Can we have an option to save Replays to ps3 as videos?

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 28 comments
Italy
Italy
karsten_beoulve
Dear Yamauchi-san;

as you know PS3 uses a protection in its HDMI ports making impossible to save perfect video from the replays, would it be possible for the game to save the replay to PS3 in a format that can be read on PCs and MAC like for example a video file MP4?

I'm pretty sure that the powerful cell architecture can do it in some way and it would be a great hand for all of us that make race reviews or just love to video edit their driving exploits and do not have access to very expensive video capture equipments.

Many thanks in advance.

Export To You Tube was actually a planned feature for GT5, but it never ended up making it into the game. Maybe we'll see something like this in GT7 for the PS4, which would be quite pointless as the PS4 does this kind of thing already.

exactly, i think i read the feature was taken off because it would take time to produce the video. well i'm sure that even if the process is slow it's ways faster then (in my case)

restart the ps3 changing cable to the psx scart, setting up video and audio, connecting through splitter to my potato capture card, starting notebook, starting capture program, running game to the point i want to record and get a mpeg2 file of bad quality that i have to work with, edit and reconvert to mp4 for youtube... All of this for a less then SD quality video that is INTERLACED TOO :D

I would love such a feature even if it takes 2 hours for 20minutes video and even if it outputs just 720p video

@moxlox it's funny but what i go through to make my race videos is actually worse :D i didn't mention that my potato capture stick manages to crash every 15 minutes on average :D

It was explained that the ram left over from the game wasn't enough to process any kind of video file, so for PS3 it wasn't possible.
The game designer also said that the developers created a YouTube upload option for GT5, but ended up dropping it, due to memory issue. Polyphony is considering it for the future, however. Face tracking also did not make its way into the game's GT Mode (it's in the Arcade Mode) also due to memory issues.
And I'm betting that "future" means PS4.

well it can free ram by not showing anything on screen if it makes sense

Maybe a slide show with bad fades and some elevator music?

At least you managed to learn a lot about the AV aspect of transferring video from a PS3 game to youtube. That's a pretty useful skill (this is a legit comment not sarcasm like the slide show question lol)

well it can free ram by not showing anything on screen if it makes sense
Err... not really. The thing is, the Movie Maker has to chew up the frame buffer and produce a video file that's fairly universal, .avi, .mpeg, something. And that processing has to be done in ram.

Who knows, maybe they found some magic tricks to make it work, but if a serious sound upgrade doesn't make it into GT6, I'm betting Movie Maker is impossible on PS3.

It's not that they don't have enough 'left over', it's that there isn't enough full stop. I'm pretty sure they could get it working but it would take hours to render any significant length clip. Just look at Forza and how long it takes to render 30 seconds, and it's pretty compressed at that meaning it's probably running a fast encoding setting.

I was going to mention Forza's system, but changed my mind because I could see the usual, "Oh you always have to ding Forza," or "At least Forza HAS something."

But I was the same way. "Only 30 seconds?? Cool, I can see YT's of most epic wrecks. And... HOW long does it take?? That's okay..."

Yes it's not their fault, the previous consoles simply don't have the power and memory to render gameplay of significant length. T10 obviously decided 30 seconds was the best balance between speed and length but anything above that and most people would have lost patience.

Sure, you might have a minority that won't mind waiting 90 minutes to render a 5 minute clip and lock up their console doing so but catering to those people with the further work it would need to code just isn't worth it.

We're simply going to have to wait for the current gen machines to get this sort of thing.

<snip>

as you know PS3 uses a protection in its HDMI ports making impossible to save perfect video from the replays, <snip>

The first part of this assertion is quite true, however, that does NOT make it impossible to record video from the HDMI port. All you need is a cheap splitter which strips the protection from the data stream.

Here is the one I'm using. http://amzn.com/B004F9LVXC

And be careful what you ask for. Creation of even 30 seconds of video on an Xbox 360 using Forza 4 takes forever. It is SO frustrating!

The advantages of an Elgato box with a splitter include:-
  • Full real time capture of up to 1080p.
  • No rendering time on the console.
  • Real time buffering of over an hour of recent screen content, not just short segments of video.
  • Ability to "rewind" recent gameplay to snip out the interesting segments.
  • No urgency to stop gaming to capture this recent gameplay since the buffer is over an hour long.
  • Ability to capture actual gameplay, not just replays.
  • Avoidance of the need to transfer video files from PS3 to computer since they are created on the computer, not the console.
  • No requirement to edit short segments together to create a full replay or even just a single lap.
  • Ability to real time stream your gameplay to friends (requires an extra service).
  • Works with ANY HDMI source, not just GT6, and not just PS3, but any console or other device which outputs HDMI. Or component. Or composite.
<snip>

We're simply going to have to wait for the current gen machines to get this sort of thing.

Making this an ingame function is taking it in the wrong direction entirely. It's better to spend dev resources in other areas, since the result can never compete with the external appliance approach.

this solution would be optimal, but hey! it's splitter+elgato thing+ a pc good enough to encode mp4 on the fly, and the whole of that is not on the reach of all.

expecially here we're still in economical crysys :D

this solution would be optimal, but hey! it's splitter+elgato thing+ a pc good enough to encode mp4 on the fly, and the whole of that is not on the reach of all.

expecially here we're still in economical crysys :D

In your question to Yamauchi-San, you led with the issue of protection of HDMI output. Clearly, if the economics of capturing HDMI is beyond you, then you could care less about whether the HDMI is protected or not. So why bring it up?

I answered your post as constructively and fully as I could and you're still not satisfied. I'm sorry I wasted my time on you.

VBR
Export To You Tube was actually a planned feature for GT5, but it never ended up making it into the game. Maybe we'll see something like this in GT7 for the PS4, which would be quite pointless as the PS4 does this kind of thing already.

PS4_share_button.jpg

;)

Making this an ingame function is taking it in the wrong direction entirely. It's better to spend dev resources in other areas, since the result can never compete with the external appliance approach.

Not true for those of us who cannot afford to buy external equipment. I'd love to be able to capture footage from within a game or games console.

@VBR, have you ever actually done it? Were you happy with the restrictions placed up on you and the time investment you were forced to make?

My point is that for about ⅓ of the cost of a current console, you can record from any console, any game, any game mode for now and way into the future without having to rely on every game maker to write the code for you in every game and game mode you want.

As to affordability, I agree that not 100% of gamers will choose to spend the money, just as not 100% of gamers will choose to buy a PS4 or Xbox One. I'm currently in that group.

In your question to Yamauchi-San, you led with the issue of protection of HDMI output. Clearly, if the economics of capturing HDMI is beyond you, then you could care less about whether the HDMI is protected or not. So why bring it up?

I answered your post as constructively and fully as I could and you're still not satisfied. I'm sorry I wasted my time on you.
I'm sorry i wasted my time reading your post, certainly my question is unsuitable since with a mere 300 or 400$ you can have a workaround...

I guess i'm one i like to do more with less, while you are one fine doing less with more things.

In any case as other pointed out ps4 already does it natively so it would be a very big expense useless as soon as one switches to new generation.

VBR
Not true for those of us who cannot afford to buy external equipment. I'd love to be able to capture footage from within a game or games console.
I hear you man, I'd love to have an HDMI recording device but because of my current situation I record everything through Composite video and a Dazzle, it's alright, but it could be a lot better.

@VBR, have you ever actually done it? Were you happy with the restrictions placed up on you and the time investment you were forced to make?

My point is that for about ⅓ of the cost of a current console, you can record from any console, any game, any game mode for now and way into the future without having to rely on every game maker to write the code for you in every game and game mode you want.

As to affordability, I agree that not 100% of gamers will choose to spend the money, just as not 100% of gamers will choose to buy a PS4 or Xbox One. I'm currently in that group.

"Let them eat cake". People can't "choose" to spend money they haven't got can they.

:rolleyes:

VBR
"Let them eat cake". People can't "choose" to spend money they haven't got can they.

:rolleyes:

If you read what I posted, you'll see that that's exactly what I did NOT say.

If you read what I posted, you'll see that that's exactly what I did NOT say.

Err...yes you did.

As to affordability, I agree that not 100% of gamers will choose to spend the money...

Not all gamers have the money in the first place in order to make such a choice. I know I certainly do not at the moment.

I'm sorry i wasted my time reading your post, certainly my question is unsuitable since with a mere 300 or 400$ you can have a workaround...

Why are you overstating the cost by a factor of two?

And you still haven't explained why you brought up HDMI protection in your original post.

I guess i'm one i like to do more with less, while you are one fine doing less with more things.

Given that what you are asking for does less, I'd say you like doing less with less.

In any case as other pointed out ps4 already does it natively so it would be a very big expense useless as soon as one switches to new generation.

Which sort of solves it for the PS4 with a limited buffer size, and there is still the task of getting the video file to your Mac or PC. It has advantages over the PS4 implementation. And the PS4 does nothing for people who continue to use their other HDMI devices such as PS3 or Xbox 360.

VBR
Not all gamers have the money in the first place in order to make such a choice. I know I certainly do not at the moment.

Spending is always a choice. Even if it's a choice between housing and putting a PS4 on a credit card, it's still a choice. It's like when you approach a red light. You can choose to stop or not. In each case, one of the choices is better than the other.

As for throwing the line "let them eat cake" at me, I feel that was totally unwarranted. I feel insulted.

I have simply been presenting the merits of a strategic solution over a tactical solution.

Spending is always a choice. Even if it's a choice between housing and putting a PS4 on a credit card, it's still a choice.

As for throwing the line "let them eat cake" at me, I feel that was totally unwarranted. I feel insulted.

No, spending is not always a choice, like when you don't even have the money in the first place.

Getting into debt using credit cards is not the same thing as choosing to spend money you actually have.

It wasn't my intention to insult you, I'm sorry if you took it that way, my apologies. I feel insulted when people assume that everyone in the world can afford certain luxuries.

You didn't mention YOUR cost to begin with, so that was an understandable misinterpretation. But, I am currently working on building up to a PS4, and I don't expect to make the purchase this year.

Then, I have to save up for a tv....

Yeah, I'm not getting anything extra "just" for video output....

Why are you overstating the cost by a factor of two?

And you still haven't explained why you brought up HDMI protection in your original post.

Given that what you are asking for does less, I'd say you like doing less with less.

I have simply been presenting the merits of a strategic solution over a tactical solution.

overstating by a factor of 2? you need at least a modern 4 core processor for processing quality video on the fly while capturing the video; imagine doing it with a 1080p one; so i might have *understated* the price.

i brought up the hdmi protection because it's an issue to many others, my question was to the benefit of many not just *mine* or my only selfish case.

If you saw my videos you would have seen that i already do them with the little i can afford

not a work of art but i do what i can.

so even if the most we could get is a 320x240 video, that would be way by all means better that anything i can capture. And i *think* many, many people would be thankful for it.

for what concerns the "cake" part it wasn't me saying that, but i guess they wished you to understand that not all can afford such setups and to those people such request is "of use".

overstating by a factor of 2? you need at least a modern 4 core processor for processing quality video on the fly while capturing the video; imagine doing it with a 1080p one; so i might have *understated* the price.

Again, not true. Please don't keep trying to frighten people off with misleading information. I have been using a six year old dual core laptop, and it works just fine.

The Elgato website says it needs a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, USB 2.0 and a 4GB RAM computer. See http://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd

"Supported resolutions: 1080p (simultaneous 60 fps pass-through and 30 fps capture), 1080i, 720p (60 or 30 fps capture), 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i, 288p, 240p"

i brought up the hdmi protection because it's an issue to many others, my question was to the benefit of many not just *mine* or my only selfish case.

Was "HDMI protection" the issue you wanted to resolve or was "more affordable capture"? Since you led with HDMI protection, it implied you were OK with the cost of HDMI capture. If you are not OK with the cost of HDMI capture, then HDMI protection just doesn't matter.

The Elgato website says it needs a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, USB 2.0 and a 4GB RAM computer. See http://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd

"Supported resolutions: 1080p (simultaneous 60 fps pass-through and 30 fps capture), 1080i, 720p (60 or 30 fps capture), 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i, 288p, 240p"

can you really capture and compres realtime at 1080p? can i see a sample? in any case a new notebook still costs at least 350$ and you keep missing the point that what i asked is basically a zero cost thing, but i guess it's useless to say it again

Back