Can you purposely hit someone and give THEM a penalty?

• Thread starter zibs_2000
  • 25 comments
wylde_one
While I was playing on Suzuka the other night, I went wide on a corner and was bumped on the inside by someone passing me, and I got the ramming penalty. I didn't think much of it until two corners later the person who hit me is sitting on the side of the track, as I pulled up to them, they pulled back into the track and a few corners later they bump me on the inside and I get the penalty again. This went on the whole race, with me being bumped 7 times in 5 laps (2 times were without penalty)
This leads me to believe the guy/girl was practicing this technique. I hope this isn't going to become a popular way of gaining positions in races.

Eh, it's rubbish because if someone comes up your inside at speed, they're always going to hit you, and if they're braking, they won't ghost.

Another annoyance is people brakechecking on the straight when you're drafting them, to give you a penalty.

I find the best thing to do if someone's too close and ducks inside coming into a turn, is to back off a bit and switch to their inside after the apex. They're bound to run wide because they planned to use you as a brake, so you get the position back.

Last edited:
yea if they hit your inside the game thinks you're trying to illegally cut them off at at the corner...it's dumb.

Personally I think if you're more than 85% on the brakes, your car should act like a ghost without looking like a ghost. I think this would get rid of a TON of ramming problems we have, since almost every time I'm pushed off the track it's while I'm slowing down for a corner. The other times I'm pushed off are simply when I'm passing some guy or some guy is passing me and he just bumps me. Which...that is quite a bit harder to code properly.

The main problem is we want cars real to get in our way so we have to change our lines and brake points every lap...but we want cars as ghosts if they were are going to intrude into our space. So you have to find what attributes make up a car that is either out of control or determined to hit you.

Last edited:
I've found that if your wheels are turned toward the other car (and they must be if they're inside you in the corner) that if you touch them, or they touch you, you get a penalty.

Yesterday I passed a guy clean 2 times at Fuji. Both times the next corner he dove inside me and I got a penalty. Then he started messaging me gloating that he beat me. But that's another thread...

If I know they are going to do that I will put my inside tires in the grass or try to slow down enough to make them miss me in the corner and run wide.

Do I need to say it?

Has happened to me a few times. On the 2nd main turn on Fuji (the left), I've been hit off the track or been pushed while braking, and it gives me short cut and contact penalties. It's really a shame when you're just trying to race nicely.

It also happens a lot at the entrance to the chicane on Fuji. A following car can miss it's braking point, slide into you - you get the penalty and they drive away. :grumpy:

Which is why I personally can't be bothered with GT5p online until they fix that. Last time I played on the HSR Evo vs. Impreza race, I kept getting bumped by this same guy in a blue Spec C, as in three races in a row. He never won, but I kept finishing way down on where I should have been.

So in the fourth race I found myself brake testing him on the straight as he was steaming up behind me making no indication at attempting a pass (which was all to familiar to me at that point), which sent him crashing into the wall, spinning and hitting the wall on the other side, and effectively put him out of the running. He deserved it, but I don't want to have to race like that to finish where my ability and car set up would place me, nor do I want to have a good race ruined by... people like that.

And as for Fuji, I never race there any more due to being rammed into the entrance of the chicane (as in the bit of Armco that's not there on the F1 circuit) as Desmo pointed out. Normally not by cars missing their braking point, though, just bitter, vindictive people who don't know how to drive faster than you!

I have also given up on GT5p online racing untill private rooms are ready. I do not enjoy being bumped/rammed and pushed off the road. It takes all the fun out of it because it's not competitive anymore. They can keep the current engine/penalties as long as i know i'm racing with clean/fair drivers it's not a problem. :)👍

The penalty system seems to be all over the place & usually wrong. I've been given penalties for 'cutting the track' when someone has hit me off & im heading towards the wall/sand trap, which makes no sense to me, been given ones for cutting the track when i've stuffed up a corner, slowed right down, made no advantage yet get a penalty, had a collision penalty with someone who i didn't even hit because of shocking lag (his car was actually miles up the road no where near me) & a few days ago was running in a close pack at the final chicane at suzuka. The car right in front of me comes to a dead stop, so i have no where else to go but into the rear of them, then a driver behind me hits me because of the concertina effect & he gets the penalty, which was hardly fair as the car in front of me caused that entire accident. But for now there's nothing you can do about it, just hope PD fix it in coming updates.

Actually, I heard PD modeled their penalty system after F1's, with 3 AI racing stewards that have their heads up their virtual asses. Just another effort by PD to add more realism. :dunce:

something I never understood...and it happens a ton on fuji...

So going into turn 1, if the person on the outside turns in and touches the person on the inside, the person on the outside gets penalized 5 seconds. Yet if the person on the inside tracks out to the edge coming out of turn 1, and pushes the person on the outside off the track they get something.

WHO has ever been rammed by the person on the outside, pushing them TOWARDS the corner?? WHY does a penalty exist for basically keeping a person on the track?!

something I never understood...and it happens a ton on fuji...

So going into turn 1, if the person on the outside turns in and touches the person on the inside, the person on the outside gets penalized 5 seconds. Yet if the person on the inside tracks out to the edge coming out of turn 1, and pushes the person on the outside off the track they get something.

WHO has ever been rammed by the person on the outside, pushing them TOWARDS the corner?? WHY does a penalty exist for basically keeping a person on the track?!

Sounds like the penalty is for not giving racing room.

Sounds like the penalty is for not giving racing room.

Which I would understand, except when I turn in there is room...people dive bomb the inside and sometimes they hit me and sometimes I hit them (I expect somebody to ghost due to angles, but sometimes it doesn't happen). If we were truly side-by-side at the turn in point I would have let them have it and just tucked in behind and inside.

I've said it a million times, but this game rewards bad and shady driving and it really needs to be fixed. And not with more penalties, they need more complex methods for determining ghosts.

Which I would understand, except when I turn in there is room...people dive bomb the inside and sometimes they hit me and sometimes I hit them (I expect somebody to ghost due to angles, but sometimes it doesn't happen). If we were truly side-by-side at the turn in point I would have let them have it and just tucked in behind and inside.

I've said it a million times, but this game rewards bad and shady driving and it really needs to be fixed. And not with more penalties, they need more complex methods for determining ghosts.

But in real racing people "dive bomb" all the time and still expect/are given racing room,if you expect a car to "ghost" than that shows you arent willing to give that car room wether you think you've gave them enough room or not.

Here's another oddity I've come across. I've gotten a shortcut penalty for going WIDE on a turn!?!?!?

happerns to me to mate. mostly at fuji. I just think- I should get a long cut boost not a short penalty!! And I hate it how I get one for trimming the corner and other people take short cuts and don't get one...

It also happens a lot at the entrance to the chicane on Fuji. A following car can miss it's braking point, slide into you - you get the penalty and they drive away. :grumpy:

Yeah i`ve been caught out by that a few times whether it`s accidental or not,it`s a bit of a pain, Can even be your accidental fault too by braking a bit late or carrying extra speed from a draft :guilty:

this happens and thats why alot of people moan about PD not fixing this.
The first couple games I ever played, this happened to me. I am sure they will eventually fix it but if someone rams me there is no reason at all I should get the penalty. Online was still enjoyable and I think they have potential to get this right.

Revenge tactic for me is...

Slightly nudge them off and steal their racing line. (dont ram them off your theres a chance you will spin somehow)

Dont forget Ive never posted this :mischievous:

But in real racing people "dive bomb" all the time and still expect/are given racing room,if you expect a car to "ghost" than that shows you arent willing to give that car room wether you think you've gave them enough room or not.

the difference between a GT dive bomb and a real life dive bomb is that in real life after they've dive bombed they can still make the corner. Where as in GT5 the ONLY way they can make the corner is by hitting the other car.

And I expect them to ghost because 85% of the time they do, and they should.

There is one simple formula to solve all these issues:

private rooms + damage + eliminate all penalties

I am not an expert but if you are going 100+ mph with two wheels on asphalt and two wheels on grass shouldn't you spin out of control?

Depends on the driving situation, I've seen cars ram you and you suffer , then again I've seen cars appear to ram you and ghost out , primarily in a braking situation is where it seems to happen most of the time , just one of PD's glitches I suppose.

Back