best racing drivers are looking at (and planning for) the exit of the corner as they approach it, and the straightaway ahead of them as they apex the corner. Some of your problem is definitely other drivers being erratic, but probably another part is that you're not aware of them early enough to avoid them.

But also, if you start a race in the middle of a pack of 12+ cars, you have to accept that you're not going to just be able to drive 110% from the get go. Driving to avoid contact is the name of the game during the opening lap of online races. I start every race assuming I'm only going to be able to drive at 9/10s until the field settles down. :cheers:

Maybe practice more offline against AI drivers. Start in last place and practice working your way up the field, making it your primary goal to avoid all contact. Don't worry so much about coming in first - just focus on making nothing but clean passes. This might help develop an eye for spotting when/where there are good passing opportunities, and when/where it's too risky to attempt a pass without incident. Good luck.

Problem is the AI is painfully slow, try LeMans 5/6Lap with 10x multipliers and they all pit on Lap1, you can’t set the tyre type also?

Problem is the AI is painfully slow

Predictably so. They all brake in the stupidest places and once you're used to where they brake, the passing becomes blind routine.

I had a few no qualifying race C's on a new account yesterday and was impressed at how hard people were trying to keep it clean. Lots of mistakes being made everywhere but I could also see the effort being made to avoid contact from them.

Stick with online racing. You'll learn way more.

I suppose you could hang around off circuit or in the pits during a race to see the lap times the AI does then adjust your car settings so your pulling the same times.

Kinda like the difficulty slider in F1 , I tried the 2019 demo on it’s default settings and I was within 1-3seconds of the pole qualifying time on 50-55 difficulty with little to no mistakes, which made the race more competitive :)

Well, you must realize, specially racing gr. 4 (like race B in RBR) that you are racing against FF, FR, MR and AWD cars, some very strong in straight line speed, others in grip or cornering and some absolutely need some trail braking to be effective.
So, different lines and different timings to put gas or brake. Some will be blindly fast on straights but almost stop on corners (figuratively speaking, of course).

Thanks again for the replies. Last night I did the Maggiore race, without much practice, took a small DR hit, but got solidly back up into mid-S territory.
I was annoyed, because I was ready to do the FIA manufacturer's race at tokyo for 11:40, but got kicked off the network just as entry closed. So I missed Round 1. Darn it.

edit: and as far as practicing against AI, although i'm still doing some campaign mode stuff, I'm not going to get too used to using them as stand-ins for real people, since they drive very differently. But point gotten about using them more as a dodging practice.

Predictably so. They all brake in the stupidest places and once you're used to where they brake, the passing becomes blind routine.
Don't the AIs mostly just follow the driving line during races? Because that was the case with the older titles.

They mostly do but it's a no risk road hogging version of the racing line, with lots of early braking and avoiding curbs. They do a decent job if you're a novice but anything above that, they're just annoying rolling road blocks.

Maybe it’s me or my controller but I find sometimes I hit deadzones where it just stops turning on the analogue stick with no more reaction like the Bluetooth has partially disconnected for a few ms.
This happens to me even with the controller charging. I've tried multiple times to clean it by blowing air into the sticks. Still happens with the newest controller I bought.

About the cornering, it's pot luck in races. Depends where you start, who you're racing. I didn't qualify for any of this week's Daily races. So, I able to manage my race more from the back. When I qualified for Race C, I've been starting around 5th place. Way more getting hit from behind, while slowing, because of the car ahead.

They mostly do but it's a no risk road hogging version of the racing line, with lots of early braking and avoiding curbs. They do a decent job if you're a novice but anything above that, they're just annoying rolling road blocks.
And not to mention they're slow as well.

Don't the AIs mostly just follow the driving line during races? Because that was the case with the older titles.
When set to professional they mostly do. When set to beginner or intermediate, they make more "mistakes" in line and braking points and especially on beginner can be incredibly unpredictable. When I was learning I was initially extremely frustrated until I worked out it was more fun losing to "professional" AI than being punted, brake checked or pit manouvered by "beginners".

When set to professional they mostly do. When set to beginner or intermediate, they make more "mistakes" in line and braking points and especially on beginner can be incredibly unpredictable. When I was learning I was initially extremely frustrated until I worked out it was more fun losing to "professional" AI than being punted, brake checked or pit manouvered by "beginners".
Yup. When set to intermediate, they're apparently more aggressive. That's how the AI system works.

Back