Can you beat the Dodge Viper ACR Nordschleife lap record?

• Thread starter Adam41
  • 7 comments
England
England
WilliamsJIM_Adam
Here's a fun challenge for anyone who fancies something a bit different.

The Viper ACR set a lap time of 7:03.5 back in 2017. Of course, the ACR version isn't in GT Sport, but a modified Gr.4 version does the job very well. I've matched the official record lap to my lap in GT to less than half a second. If you play both of the videos at the same time you'll see it's neck and neck for most of the lap:

You can only max the power to 493 bhp, quite a bit short of the real world 645, but a lower weight makes up for it. 150 sounds like a large deficit, but the Gr.4 car on Sport Softs provides the cornering grip, downforce and drag the real car has so you'll be reaching nearly exactly the same speeds throughout the lap. And don't forget you'll have a race gearbox whereas the real car has a manual. I know, they sound like 2 very different cars, but give it a go and you will be surprised!

Here's the settings you'll need:

PS_Messages_20200404_211142.jpg
PS_Messages_20200404_211144.jpg
PS_Messages_20200404_211145.jpg

I select the exact same gears as the real lap and the they are tuned to match it as close as possible. You want to shift at just after 6500 unless you're ringing it out. To get the gears above, move the final drive first and then move the individual gears. Leave the max speed alone.

Have fun and let me know if you enjoyed it. :gtpflag:

Managed a 7:06.6 after 7 laps, optimal 7:06.2. I ran a neutral brake balance though, not sure if that's permitted?

The car feels pretty good to drive. My brain is having a hard time wrapping itself around the amount of trust you can put in the front end downforce though.

Edit 7:05.7

Setup at the start of the video. For some reason I had set 2nd gear to 2.091 instead of 2.099.

Last edited:
Managed a 7:06.6 after 7 laps, optimal 7:06.2. I ran a neutral brake balance though, not sure if that's permitted?

The car feels pretty good to drive. My brain is having a hard time wrapping itself around the amount of trust you can put in the front end downforce though.

The 7:03.5 is set by the real car is actually from a timing line just after the timing line we have in GT, to a timing line straight after the last corner so doesn't actually complete a full lap (because "official" Nurburgring lap times set by Manufacturer's trying to one up each other).

But yeah I'd imagine a low 7:06 is on the pace of the record 👍

Brake bias is personal preference I guess.

The speeds and cars in GT are weird like that, I did a comparison with GT, AC and PC2 the other day and in order to get the same lap times in GT as the other two games around the same track, I had to use a car with 100/120 less horsepower in GT.

I do like these kinds of challenges however in the end you're taking GT Sport's version of the Viper which has been massively BoP'ed into this thing... a 500hp 3,400lb car that cant break 200mph and would be very much slower than the real thing except you have PD physics on your side.

I do like these kinds of challenges however in the end you're taking GT Sport's version of the Viper which has been massively BoP'ed into this thing... a 500hp 3,400lb car that cant break 200mph and would be very much slower than the real thing except you have PD physics on your side.

The real car can't break 200 mph FYI. Its top speed is 177mph because of the drag it creates.

If you bothered to watch the video the top speed down the back straight is a 1mph difference, and that might only be because I braked later.

Edit: sorry sounded like a bit of 🤬 there. You're more than right in that GT's physics play a part in making this comparison.

Last edited:
Well, the Viper GT4 is a completely made up car, it just happens to have similar grip and bodywork to the ACR. Complaining about the specs/performance of a modified version of a made up car designed to fit into a made up Group 4 loosely based on the performance of FIA GT4 seems counter-productive.

Back