Can we.have a test drive mode for tuning

• Thread starter Rotgutsnot
  • 21 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Please can we have a test drive mode for car tuning ..... A mode where you can select the track and do free laps , with the option to "pit" and alter car settings .. Would make tuning easier .. Currently the only way I know is to select time trial , setup car , do a few laps then quit , and start again to alter the car setup .. It's not ideal .👎

You can do it by opening an online lobby - limit access to friends only and max. 2 players to avoid other people interfering, and turn off tire/fuel wear - and you should be good to go.

so can you alter the tuning during the race without having to quit .?
You're not racing in the lobby as it'll just be you. Doing it like that means you can do as many laps as you want on your own and just quit back to the pits to make changes to the tune, tyres etc whenever you want. Then just exit the pits again and drive more etc

Last edited:
You're not racing in the lobby as it'll just be you. Doing it like that means you can do as many laps as you want on your own and just quit back to the pits to make changes to the tune, tyres etc whenever you want. Then just exit the pits again and drive more etc
I've never played in a lobby before, so maybe why I am asking, but when you pit, I know you can change tires, but are you saying there is an option to adjust the tune settings in-race from the pits too?

I've never played in a lobby before, so maybe why I am asking, but when you pit, I know you can change tires, but are you saying there is an option to adjust the tune settings in-race from the pits too?
To be able to change the tune you need to press options then select quit to take you back into the pits, driving in only lets you change the tyres.

or just hot lap a regular race and earn credits while testing. Resart after lap 1 if not happy.

Last edited:
To be able to change the tune you need to press options then select quit to take you back into the pits, driving in only lets you change the tyres.
One last point of clarification, I took OP's post as the time it takes to quit TT, edit settings and go back in (and thus losing previous lap times/splits) and if there is/wishes there was a way to stay in-race, make the adjustments and keep the times/splits and save the exit/loading? Does this method differ from TT or is it roughly the same?

One last point of clarification, I took OP's post as the time it takes to quit TT, edit settings and go back in (and thus losing previous lap times/splits) and if there is/wishes there was a way to stay in-race, make the adjustments and keep the times/splits and save the exit/loading? Does this method differ from TT or is it roughly the same?
If you quit back to the pits in a lobby it'll remember the fastest lap but splits get reset. But it's much better than having to fully quit then re-enter a TT. You can quickly make tuning changes and see the difference straight away in a lobby.

You can do it by opening an online lobby - limit access to friends only and max. 2 players to avoid other people interfering, and turn off tire/fuel wear - and you should be good to go.
Not an ideal situation,you need to see what effects your tune does to both Fuel and tyre performance or you end up having the Cobra that barely does 2 and a half laps of Le Mans due to lack of fuel.

Not an ideal situation,you need to see what effects your tune does to both Fuel and tyre performance or you end up having the Cobra that barely does 2 and a half laps of Le Mans due to lack of fuel.
just set tire wear and fuel to x1, or whatever

I don't see the problem, just change the tyre & fuel in the lobby settings to suit.

You can set tire and fuel wear to whatever you want ;)
I just said it so it's more comparable lap after lap when he wants to try out different setups.

Save your best lap replay, then exit and change setup/tune. Then select settings then ghost replay and load your previous ghost/lap. I’m not sure if this is the best way of doing that or not. Hopefully this helped 🍻

Just go to the tracks with the hang out/meet up option from the region map screen. You can do laps, exit out (which puts you in the pits), edit car settings and then head straight back out onto the track.

Please can we have a test drive mode for car tuning ..... A mode where you can select the track and do free laps , with the option to "pit" and alter car settings .. Would make tuning easier .. Currently the only way I know is to select time trial , setup car , do a few laps then quit , and start again to alter the car setup .. It's not ideal .👎

i want the ability to do quick, repeated 0-60, quarter mile, and other speed tests to guage minor transmission adjustments and strategies, and other aspects of tuning. I know the "measure" button SIMULATES these, but that doesn't really help, especially in regards to shifting strategies or situations where the AI does dumb stuff.

or just hot lap a regular race and earn credits while testing. Resart after lap 1 if not happy.

A) that takes forever.
B) it's completely useless as an actual qualitative analysis of the performance of a tune.

Sometimes i'm trying to figure out if setup/strategy A is 2 tenths faster than setup/strategy B, or exactly how different they are, since they'd require different pit strategies, etc.

This is somewhere between impossible and extremely time-consuming in GT7. We need a "lab" where we can track timed launches, skidpads with realtime G-force readouts, stuff like that. The tuning support in GT7 is shockingly rudimentary -- not the tuning options themselves, but the ability to test those tunes.

It's like giving someone a kitchen with zero measuring or temperature tools, and telling them "well if the meal is bad, you messed up -- just try some other random amounts and ingredients! That should be all you need!"

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back