Can we give PD props for Tokyo Expressway Inner Loop?

• Thread starter isamu
  • 19 comments
I will concede that South Inner (& South Outer) are a good improvement to Tokyo Expressway, but the original layouts are not at all fantastic in my opinion, and are among the worst of GT Sport’s original circuits.

SI & SO should have been the starting point, and then PD could have incorporated R246 into the Tokyo circuit location.

I get what they are trying to do ie. Wangan racing and I even like a few of the layouts.

Be that as it may, two lane racing ends up in wall riding even with the AI and overall I dont enjoy narrow track racing.

I like that midnight twilight aesthetic... looks very Neo Tokyo Bladerunner but really none of them are anything like the legendary PD original tracks of old.

IMO when you go from Central -> East -> South, the ideal maximum car class gets higher. So the central courses are best with cars that are up to N300 and some lower-powered Gr.X cars like the kart, the BMW i3, and the Daihatsu VGT, with the east courses being good for cars up to N1000, as well as Gr.4, Gr.3, Gr.B, and most VGTs. And then the south courses are good for up to almost anything, including Gr.1, Gr.2, and many Gr.X cars like the Red Bull cars and the F1500T-A.

TBH, I'd love to see the Tokyo Expressway courses, the Special Stage/Clubman Stage courses (especially SSR7, which could connect some of these areas) and the Tokyo R246 all be somehow consolidated into a broader, singular location with many variants. Call it "PD's view of Tokyo," so to speak. I wouldn't mind if all three locations and their layouts didn't necessarily have the same name or even precisely same layout (as it could also be a chance to improve on the designs for the other, older courses) but they could still bring back the basic layouts for these courses, and they could all be inter-connected. Heck, there could even be this unranked online mode where you can just cruise on this open map like a lobby of sorts, and challenge other racers. (Also to note: didn't some of the PS3-era Special Stage courses have unfinished roads you could drive on via hacking? As if it may've been planned to use the exit ramps?)

Last edited:
I'm not a fan, sry. There are more interesting cities than Tokyo when it comes to city circuits...but it's not bad.

DKUR9Tk.png

Nice track but out of all locations, they deserve the least amount of props for Toyko Expressway since it's on their doorstep. At least other with other locations they need to pack an overnight bag. :P

Osaka would be cooler. It has Gate Tower.

190ba7x5q1wzmjpg.jpg

Last edited:
Tokyo East, both inner and outter, are my favourite original tracks of all time, narrowly edging out SSR7 due to better scenery.

I really wish they would find a way to combine Central, East, and South into a large free roam map for cruising and street racing.

Ideally though, I want PD to remake the Shutoku Expressway system, complete with Parking Areas, like the maps from Genki’s Tokyo Extreme Racer series.

I like them, they are really nice to drive around, intensely good, and tunnels.
I cry to imagine how good cockpit view at night in VR is.

Man, what a great track. Beautiful scenery, inredidble flow and the lighting is amazing. The original layout is fantastic but the new Inner Loop really makes Tokyo Expressway shine IMO. The Formula 1 car is an absolute blast to drive around here.

I must have a problem with my game because Tokyo looks like a load of awful featureless textureless unfinished grey slabs around a road course.
The worst looking of all the tracks.

I have a hard time enjoying any of the Tokoyo tracks. They are too narrow to race clean on and I just dont think the scenary is that great, I think Sardegna is far, far better.

SI & SO should have been the starting point, and then PD could have incorporated R246 into the Tokyo circuit location.

TBH, I'd love to see the Tokyo Expressway courses, the Special Stage/Clubman Stage courses (especially SSR7, which could connect some of these areas) and the Tokyo R246 all be somehow consolidated into a broader, singular location with many variants. Call it "PD's view of Tokyo," so to speak. I wouldn't mind if all three locations and their layouts didn't necessarily have the same name or even precisely same layout (as it could also be a chance to improve on the designs for the other, older courses) but they could still bring back the basic layouts for these courses, and they could all be inter-connected. Heck, there could even be this unranked online mode where you can just cruise on this open map like a lobby of sorts, and challenge other racers. (Also to note: didn't some of the PS3-era Special Stage courses have unfinished roads you could drive on via hacking? As if it may've been planned to use the exit ramps?)

As much as I'd love to see them all connected, it's not possible. The old Special Stage series are entirely fictional (though SSR7 is definitely based on the Wangan Line - which has now kinda morphed and been truncated into the Tokyo East layout). The current Tokyo Expressway series of tracks are still fictional, but some corners and sections are lifted off from the real highway system (e.g. Central has parts from C1 loop, East has parts from Wangan, and South has Yokohama docks and the pit building is based of a real life one). Tokyo R246 meanwhile is based of an exact location and each street is exactly the same as real life.

I honestly love the Tokyo Expressway, and it’s a great place to race for N class cars.

But all the fun is taken out when wall-riders come around. However, I set the Wall Collision detection to Strict and a Strong wall penalty. This gives a 10-15 second penalty (I tried it by myself and it works), which should keep things fair.

Back