Can you distinguish between FF, FR, MR...

• Thread starter Met Entso
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
Barcelona
Metentso
Because I can't. I just adapt to every car but i dont go like, oh it's FF so I have to drive like this or that. I have no idea.

Also the same about break biass, it's like dark magic to me.

What is wrong with me? or is it normal at an average level (B) or maybe because of using a controller? But I used wheels for a couple of months and it was the same.

It's not about the drivetrain, it's about the car.

You could have a pair of FFs, FRs or MRs, and they would both feel different compared to each other.

Last edited:
FF cars will understeer on power.

MR cars I haven’t driven much yet in GT7 besides Gr.3 cars, and I think the downforce nullifies some of the MR feel you’d get in a road car. I remember in previous games, where they were weren’t correctly simulated, some MR road cars would always be squirrely and wanting to step out, but not quite in the same way as FR cars. In general, they are more like FR cars than FF, AWD in terms of the rear stepping out upon breaking traction on power.

FR cars will oversteer when they break traction. You can test this by ramming the throttle on corner exit, contrasted with FF cars which will understeer more.

EDIT: As @TumeK5 said, each car will feel different to drive, even if they share the same drivetrain as another. An Aston Martin DB11 feels a bit cumbersome compared to a Toyota 86. The core principles of the drivetrain are there, but some FR cars might take more to break traction than others, depending on their power output, suspension setup, weight balance, etc.

Last edited:
There are plenty of variables determining how a car will handle.

Suspension, weight distribution, power transfer.

I was gonna say, for MRs, for example the MR2 drives like it's trying to kill you, while the NSX is a lot more stable.

Easily, but there's differences among cars with those drivetrains as mentioned above.

Though, in race cars, Gr4 and Gr3, the differences are less noticeable. Road cars make the differences more obvious.

FFs are front-heavy, very stable, easy to control, and never oversteer (not entirely realistic)

FRs are generally balanced, easy to control and drift, but break traction fairly easily because less weight is over the rear wheels. Muscle cars are almost undriveable until tuned.

MRs are trying to kill you, with lift-off oversteer and snap oversteer when corrected, but are usually faster. Except the 2002 NSX Type R. That's just bloody perfect.

That over simplifies things a bit, but you get the idea.

Because I can't. I just adapt to every car but i dont go like, oh it's FF so I have to drive like this or that. I have no idea.

What is wrong with me? or is it normal at an average level (B) or maybe because of using a controller? But I used wheels for a couple of months and it was the same.
Which driving assists do you use? They are dampening the experience. Of course you would feel less if every oversteer is ironed out by the TCS and other assists.

I don't care about brake settings as i just use standard orr the Gtplanet tuners settings.

Last edited:

some things are more obvious than others.

FF cars will often struggle to turn into corners (understeer), especially at speed

4WD cars will often understeer, maybe not as much as FF but it's still visible. they will have much better traction off the start line though

MR and FR, I am not expert but you can tell you are driving one when you floor the throttle and they spin in a corner due to too much power in the rear wheels

I'm (top end of) B/S and also on controller. I cannot tell much difference between two MR or two FR, but there are differences

I cannot tell much about how Brake Bias affects cornering because I'm not at that level. I just use brake bias to control tyre wear :)

Which driving assists do you use? They are dampening the experience. Of course you would feel less if every oversteer is ironed out by the TCS and other assists.

I don't care about brake settings as i just use standard orr the Gtplanet tuners settings.
I don't use any driving assist. But they say that with controllor you always have some kind of assist.

I don't use any driving assist. But they say that with controllor you always have some kind of assist.
You have very noticeable assists.
One fine example is take the Plymouth Cuda to Daytona Oval 700pp race. Almost impossible to loose control at top speed on the banking, with the wheel and no assists you will lose it every time.
Other is just all the drift control stuff.

But the kind of drivetrain is clearly noticeable. Of course, some 4WD, like TT, Lancers and Imprezas behave almost like FF cars, but a Skyline would behave more like a FR, because of the torque distribution.
FR and MR cars are also noticeable, but on this cars there is extremes in terms of balance. Extremely balanced cars and poorly balanced. But when pushed you can tell the kind of drivetrain

When I tried the Honda Beat in the Kei Car endurance race the other day, I was reminded pretty much immediately that it's mid-engined. It is very delicate under braking and will miss no opportunity to kick the back out, even in standard configuration. That's why the addition of the Suzuki Cappuccino was such a blessing for this event. It is superior to the Daihatsu Copen thanks to being rear wheel drive, while also avoiding the dreaded MR layout of the two Hondas.

Come to think of it, GT7 has next to ne Kei Cars compared to previous games.

One fine example is take the Plymouth Cuda to Daytona Oval 700pp race.
The only Plymouth in the game is the XNR concept car and the Superbird. .....unless I missed it's release. The only thing close to the e-body 'Cuda we do have is the '70 Dodge Challenger. I sure would love to have the 'Cuda though and a '69 Charger for that matter. .....the latter being my first car IRL which I still own. :)

To the OP..... Yes, I can tell the difference on many, not so much on some others. I'm using the PS5 controller.

Last edited:
Yes, generally speaking. FF tends to understeer under full throttle, FR tends to oversteer under full throttle, MR tends to become unstable when lifting the throttle entirely and RR is all about taming the accellerator with almost no need for steering input. Every car has its own traits though.

For me all the drivetrain layouts have their own distinct feel on controller or a wheel, pretty much any racing game can pull this off now a days. Even games like GTA5 or Cyberpunk can do it.

Last edited:

You can with AWD and 4WD 😍😍. EVOs 4 life 😍

I can tell for sure. For me FF feels bad and understeery like I should be able to go faster but have to drive weird to do so. In FR I feel like I have more control and welcome the extra oversteer. I like MR the best because I can steer the car with the throttle and it comes in handy racing FR cars on tracks with big sweeping turns. MR cars can rotate much better but the trade off is instability which has gotten much better. I loved my Ferrari GR.3 in GT Sport and its almost back to form now in GT7.

Back