Can't find driver for ethernet card.

So I installed windows on a blank hard drive on a different computer because the previous drive got corrupted. But one problem I'm having is finding the driver for my Ethernet card. Without it that computer wont connect to the internet. When I opened up the PC to look for the product number all it says on the card is 'Amphenol.' I tried googling it and everything else I could think of and couldn't find anything. Does anybody know how to find the driver?

EDIT: I'll go take a couple pictures to put up on here. Maybe that'll help.
p0609090000.jpg

Last edited:
If you go to Control Panel>System>Device Manager, is there anything worthwhile under network adapters? I would guess not but it's worth a try.

I'm guessing this is a separate card? Are there other labeled chips on the card? Perhaps underneath?

Yeah, I don't know. Finding the computer model wouldn't be a bad idea.

Get CPU-Z, transfer it over, install it and check what it says under mainboard.

Well now this computer is giving me trouble. Say I were to connect my old corrupted hard drive to the other computer as a slave, would I be able to transfer the driver from it to the new hard drive?

Of course, but you need to know what model it is. Does it not have the model number on the PC???

It doesn't have 'Network Adapters.' But under 'Other' it has 'Ethernet Controller.'

You're in the right area, does it have an expansion option for Ethernet Controller?

It will be in the device manager, all hardware is, unless it isn't correctly installed/dead.

You could get it from the other drive, but I'd advise against transferring anything from a corrupted drive to a fresh drive, besides there isn't really a need to as the other process is quite simple.

I presume you haven't got any of the installation discs for the hardware on the PC?

Just to check on the Device Manager, click Action> Scan for hardware changes to ensure it's up to date.

Just to check on the Device Manager, click Action> Scan for hardware changes to ensure it's up to date.

I'll try that now. I'll update in a few minutes.

EDIT: It doesn't give me the 'Scan for hardware changes' option in the 'Action' panel. But if I right click on the hardware i can Scan for changes. but when I do a little box saying "Scanning Plug and Play compliant hardware." pops up, then the screen blinks and the box disappears and nothing else happens.

EDITx2: Is it possible for anyone to give me step by step instructions on how to transfer and install the driver from this computer or the laptop to the other computer?

Last edited:
Is this an onboard card? If so, find the model of the motherboard. Then you'll know which driver to get.

Is this an onboard card? If so, find the model of the motherboard. Then you'll know which driver to get.

Here's what I found on the motherboard: ASUS A7N266 VM AA

I searched a little bit and found a driver I think MIGHT work. As soon as I can get my mom off the laptop I'll download it to there and put it on a floppy since this computer is giving me troubles.

In the Device Manager find the broken Ethernet Adapter listing, it should have a Yellow Question mark over the top, click on it once. On the top row of icons their should be one that if you mouse over reads "Update/Install Driver Software", or something of the like. Click on that, go through the prompts until it asks you to locate the Drive Software Manually, navigate to the folder where you've extracted the files from the ZIP file you downloaded above, and hopefully that should work.

In the Device Manager find the broken Ethernet Adapter listing, it should have a Yellow Question mark over the top, click on it once. On the top row of icons their should be one that if you mouse over reads "Update/Install Driver Software", or something of the like. Click on that, go through the prompts until it asks you to locate the Drive Software Manually, navigate to the folder where you've extracted the files from the ZIP file you downloaded above, and hopefully that should work.

Tried that and it didn't work. Using my basic thinking skills I'm going to assume that means it's the wrong driver.

Here's the info I managed to get by looking inside it though.

ASUS Motherboard
A7N266 - VNM/AA
Amphenol

I just searched the board alone and looks like there may be some drivers here for you ... http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Well the direct link wont work and they want you to search for them manually the sods :lol: So here's how I searched ...

Use the input model to search function at the top left hand side and enter your motherboard number and click ALL as the category, a new page will open with similar versions of your board and click the VNM/AA model it will then ask what operating system do you want the drivers for? I clicked the XP option and it came up with list of files ... click Others and you'll find a few bundle packs for Mainboard and LAN drivers ... might be work a look :)

Good luck with it anyway 👍

Last edited:
Well I managed to find and install all the required drivers I needed. I'm doing this from the computer I needed them on which makes it obvious that it's working now. Thanks a lot for the help! +imaginary rep to all that helped!👍

Back