Canoscan Scan Gear Takes Forever To Open Up Image In Photoshop CS5

United States
Adrian, Mich.
cargorat323
CargoRatt
Ok guys, ran into a problem I just can't seem to solve. I am running Windows 7 with 8GB memory. Photoshop CS5. Canon 4200F scanner. Everything worked fine from day one when I bought the scanner new, then one day, for no apparent reason, the scanner software would freeze when trying to open up the Canoscan toolbox. I uninstalled all drivers, Canoscan Toolbox, and started fresh again. Everything worked like it should except now it takes forever, almost 5 minutes, to open up the image in Photoshop. To me, this would indicate a memory problem but that's just my best guess. I have no other programs running and like I said, all I did was re-install the software. All drivers are correct and updated, just the same as originally installed. Dialog box pops up as normal saying transferring image to Photoshop, it just takes forever to do so. I even have Photoshop already opened and running, its the transferring of image that takes forever. I'm scanning at 300 dpi, just as before when it was working correctly before. I've tried scanning at a lower resolution, 72 dpi, and that doesn't make a difference. I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out, but this one has me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try running MSI Afterburner while you try to use the software, set it to graph your CPU, RAM and pagefile (and anything else relevant that I can't remember right now). You should be able to see where the bottleneck is, if it is your hardware. You can also use performance (or maybe resource, can't remember) monitor to do the same but I don't think that logs it, but it does show you your disk I/O and I can't remember if Afterburner does that or not.

You could also try uninstalling it again then use CCleaner to (try to) make sure the registry is clear of any references to it, then install again.

Ok, so I did some experimenting and used the Scan 2 button in the Canoscan Toolbox. I linked Photoshop to open up the images and everything works perfect now, just as it should and did before. The Scan 1 button is still having the same issues as before though. Kinda weird if you ask me. I have a ton of scanning to do for eBay right now but after I'm done, I think I'll run CCleaner and start from scratch as suggested unless someone can tell me why the weird issues with the buttons or if I should just leave well enough alone for now. Thanks for the suggestions and input @neema_t and @Grayfox And just fyi @Grayfox the same issues occur, with the Scan 1 button, no matter what program I link to open up the images.

Back