cannot delete smileys on Reply box using Android phone

Skygrasper550

Back and forth between gaming and Gunpla
Premium
Philippines
Philippines
skygrasper_550--
Yesterday i was browsing through GTP using my new LG G3 Stylus. This phone has, by no means, an outdated version of the Android OS. I was replying to a thread when i accidentally clicked the Reply button on another post, so I tried to delete it from the Reply box. I got rid of everything (plain text, Quote tags, etc.) but not the smileys that were part of the reply. Weird, I thought. So I moved my cursor again after the set of smileys and hit the Backspace button, and the cursor just skipped across the smileys and moved towards the left side of the Reply box O_o I'm like "WTF, this isn't right" . I added a smiley to that set just to test if the problem was just in the copying of the post, and I was wrong. The cursor just skipped over the new smiley when I hit Backspace. I tried clearing the cache, form data, etc. But that didn't solve the problem.

I need clarification - are you talking about a post you made or a draft that you were typing up but never posted?

TB
I need clarification - are you talking about a post you made or a draft that you were typing up but never posted?

It's a reply to a post that I was making. I was going to quote someone else's post, but accidentally quoted another post.

I did some experimenting on the draft feature, too. I tried to insert a smiley to a reply and tried to delete said smiley before AND after the Draft Save feature kicked in. No bacon, unfortunately.

I used to get that issue using a Sony Xperia with Android. Deleting any smiley seemed not to work, for example when my fat finger would select the wrong one.

At first I found that adding one or two full stops (periods) immediately after the smiley, without any spaces, & then using backspace would get rid of it.

Now if it happens I can highlight the smiley as if I was going to copy/paste etc. & then use either backspace or the "cut" option.

Another method would be to use the non-rich text editor perhaps?

I used to get that issue using a Sony Xperia with Android. Deleting any smiley seemed not to work, for example when my fat finger would select the wrong one.

At first I found that adding one or two full stops (periods) immediately after the smiley, without any spaces, & then using backspace would get rid of it.

Now if it happens I can highlight the smiley as if I was going to copy/paste etc. & then use either backspace or the "cut" option.

Another method would be to use the non-rich text editor perhaps?

Yes! Glad I'm not the only one who experiences this problem :lol:

I tried what you did; adding two periods right after the smiley and hitting backspace, still no bacon though. :guilty:

Yes! Glad I'm not the only one who experiences this problem :lol:

I tried what you did; adding two periods right after the smiley and hitting backspace, still no bacon though. :guilty:
I'm not sure, but thinking back, there may have been more to it. Possibly it was insert a period immediately before the smiley then two letters immediately after then backspace. Definitely no spaces though.

I've found that highlighting the offending smiley as if it were text works fine so I've now forgotten exactly how I used to do it.

I've had the same problem, I get around it by manually typing in the smileys instead of selecting them from the smiley button.

Mallet and Dino already mentioned it;

mallet.jpg

Same issue on my phone, but selecting this editor will easily remove the emoticons.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation in the Android browser and can't be fixed.

You can still remove the smileys by highlighting them and then deleting, or by using the basic editor as mentioned above.

Mallet and Dino already mentioned it;

View attachment 352188

Same issue on my phone, but selecting this editor will easily remove the emoticons.

Yeah I saw that wrench thing on the top right area of the Reply box yesterday. Haven't used it yet, but I'll give it a try some time soon. Right now I'm using a PC to browse GTP.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation in the Android browser and can't be fixed.

You can still remove the smileys by highlighting them and then deleting, or by using the basic editor as mentioned above.

Oh, I see. Well, that's a shame. Being a programmer myself, I understand the capabilities and limitations of software and such, so I'm not entirely surprised to know about this.

I tried highlighting the smileys but I can't seem to do so with the phone. Well at least the other workaround for this is far away from being a hassle. I'll be trying the BB Code Editor later that other people here have suggested.

Thank you all for the assistance. :cheers:

Back