Can we discuss the FT-86 Sports concept for a moment? And other Toyota concepts...

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 0 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
So, as most of us know, GT is known to integrate cars from SEMA and Pebble Beach, going back to GT4 and cars like the Buick "Bu'Wicked" Special. But there was also a temporary period where GT also picked cars from the Tokyo Auto Salon, such as the D1GP-spec Mazda RX-7 FC, the time-attack Lancer Evolution IX tuned by HKS, and the Toyota FT-86 Sports Concept. Here's my question: As more and more of the previous prize-winning cars return to the games (either in Sport or a future title), should PD just have the FT-86 return alone, or should it also be added alongside the initial FT-86 Concept? Personally, I think it should just return alone, as the FT-86 is rendered redundant by the production-spec 86 GT.

Similarly, I think that eventually, the S-FR, S-FR Racing Concept, the FT-1, and FT-1 Gazoo Racing Concept may be rendered redundant if those cars enter production and obtain similar racing vehicles in real-life, such as if there's a Supra A90 GT3 (or maybe even a GT500-spec racer?). However, for the sake of keeping all the VGTs around in future games, I think the original Toyota VGT Gr.X car ought to stick around at the minimum. And if the FT-86 Sports Concept and the Toyota VGT Gr.X return in a future game, I think the flavor text should simply be updated to give context to these cars. Like a short paragraph could be added, then the flavor text would continue as it reads now. Heck, the S-FR Racing Concept doesn't even really have any official specs according to its flavor text, does it?

Like, for the S-FR and FT-1, I think they should stick around in the series in their concept forms, at least until a production-spec equivalent for these cars are added. That way, they can still be fun to play around with as concept cars, much like concept cars that ultimately do not get the green-light, and instead may simply be showcases for a certain design direction, or new technology, etc. Even before the VGT program, we saw numerous concept cars get replaced with their production versions. There was the Mazda RX-8, Nissan Fairlady Z (Z33), Nissan GT-R (R35) (With both a 2001 and 2005 concept, to boot!), the 2nd-gen NSX, the Audi R8, and others I've likely missed. And some concepts have received production-spec cars that aren't in GT yet, like the cross-over concepts in Gran Turismo 4 for Infiniti, Mazda, and Range Rover. I'm not sure how many concepts could be brought back, though, as some seem like they could be a lot of fun to drive for their own reasons, or could be great to have for historical reasons, like to show a successor to a famous car was planned at one point. My personal picks for reprising concepts would be the Toyota MTRC, the Honda HSC (to show another way the 2nd-gen NSX could've gone), the Corvette Stingray Racer Concept, the Corvette Stingray Gran Turismo Concept, Daihatsu OFC-1, and probably others I've forgotten about for the moment.

EDIT: And I wonder what should be done with "Launch Edition" cars, such as the 2013 Viper, or the Alfa Romeo 4C if/when the "main" version of the latter is eventually added? They're not the "main" version, but they're still production cars. I think they should stay in the series, but also return in a later game. For a slimmed down installment like GTS here, I think every spot counts, so neat little trims and variants should be saved for the hypothetical GT7, unless they have a lot to offer from a gameplay perspective. For example, how there's two Renault Gr.4 cars now, but one is FF and the other is rear-wheel drive.

Last edited:
Back