Can you post leaderboard times from Free Play?

• Thread starter Willicks
  • 14 comments
England
Lichfield
Willicks
voxom87
I ask as last night I jumped on Forza 6 and did what I do at the moment, try and go faster in an S Class car on rivals around the Nurburgring GP circuit, but the servers were down for rivals, on only my 4th lap I went 6 tenths quicker than my previous time of 1:59.1. I couldn't view the leaderboards as the servers were down so went on this morning to see where it's put me and to my horror, it hasn't saved it to the leaderboard! Is this because it was in free play or because the servers were down? It was a 1.58.5 which would have put me 2nd on the hardcore leaderboard :ouch: Gutted.

Cheers!
Will

Free Play does record lap times for the leaderboards. I don't know about the servers being down, but maybe your console lost internet connection at some point? You're offline if you don't get the "NEXT RIVAL" pop-up text when starting a leaderboard-recorded session, but that obviously doesn't mean it can't go offline a few seconds later. I had something like this happen once, but there's always room for improving times later on.

Cheers for confirming it does work normally. My internet connection was fine, I double checked the other services on the Xbox and they were fine. It was their servers as on rivals, multiplayer and the leaderboards it gave me an alert that the forza servers weren't currently available. I thought it would save the time as it was a clean lap with no mods but it's not on their this morning. Well, there's still more time on the table, I've only had the game 6 days! So I'll just make sure I go quicker still ;)
Thanks again matey.

You've figured out the problem in your first sentence. If the servers were down then there was nothing available to let the servers know what you accomplished.

Cheers for confirming it does work normally. My internet connection was fine, I double checked the other services on the Xbox and they were fine. It was their servers as on rivals, multiplayer and the leaderboards it gave me an alert that the forza servers weren't currently available. I thought it would save the time as it was a clean lap with no mods but it's not on their this morning. Well, there's still more time on the table, I've only had the game 6 days! So I'll just make sure I go quicker still ;)
Thanks again matey.

When you say you double checked the other services make sure you don't just check the friends menu and community activity feed, if you disconnect from XBL sometimes this new UI doesn't tell you at all and whenever you check the friends menu and activity feed it just remains in the state it was before you disconnected (which is not helpful at all MS!). Also within Forza you'll get the server not available message a couple of times and then it will say something along the lines of "gamer profile could not be verified" which is when I finally figure I'm not actually signed in any more, even just a couple of seconds of lost internet connection can cause this.

When you say you double checked the other services make sure you don't just check the friends menu and community activity feed, if you disconnect from XBL sometimes this new UI doesn't tell you at all and whenever you check the friends menu and activity feed it just remains in the state it was before you disconnected (which is not helpful at all MS!). Also within Forza you'll get the server not available message a couple of times and then it will say something along the lines of "gamer profile could not be verified" which is when I finally figure I'm not actually signed in any more, even just a couple of seconds of lost internet connection can cause this.
My internet connection isn't the best, so I always check what's going on by refreshing my home screen on the Xbox one with double trigger and the Y button, I can tell if my internet is down if the Xbox live related advertising squares don't pop back up and a big grey square pops up with "connect to Xbox live". I can also judge how my speed is doing by how quickly they do pop up, if I refresh and it takes awhile for them to come up, I know my speed is slower.

My internet connection isn't the best, so I always check what's going on by refreshing my home screen on the Xbox one with double trigger and the Y button, I can tell if my internet is down if the Xbox live related advertising squares don't pop back up and a big grey square pops up with "connect to Xbox live". I can also judge how my speed is doing by how quickly they do pop up, if I refresh and it takes awhile for them to come up, I know my speed is slower.

I haven't heard of this refresh method before so thanks for posting it, should hopefully save me some confusion when it occurs again. 👍

I haven't heard of this refresh method before so thanks for posting it, should hopefully save me some confusion when it occurs again. 👍
When I first got my Xbox, I used to restart it when my internet would go out then come back on, I figured there had to be another way so I googled it. It works the best if you hold down one trigger first, then depress the other one and then Y, if you do both triggers at once, it don't work so good. If your at the top of your home page, press the right trigger first then the left. Vise versa if your on the bottom. You'll be able to tell when you do it right, it makes a swoosh noise and refreshes the page. :cheers:

Thanks all. I was about to reply to Im_Lukas to say I did only check my friends but thinking about it I actually went onto the Forza Hub and the marketplace too, the hub was fine but the market place would load the car packs but not the payment options... maybe it was my internet actually then! It looked like all of the usual homepage advertising was kicking around but it could've been me in that case. Does it not save the fast lap in game even if you're not online?
It's no biggy though, my main concern was whether it was due to me being in free play to be honest! I can understand it if the servers/my internet aren't/isn't working.

Thanks all. I was about to reply to Im_Lukas to say I did only check my friends but thinking about it I actually went onto the Forza Hub and the marketplace too, the hub was fine but the market place would load the car packs but not the payment options... maybe it was my internet actually then! It looked like all of the usual homepage advertising was kicking around but it could've been me in that case. Does it not save the fast lap in game even if you're not online?
It's no biggy though, my main concern was whether it was due to me being in free play to be honest! I can understand it if the servers/my internet aren't/isn't working.
Since there are no local leaderboards, offline times will not save. Would be nice, for situations like this though.

Since there are no local leaderboards, offline times will not save. Would be nice, for situations like this though.
Shame isn't it, seems daft you can do quick laps offline and it doesn't save them. Not everyone has access to the internet so how would they ever save their progress? Luckily I do have the internet (when it works haha)

Shame isn't it, seems daft you can do quick laps offline and it doesn't save them. Not everyone has access to the internet so how would they ever save their progress? Luckily I do have the internet (when it works haha)

The leaderboards aren't very useful for keeping track of progress anyway. The class-based system quickly rules out the incentive to use many cars for this purpose. Faster cars eventually overwrite slower cars. Still, they could easily have offline spreadsheets keeping track of every car (stock and modified).

The leaderboards aren't very useful for keeping track of progress anyway. The class-based system quickly rules out the incentive to use many cars for this purpose. Faster cars eventually overwrite slower cars. Still, they could easily have offline spreadsheets keeping track of every car (stock and modified).
I wish they would bring back local leaderboards, so that way I can compare which are the fastest of my cars in a given catagory. I have so many tuned A-Class cars, that I'll sometimes overlook a good one, or just forget about it completely.

I'm not going to lie, the leaderboards work well for me as I do pick a top car and tune and try to go as quick as I can. I like to pitch myself against the top as it gives me something to aim for. And as I love doing hot laps it works well for me :)
Goal one is quickest with no driver aids, then top of the lot eventually. But once I've exhausted that circuit I'll move to another for a bit. Then after a bit I'll go to another car or class.

Currently 1 tenth off the fastest hardcore leaderboard time. So close!! Was ahead but hopped the kerb on the second apex of the final chicane :( haha.

Back