Can we have the used car dealer back?

Brazil
São Paulo / Bra
diegorborges82
Since 1997 I play Gran Turismo in the same way: start with an used, cheap car, carefully chosen between the nice used car dealer selection. I couldn't do this in GT6, can we have the used car dealer back? In my humble opinion it's an integral part of the Gran Turismo soul. :)

Keep all cars in the "new" dealership. Just give us the option to buy used ones... mileage means history.

I have been a complete fan of the GT series, since the very first release.
My question is, With the extensive car list throughout the series, What was the reasoning behind removing certain cars from the game(Example: Toms Altezza, RWD DelSol, AE86 GT car...) and instead fill the dealerships with multiple of the same car in different years? the Mazda Miata and the endless amount of RX7 FD's is a great example.

Used Cars were always a "game within a game".

I was sad when they were missing in GT3 and I miss them in GT6.

Having all cars available all the time is very boring and it seriously destroys long-term gameplay design - in my opinion.

I am the one who will always support Used Cars Dealerships as on of many unique features of the Gran Turismo games.

We can always have both! Keep the new ones in the New Car Dealer (for those in a hurry), as quick buy option and always a bit more expensive.

Then keep the Used Car Dealer, with cheaper, used options exactly like it was on GT4-GT5... it is definitely a "game within a game" like @amar212 said, in GT5 I used to collect 2 kinds of cars: those with less than 10.000km and the ones with + than 300.000km... I loved these... I liked to see their HP dropped down because of the usage, that's how it works in real life, you can't simply go and find a brand new S13 Silvia, you have to hunt for the best one! That's the fun part of it, having the used car dealer. I spent a big time of my career on GT5 looking for interesting stuff... mileage = history.

I loved it, and I miss it really hard. In GT6, the first thing I did after buying the Honda Fit was instantly selling it to buy a '79 Nissan Bluebird! That's more like Gran Turismo :) I still can remember every car that I used to start in older GT games.

Having all cars available all the time is very boring and it seriously destroys long-term gameplay design - in my opinion.
I agree.

The UCD has always been an incentive to buy interesting cars, as you wouldn't know how long it would be 'til you see them again. In GT6 I have to force myself to go on a shopping spree because, unless I need a car right now, I never want to buy one because I can always buy it later. This was okay in GT3 as there were fewer cars, but in GT6 it's quite overwhelming as I have to prioritize which cars I want out of the entire car list.

My first response was NO WAY! Because it's such a pain for those who don't play enough to earn the money to buy when that ONE car comes up.... ;)

But after reading this, I'll say.... maybe... (Now an auction could be interesting, but in Forza that turned into a joke.....)

(Now an auction could be interesting, but in Forza that turned into a joke.....)
I have to say otherwise. Now to be sure, there were a silly number of multimillion credit offerings that were sometimes just upgraded with an almost nothing livery, but there were a lot of bargains to be found there too.

I completely forget about used cars every time I come here, even though I post about it periodically on the boards. I'm hoping that used cars return too, because they're a great way to get a good car that performs well at a discount. And then you can fix it up when you have the credits. And it's always a delight when that singular gem shows up in the UCD, like a surprise present. Having one online is a great idea, for cars provided by gamers and PD both, but I think it should be like it was in GT5 with an in-game dealership too.

I like the idea of an Auction house, though that would only really be cool if we get Race Mod and a Livery Editor, unless PD provided some goodies for it themselves.

I'm torn on the UCD...

On one hand, I understand the sentiment behind finding a rare car that not many others have, and the excitement that comes with finding a rare model.

On the other hand, since turning to online play in GT5, I use GT as a driving simulator to share experiences with my friends online. I no longer have any desire to grind credits to buy cars, or to wait for a "rare" car to appear. If I have X amount of hours in a day/week/month to play the game, I want to spend all of those hours doing the things I enjoy doing (going door-to-door in online lobbies), not grinding credits, and not cycling a UCD to find a car I want to drive.

My personal solution to this dilemma would work like this:

**note, my solution is dependant on having much more customization in the game to start, in order to build personalized versions of baseline models**

I would have all baseline models available from the NCD at all times (eg, Nissan Skyline GTR R34) The UCD would be comprised of "rare" cars, ie, limited production models, tuner cars, used racecars, etc (eg, NISMO GTR R34 R-tune).

Just my take on the whole UCD issue.

Love the current setup, but If I had to go back to UCD, GT2 would be my pick, used cars where found with there dealerships, showing up in random colors, but most cars could be found when you needed them, only the rarest cars would show up randomly. GT5 unfortunately placed most cars into the rare category making a unnecessarily difficult.

I never really cared much about UCD, but I enjoyed collecting 0/0/0 standard cars with OCD.

One other thing I think GT2 did right but GT5 did wrong: there simply weren't enough cars available each day in GT5.

I mean, 30 cars available on any given day? And only 6 of them replaced a day later?

In real life, almost any car you can think of is available at any given time, excluding the true rarities. What does change from day to day is the price you can get each one for, and maybe what colors are available.

There's no way I would have to wait months in real life just for a particular Honda Civic to show up... they're all over eBay.

I would suggest that instead of GT5's "6 a day" method, it would make more sense to have cars available based on how easy they are to find in real life. More common cars should be available more of the time, perhaps even all the time, and the mileage, prices, and colors they are available in should change every once in a while, as cars are sold and new ones are put on the market. This would be pretty different from all UCD's so far, but I think it would give more of a sense of searching for a deal, rather than waiting hundreds of days for a Golf to show up in the right color, or missing a chance to buy a Skyline because you did a five race championship and forgot to check the UCD between races.

If they go back to how the used car dealer was in gt1 and gt2 then yes but how it was in 4 and 5 was no good took forever to cycle. Not fun. Dealer based used cars. It was always cool to go to the used in gt1 and 2 because some of the cars would have modifications like someone had actually owned it before you. Was a great touch.

Definately miss the Used car dealership.
The fun of finding rare vehicles as you would in real life.
The fun of finding something cheap because its all you can afford, then modifying it to make it actually competitive against more expensive cars.
Each time you win some money, getting to spend a little more on your pride and joy to make it that little bit faster.

Then when you can finally afford to buy a brand new car, it actually feels more "brand new" with zero Ks on it.

Its such a key part of what made GT what it its.

GT2 had the right idea for sure. I remember checking each one frequently for the rare cars but I was at least able to pop in there and buy a used civic if I wanted one. GT5 was a pain in the ass. I was one of those people who used that spreadsheet that told you when certain cars would come up and at the time I could still do the car trade cheat. Then that all went away because they wanted me to waste my time grinding and hoping I had enough credits when the 2J finally showed up again.

I'd love cars to have Mechanical issues too. A 5 Kazula oil change shouldn't fix everything like a Magic Sponge.
Having a Cheap car that could lunch its engine if you miss a shift or drop a cog from a gearbox would reward smoother driving.

The Used car list was fun to peruse just to pick a random ish car -

A lot of potential with used cars that could add a huge aspect to the game if the game had long term mechanical damage and a sensible race pay structure. - Another page of stats showing just how much money you have wasted/invested keeping your beloved Alfa Romeo/TVR running after so many last lap reliability issues.

Maybe a Virtual Log book for your car so you can show off Failures -

i'm in two minds about this

i like UCD but its largely boring.... why the hell do I want a Opel Corsa Comfort? or an Avantime? or a Demio? you cant actually use them in a race

cycle the Chapparrals and the LM Spec ones more

how is it i've only seen stuff like the RX7 LM and NSX LM spec and various cool rally cars so late game?

give me the cool unique stuff not the boring crap

If the number of cars was larger and the variety of cars was truly huge, having (cheap) used cars COULD be an intriguing aspect.

But...

A well thought out and run auction would be as good or better.

And, yes, 200-300 PP cars are INTENSE to race in with well matched drivers!

I'm not down with the used dealership, but I wish you could still gift cars to friends.

Would rather cars be available when in want them. The game is for driving, but that's just me.

Well, we could have both. I did enjoy having all the cars available in GT6, but I still would have liked to see a UCD to have little bargains show up, and PD could put special cars in there to spice things up nicely and keep us interested.

I dunno, I'm kind of torn on having all cars available new and not. Part of what made the UCD special was not knowing what you might see in it when that next lot showed up, and to find some new cars that weren't in the new car lots.

I agree with my partner of Brazil, used cars back more life to the game and reality, but find it hard to implement this in gt6
Maybe GT7, but I'm not thinking about a new game nor want now so soon.

Like member brasilian

Concordo com o meu parceiro do Brasil, carros usados voltar mais vida ao jogo e realidade, mas acham difícil implementar isso em GT6
Talvez GT7, mas eu não estou pensando em um novo jogo, nem quero agora tão cedo.

Como membro brasileiro

Used cars add a lot of depth to the offline gameplay, but make it more difficult to get involved online. It's a tough balance. There's probably several ways to deal with this, from @diegorborges' suggestion, to just making more cars available in the UCD, to completely separating offline and online and making all cars available from the start online.

I'm not sure what the best choice is, but it's something that obviously needs to be considered.

Back