Can you enjoy GT 7 without learning tuning?

• Thread starter DTHolm
  • 9 comments
United States
United States
I just watched a basic turning video. I got lost and confused most of the time. I do not plan to race online. I do what to get all my books and get cars from the 1960s and all my license (the first one is done). I have upgraded tires and other parts. I hope I did not make things worse for me.

I just follow Praiano's tunes, they're consistent with my driving habits most of the time.

If you don't want to play with any tuning, then upgrading the tires, slapping a lesser Turbo and not going crazy with engine tuning should be enough to get you covered on almost all events.

With this being said, learning the basics of how to tune a car isn't hard and the game does a relatively good job of explaining the things to you in the tuning options.

Frankly, LSD, Toe angle and shock absorbers compression and rebound are like the only really hard things to learn to fine tune, the rest is straightforward.

Gearbox tuning is also a must if you're going to upgrade a car to max because the standard gearbox or even the fully customizable race gearbox is not gonna do a good job of exploiting the increased power because it still keeps the same final drive ratio.

Last edited:
Depends where you're trying to play. If you're trying to be hyper competitive and beating top drivers at time trials, then you'll probably need to figure out how best to tweak cars to keep up.

If you're just playing the single player content, then there's no need to even enter the tuning menu unless you need to restrict a car's power/weight. I've played through pretty much all of the main game with completely stock cars and had a blast.

I just watched a basic turning video. I got lost and confused most of the time. I do not plan to race online. I do what to get all my books and get cars from the 1960s and all my license (the first one is done). I have upgraded tires and other parts. I hope I did not make things worse for me.
Yup, you will be fine. I never had to tune to play the single player portions of the game.

I use Praianos tunes for fun, it definitely feels better to drive on the single player circuits and I don't quite understand everything there is tuning. You'll be good.

That being said, get ready for a grind because his tunes are excellent and you'll be playing for more money to get better performance out of your cars.

I know what you mean, I was similar when gt7 first came out. Played all the previous games, and my idea of tuning was to just upgrade most things, not making any tweaks to parameters :D.

I've learnt a lot more in gt7, watching videos and this thread in particular, at 1st looked complicated/confusing headache (still is but to lesser degree).

But i've since reverted to either stock, then upgrading tyres (slightly, so not going to racing softs if its a road car :D) and brakes, then things like air filters. And Praiano's tunes, which are great but sometimes I want to keep car in its stock class/level and to admire how it looks in replays. Sadly,way the game is setup, to get most performance for pp, tuners end up raising rear, lowering front a lot, which makes cars look awful, and spoils things slightly.

Plus, it feels like by the time youput stage 4 body weight reduction, high turbo, wide body, racing ports, irreversible changes, you're not driving the car you set out to buy, but something closer to a race car, which can bug me too.

I prefer stock with light upgrade, otherwise I'm prone to spending hours making tweaks to suspension, lsd etc going back and forth between garage and time trial - but thats just me :D.

You may find the calculator app/tool useful thats pinned in tuning menu. I bought that too and you can enter a load of parameters to get a more optimum output for each car, without needing to go crazy on buying parts.

Last edited:
@OP, you can certainly enjoy GT without tuning, but tuning is super fun too.

In general upgrading tyres and parts won't make things bad, unless you go absolutely max power on awful tyres or something extreme.

Upgrading tyres is almost always a good idea as you can gain all round in braking, cornering, and acceleration grip.

Likewise weight reduction helps all round.

The adjustable parts are more complex. But as a very basic start, you can get great results by: adjusting brake balance rearwards to allow more turn in to the corner when braking (if you need it), and putting in a fully custom gearbox and just altering the final drive to give the car more top speed/slower accel Vs less too speed/more accel.

Then there's suspension and LSD which are more complex but it's absolutely fine to just use other people's tunes, or use them as a base to then tweak.

All of my tunes are of cars pre 1971,I rarely use anything modern as the Classics are much more enjoyable,check out The Doc’s Classic Car Tunes Emporium for them.

Yeah, just go through any of the tuning garages here and pick cars that are up to date in your desired pp range. Recommend this dude. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/praianos-tunes-settings-for-gt7.404868/

As much as i appreciate all the time & work that goes into those tunes, i just hate the way they look with the low front & rear jacked up in the air, so i don't ever use any of them. You don't need to have the rear right up in the air to get a decent setup.

There is one really good tune though & it's this one - the rear is only 25mm lower than the front & it drives really nice.

PAGE 2 of his page : Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69 - 550 PP - Sport soft tires - All around

Latest Posts

Back