Can you drive Prototype C without cursing?

• Thread starter slthree
  • 16 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I reached the point in my career where I got to race in Prototype C cars. I was excited to use them but it didn't take long for me to hate them. Or, more accurately, for them to hate me. No amount of practice could make me comfortable with this car. No setup could make me comfortabke with this car. In any given session (practice/qualifying/racing) i could get lucky enough to manage a few good laps only to be undone by inevitably spinning out coming out of a turn. It seemed like even the slightest feather touch of the throttle would spin me out.

It has been such an ongoing nightmare that I finally had to set difficulty to 0 and race length to 3 laps (supposed to have been 20) just to clear this series. Yes, I'm ashamed.

Am I the only person whose struggled with this?

Have any of you successfully completed the Prototype C series? Do you have any secrets to share?

You can also always short-shift during a tricky section, or delay the last downshift for a corner until after you've completed the corner and have the car fully straightened out.

Yes, I'm ashamed.
Nothing to be ashamed of, in fact I'm going to suggest you use some assists! You might as well enjoy the experience and that's what they are there for, to assist. ;)

In the game options, if it's not already on in that car, I'd say trying traction control will help with your throttle input - you might only need it on low. And switching on Opposite Lock Assist might also be an aid with the wayward rear end - it's meant for controllers but can be beneficial for wheel users with problem cars.

I was going to share some details, but I'm not sure if this is the group with the sauber C9 or whatever the car is.
If it is, the sauber seemed pretty fine on 1-5 downforce,and gears suitable for the shorter monza classic.
Basically 1st gear hit 90-100mph. Tuning wise, everything else was probably default.
They seem like they're going to suddenly break loose or be horrible to drive, but they really arent.
AI on 1+1. There is definately shame in losing to the AI, so I make sure it never happens.

Last edited:
I reached the point in my career where I got to race in Prototype C cars. I was excited to use them but it didn't take long for me to hate them. Or, more accurately, for them to hate me. No amount of practice could make me comfortable with this car. No setup could make me comfortabke with this car. In any given session (practice/qualifying/racing) i could get lucky enough to manage a few good laps only to be undone by inevitably spinning out coming out of a turn. It seemed like even the slightest feather touch of the throttle would spin me out.

It has been such an ongoing nightmare that I finally had to set difficulty to 0 and race length to 3 laps (supposed to have been 20) just to clear this series. Yes, I'm ashamed.

Have any of you successfully completed the Prototype C series? Do you have any secrets to share?
My best bet to you even if i use controller try turning your boost down because it sounds like you’re struggling with the turbo lag. And yea engine braking turned up should help aswell as messing with the downforce

I did a couple of short practise races at Laguna Seca in the Aston Martin DBR1/300 and then the Lotus 40 and remembering your post thought I would try the Formula C. My thoughts are as follows - I think the car is fine on default settings with no assists (if using a wheel), but it requires accurate placement on the track and a smooth driving style. Complete your braking before the corner and go back onto the throttle early, but gently. Be careful with your final down change so as not to unsettle the car through unwanted engine braking on corner entry - try dropping the final cog when you are off the brakes - just before you gently get back on throttle.

The Lotus 40 can be slid on corner entry and exit and gain on the AI who are too smooth with this car, but if you do this with the Formula C it loses a lot of time - presumably through a loss of downforce from the wings. Concentrate on your own lines - being smooth and accurate and largely ignore what the AI are doing (they probably aren't on the best line for this car).

I found the Formula C quite good fun and no problem to drive - after I had adjusted my driving - even though it's not really my cup of tea as I much prefer non-downforce cars which feel more alive and don't require such a smooth and accurate style.

In summary I don't think there is a problem with the car - it needs smooth handling and accurate race lines - this is what you would expect from a single seater with downforce. In real life these cars do break away suddenly, but you have the benefit of feel through your body and butt which you don't get from a game.

Thanks guys, I'm going to try these suggestions.

Sick, lately I've been trying to drive everything default so I'll try it again. It's just so hard to come out of turns and apply power. I may turn the racing line on and be more careful how I'm entering the curves

I think @Sick Cylinder probably nailed it. It's probably driving technique. The car has no abs so if you brake too late into a corner there is no assist that will save you. So break early as he said, and only apply the brakes about 80%. Then don't apply too much acceleration until you're facing the direction you want to go. Do this along with max engine braking in the setup and it should help. If all else fails use full assists instead of authentic

My driving technique is better than when I started but still needs a lot of help. A lot

It's so painful that I'm out of town on a work trip this week. Can't wait to get home to try it again.

Thanks guys, I'm going to try these suggestions.

Sick, lately I've been trying to drive everything default so I'll try it again. It's just so hard to come out of turns and apply power. I may turn the racing line on and be more careful how I'm entering the curves

Try the Formula C at tracks which you know really well - avoid it at tracks which you don't know intimately. Perhaps practise the tracks first in the Lotus 51 Formula Ford.

Prototype C

Formula C

I wonder if there's some confusion about the car class here. Are you talking about Group C (Sauber-Mercedes, Porsche 962 etc) or Formula C (junior single seaters)? If the latter, I remember there being some bugs with tyres that cause these to be pretty much undrivable – not sure if that was ever fully resolved. I've never driven FC so can't really give any advice beyond that.

I wonder if there's some confusion about the car class here. Are you talking about Group C (Sauber-Mercedes, Porsche 962 etc) or Formula C (junior single seaters)? If the latter, I remember there being some bugs with tyres that cause these to be pretty much undrivable – not sure if that was ever fully resolved. I've never driven FC so can't really give any advice beyond that.

Ah yes! - I thought SL was talking about the Formula C single seater which a lot of people have complained about, but which I think is now ok!

That's the class where it's pretty much Nissan ZX Turbo or nothing. I can drive some of the other cars but because there so non competitive in that class it's been a very long time since I've driven anything else except the Nissan. The biggest problem I've had with those cars is that they can be touchy under braking. Sometimes it feels like one side or the other will lock up and throw the car into a spin so I can't be very aggressive under braking.

I think your distinction is correct. The career mode series is called "Protype C". My car was white with a yellow bubble over where the driver sits. I believe it's the bridge to LMP cars. I wish I was home to check the name of the car.

@Sick Cylinder It wasn't an open cockpit, if that helps. It was closed. Pretty big, thick car

Sorry for that. I should have posted the car name instead of the series name

EDIT: Just looked it up and I believe it is the Sauber Mercedes.

I'm going to redo that series. Which different car should I select?

Last edited:
Sauber Mercedes CLK in Group C?

Just took this car for a spin on Le Sarthe. Very touchy when getting on throttle through and out of a corner like you said. What I do is trail brake coming to a corner, quickly stab the brakes and then lightly apply the brakes coming to the corner. I never try to downshift lower than 3rd gear going into a corner unless its a super slow corner. For example the Michelin chicane on Le Sarthe I downshift from 5th to 3rd then only downshift to 2nd once I'm out of the corner and facing the direction I want to go with the wheel completely straight. I then apply full throttle once I completely leave a corner. Otherwise I'm feathering the throttle throughout the corner.

IMO If your lightly touching the throttle and still spinning out you might be in too low a gear in the corner

Didn't reach Prototype C in the main career yet, but I completed a long race in Nissan manufacturer series - Nissan R89C, Fuji Speedway. No assists. However, I was able to have a stable control on the soft slicks only, the hard make it much harder to control for me. But it seems like the opponents use soft slicks too, they did at least one pit stop.

Back